$500K Reduction in TV Revenue Next Year

More ESPN sinking ship articles…

Last year, for instance, Disney/ESPN signed a new deal with the NBA that will cost the network $1.4 billion per year over nine years to show professional basketball games, three times the amount of the previous rights agreement.

clt says that is dumb, and it explains why espn is pushing the nba so much.

ESPN apparently wasn’t a factor in C-USA’s current TV negotiations. They may not even have rebid on our Champ Game contract.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:23, topic:30112”]ESPN apparently wasn’t a factor in C-USA’s current TV negotiations. They may not even have rebid on our Champ Game contract.[/quote]I was kind of hoping ESPN and ASN would both be included in the next deal since ASN has been partnering with ESPN lately to have their broadcasts on ESPN3.

This will be the new normal for conferences that don’t rhyme with “Jack.”

The MAC is sitting pretty. They’re built to survive, and maybe even flourish, in a landscape like this. The rest of us should sit down, set our egos aside, and follow their blueprint.

Unfortunately, egos will prevent anything from happening. Even if the NCAA would allow tournament waivers for conferences as a result of a mass realignment, too many folks would rather sink with Rice and La Tech than stay afloat with Ga State and App.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:25, topic:30112”]This will be the new normal for conferences that don’t rhyme with “Jack.”

The MAC is sitting pretty. They’re built to survive, and maybe even flourish, in a landscape like this. The rest of us should sit down, set our egos aside, and follow their blueprint.

Unfortunately, egos will prevent anything from happening. Even if the NCAA would allow tournament waivers for conferences as a result of a mass realignment, too many folks would rather sink with Rice and La Tech than stay afloat with Ga State and App.[/quote]

Not me. I would love it. Drivable games. Regional rivalries. That’s the only thing that can break through the lock the P5 has on college sports.

[quote=“Gassman, post:26, topic:30112”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:25, topic:30112”]This will be the new normal for conferences that don’t rhyme with “Jack.”

Unfortunately, egos will prevent anything from happening. Even if the NCAA would allow tournament waivers for conferences as a result of a mass realignment, too many folks would rather sink with Rice and La Tech than stay afloat with Ga State and App.[/quote]

Not me. I would love it. Drivable games. Regional rivalries. That’s the only thing that can break through the lock the P5 has on college sports.[/quote]
I’ve been saying it for years…

[quote=“hootie, post:27, topic:30112”][quote=“Gassman, post:26, topic:30112”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:25, topic:30112”]This will be the new normal for conferences that don’t rhyme with “Jack.”

Not me. I would love it. Drivable games. Regional rivalries. That’s the only thing that can break through the lock the P5 has on college sports.[/quote]
I’ve been saying it for years…[/quote]

Are some of you proposing we move to the Big South? Even Davidson and ASU have left the SoCon and moved on to “greener” pastures.

I’ll take being in a conference with AAC schools like Cinci, Memphis, ECU, UCONN, and the likes over being in a conference with Furman, Elon, WCU, Citadel, etc. With that said, I had just as soon be playing schools like App and ECU as I had schools that have F_U for their initials. So yes, I prefer the old CUSA-1 over anything we’ve ever had, but I’m not that crazy about CUSA-3.

I think we are proposing that the G5 regionalize which would put us in a conference with App, ECU, Coastal, GA southern, Ga state, old dominion, Marshall, MT, WK, UAB, Memphis, south Alabama, Troy, or some combination of those schools. Maybe a couple of FCS schools thrown into the mix as well.

Memphis and ECU would not go along with that proposal. Personally, I had rather us try to join them in the AAC. Of course, that means leadership, football expansion, etc, etc, etc. There is something to be said about being one notch above the rest of the field. Perception is important when it comes to colleges and universities. If nothing else, it helps attract more and better students.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/harry-minium/conference-usa-officials-meet-this-week-in-florida-but-football/article_f2b088fb-cfa6-5a1b-b85b-b12fd1f1e918.html

Link probably wont work, so here is an excerpt:

The conference's new television package is expected to be the prime topic for discussion. The league's TV contracts with Fox Sports, the CBS Sports Network and the American Sports Network all expire in July, as does the contract with ESPN to televise the football championship game.

