49er's to play in Grady Cole Summer League

Are there any NCAA regulations banning this? I figure there must be considering it could be viewed as “practice” (patiently awaiting an Iverson "PRACTICE? comment)

Are there any NCAA regulations banning this? I figure there must be considering it could be viewed as “practice” (patiently awaiting an Iverson "PRACTICE? comment)[/quote]It can’t be a practice if it’s not supervised by the coaches. The Summer League is a collection of pick-up games with matching jerseys and refs.

What is the purpose of this league?

to stay somewhat in shape for the season, hang out with some veteran/professional players and pick their brains about the game, work on ball handling or shooting or whatever needs work.

$100 to the person who compiles 10 years of summer pro-am league threads. Would be fun to look back. As Chi said, Phaler and dumptruck were unstoppable and we were sweet 16 bound. Last year it was Shamari would be a threat all over the court; dunks jumping flat-footed off put backs. A couple years ago we proclaimed Rashad Coleman the next D Wade. Then there were some that panned out. Rodney White tore up the league. Withers did well.

It can happen, but you’d need somebody affiliated with the 49ers as a coach to make it happen. And by affiliated I don’t mean the athletic department. I mean somebody like Griffin Tires becomes a team in the league and they make somebody like Dijuan Harris the coach.

The other team sponsors and coaches have their own connections, people they want on their team and people they want to play with.

What does it cost to sponsor a team? I might chip in for a Niner Nation.Netsters team but I want to be the coach one week.

When the schedule comes out, I’ll try to see if I can get work around it. I never get to go because of work.

Braz plays at 9 tonight

per Shamari on twitter

For the fans there will be players from team playing in every game tonight downtown at grady cole starting at 7

to stay somewhat in shape for the season, hang out with some veteran/professional players and pick their brains about the game, work on ball handling or shooting or whatever needs work.[/quote]

Seems like the risk (of injury) is greater than the reward.

i would agree. so who is going tonight? i would love to hear how some of our guys play. contrary to what some on this board say, they actually do play decent defense in this league so it is not exactly like watching the and1 streetball tour.

to stay somewhat in shape for the season, hang out with some veteran/professional players and pick their brains about the game, work on ball handling or shooting or whatever needs work.[/quote]

Seems like the risk (of injury) is greater than the reward.[/quote]

I don’t see how the risk is any greater than in playing pickup games or doing drills with teammates on campus. It is a good experience and a fun way to stay in shape…can’t have them sitting around playing xbox all summer just because it means they won’t get injured.

Im down for going tonight at 7 with a Penguin visit afterwards of course! who is with me???

are briscoe, luka or demario playing tonight?

I wish I was still in Charlotte. Please provide updates. Some video of Briscoe or Voncina would be nice as well since we have never seen them play.

[quote=“Cha_49, post:34, topic:23473”]Im down for going tonight at 7 with a Penguin visit afterwards of course! who is with me???[/quote]Tempting tempting, especially since the fried pickles at Lebowski’s aren’t up to the Penguin’s standards.

Luka is doubtful…I think he is still overseas?

Lamont will be there for the 9pm game

JT Terrell is playing at 9 tonight also according to his facebook.