We reported two weeks ago that C-USA is close to new finalizing deals with Fox Sports and the CBS Sports Network that will provide C-USA with significantly less revenue than the previous contract.

Morrison-Archer said two weeks ago that the TV deals were not done and that C-USA continued to negotiate with multiple TV partners.

The AAC won’t go along with it. It would have to be the SBC, C-USA, and MWC coming to their senses and regionalizing.

From what I’ve seen on the C-USA boards, the hardest part would be convincing LaTech fans that it makes more sense for them to travel to Lafayette or Monroe every year than to Norfolk or Miami.

FWIW I have been enjoying watching our away games on ASN on regular tv: http://americansportsnet.com/schedule/

They’ve got the FIU game. So nice to be able to watch this without getting some crappy internet stream. Not sure if that relates to this future deal or not, but refreshing none the less.

[quote=“Ben H, post:33, topic:30112”]FWIW I have been enjoying watching our away games on ASN on regular tv: http://americansportsnet.com/schedule/

They’ve got the FIU game. So nice to be able to watch this without getting some crappy internet stream. Not sure if that relates to this future deal or not, but refreshing none the less.[/quote]

ASN streamed every game they broadcasted in 2014. Last year they streamed nothing.

If they bring back streaming, I’ll take them in a heartbeat. If they don’t, they’re pretty worthless for the conference as a whole. No excuse to be on a network that is legally unobtainable in any market within the conference’s footprint.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:34, topic:30112”][quote=“Ben H, post:33, topic:30112”]FWIW I have been enjoying watching our away games on ASN on regular tv: http://americansportsnet.com/schedule/

They’ve got the FIU game. So nice to be able to watch this without getting some crappy internet stream. Not sure if that relates to this future deal or not, but refreshing none the less.[/quote]

ASN streamed every game they broadcasted in 2014. Last year they streamed nothing.

If they bring back streaming, I’ll take them in a heartbeat. If they don’t, they’re pretty worthless for the conference as a whole. No excuse to be on a network that is legally unobtainable in any market within the conference’s footprint.[/quote]Their streaming partner dropped them right before the season this year I think. They were looking for something new, but I doubt that is something they can line up quickly.

With all the ESPN3 streaming agreements they’ve been signing, my guess is they’re trying to work on a partnership with ESPN3 to stream their games.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:34, topic:30112”][quote=“Ben H, post:33, topic:30112”]FWIW I have been enjoying watching our away games on ASN on regular tv: http://americansportsnet.com/schedule/

If they bring back streaming, I’ll take them in a heartbeat. If they don’t, they’re pretty worthless for the conference as a whole. No excuse to be on a network that is legally unobtainable in any market within the conference’s footprint.[/quote]

Yeah, ideally we get some $$$billion deal with ESPN, and I hope we move towards something better, but in the meantime I certainly like being able to watch Niner games on regular tv without cable/sattelite. I’m sure the same could be said for those living in the Triad, NW corner of the state, and Myrtle Beach. Not everyone lives in Charlotte.

They’re in LA Tech’s market, Middle Tennessee… Marshall… I’m really not going to look up the rest.

But yeah, if they offered streaming for everyone else it would be nice. I was just putting it out there if anyone lives in those markets I mentioned you can watch the Niners on regular TV, which some of us like to do.

Ben, the issue is that there is no ASN affiliate in Charlotte, and that’s where most of the fanbase is.

I dont think WCCB is going to sell to Sinclair. I’m not sure how interested they’d be or how costly a deal to get all ASN content on their main channel would be.

What this program needs is to get all of its road games in both revenue sports on local TV (witha single partner), plus a fair amount of home games. People need to be able to flip on any TV and see them without having to mess with OTA antenna subchannels, or chanel # 14623 on cable, sporadically.

Also, Halton needs to be wired or whatever other tech upgrades, to broadcast in HD. The claim that it cannot be is assinine. I can literally transfer better than HD streaming video out of there on my cell phone.

I feel like Halton’s sound has actually gotten worse over the past decade, and I agree with the HD video.

Maybe it just doesn’t sound as good when there are half as many fans in the seats.

Maybe it just doesn’t sound as good when there are half as many fans in the seats.[/quote]

I think they just cant find anyone that can run sound worth a crap. The fact that we have sound issues in both football and basketball tell me it’s less equipment and more skill.