$500K Reduction in TV Revenue Next Year

We’ve got to find a way into the AAC soon.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:1, topic:30112”]http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/basketball/sources-conference-usa-odu-will-see-vastly-reduced-tv-revenue/article_f89181d1-f34f-58fc-9e73-53809bbbcc60.html

We’ve got to find a way into the AAC soon.[/quote]

clt waits for the sec cash.

Yikes, that puts it around the MAC level (although without being mandated to play mid-week games).

From one of the posters over on the CUSA board:

“[font=verdana][size=13px]ASN will soon be paying for rights. CUSA threw them an olive branch to help them get on their feet and they are expanding. The answer to this issue is having as many tv deals as possible. I’ve also heard ESPN is not entirely off the table. Expect ESPN to NOT be able to pay AAC, MAC, MWC, & Sunbelt conference as much next time either. They’ve lost revenue. We were just in unfortunate situation of having our deal with major networks come up first after all the streaming issues cut into network revenues.”[/size][/font]

My question is what the NCAA will do to keep 282 teams from the brink of insolvency when the other 65 are making tens of millions per year?

Will the NCAA jettison everything outside the P5 and just administer them? It does not sound like the P5 would go for that, and instead would set up their own organization. The NCAA could oversee the 282 and lose the 65, but they do not want that because they need lots of cash for their own bloated, well-paid staff. I think that the only way the NCAA continues to survive is if they can find a way to keep all of this working. Division I basketball already does a lot of revenue sharing from the money printing press that is the NCAA Tournament, so maybe they will have to convince the P5 schools to share revenues to keep us afloat, or maybe they will need to change rules so that media contracts are at the NCAA level instead of with conferences.

I could absolutely see the P5 agreeing to a revenue sharing model that was split with some of the non-P5 teams. Maybe the G5 survives and everyone else becomes Div II. Long term I do not see a free-standing P5 league surviving. Alabama would always be a winner, and Vanderbilt would always be a loser, and the losers would have to leave to keep their fans. Otherwise, they would be like App during basketball season with every Commodore on campus wearing UT orange. That is not a recipe for success. 65 teams would become 55, and there would be new losers, and then they would have to bail over time. Nope, the P5 has to share to keep what they have.

I have seen us on regular tv in the raleigh-durham market due to ASN. Pretty awesome, I hope that we can weather this storm together.

[quote=“Nugget, post:5, topic:30112”]My question is what the NCAA will do to keep 282 teams from the brink of insolvency when the other 65 are making tens of millions per year?

Will the NCAA jettison everything outside the P5 and just administer them? It does not sound like the P5 would go for that, and instead would set up their own organization. The NCAA could oversee the 282 and lose the 65, but they do not want that because they need lots of cash for their own bloated, well-paid staff. I think that the only way the NCAA continues to survive is if they can find a way to keep all of this working. Division I basketball already does a lot of revenue sharing from the money printing press that is the NCAA Tournament, so maybe they will have to convince the P5 schools to share revenues to keep us afloat, or maybe they will need to change rules so that media contracts are at the NCAA level instead of with conferences.

I could absolutely see the P5 agreeing to a revenue sharing model that was split with some of the non-P5 teams. Maybe the G5 survives and everyone else becomes Div II. Long term I do not see a free-standing P5 league surviving. Alabama would always be a winner, and Vanderbilt would always be a loser, and the losers would have to leave to keep their fans. Otherwise, they would be like App during basketball season with every Commodore on campus wearing UT orange. That is not a recipe for success. 65 teams would become 55, and there would be new losers, and then they would have to bail over time. Nope, the P5 has to share to keep what they have.[/quote]

Dynamics change when you stop looking at all P5s as “haves” vs the rest of us as have nots. Sure the money that P5 schools bring in is absurd, but inside of that you have the Bamas and Oregon of the world and then you have the Vandy and Wake Forests.

I do think the future - if they care about the bigger picture of college football, will include some revenue sharing. I really do like the NCAA administering TV deals, but it brings into question conflict of interest if the NCAA knows punishing school #1 will impact TV ratings. It is almost like the NCAA needs to form a committee of various conferences and lead the negotiating without owning it and having said group come to an agreement on sharing a certain level of the revenue.

The P5 could break away and I was worried about this for years, but the actual dynamics of how that plays out make it less likely. In addition to what you state it means now they would have to create their own basketball tourny and set up competition for all kinds of sports not named football. Not sure any of those schools are interested in that when the NCAA is right there.

Have to agree with Nugget & NWA.

But on a more micro level, there is no ASN affiliate in Charlotte and so it would suck for us long term to be in bed with them (unless that changes).

No offense to WCCB, who have been a good partner during our startup phase, but waiting for them to arbitrarily carry games is not ideal… or really satisfactory. Especially since the most important games in a home market are the road games.

Also, I loathe what they have done to college sports, but not having any games on ESPN networks (aside from the CCG), is terrible for optics. ESPN treats CUSA as if it barely exists, if at all, simply because it isnt one of their main properties or a P5 league. We need to get some inventory on their networks just to remain in their narrative of college sports. Let them do a Friday night CUSA football game 8 or 9 weeks/yr and a feature CUSA hoops game each week, at a minimum. I know they are stacked with inventory, but there has to be some wiggle room.

Also, I hope the talk about ASN paying rights fees is accurate and not just save face spin. We get too much of that already.

Since football drives the media rights bus, I must point out that CUSA is 7-3 in bowl games the last two years. The league has put teams in the top 25 both years, and had teams flirt with the access bowl bid. It is certainly no juggernaut, but my question is, short of taking over the access bowl game, what else could the league do to improve its standing? The answer is nothing - so how else would the league justify improving its exposure? That drives the whole viscious cycle of less exposure -> lower profile -> less support/worse recruits -> less value add -> decreased exposure, etc

“[font=droid serif][size=16px]The loss of TV revenue wasn’t entirely unexpected. When C-USA signed a six-year deal with Fox and the CBS Sports Network in 2011, the league boasted one of the nation’s top men’s basketball programs in Memphis. It also had Houston, Central Florida, Tulsa, Tulane and SMU, all good football programs in large markets, as well as ECU, traditionally an attendance leader among mid-major FBS schools.”[/size][/font]

LOL

[quote=“SteauA, post:9, topic:30112”]"[font=droid serif][size=16px]The loss of TV revenue wasn’t entirely unexpected. When C-USA signed a six-year deal with Fox and the CBS Sports Network in 2011, the league boasted one of the nation’s top men’s basketball programs in Memphis. It also had Houston, Central Florida, Tulsa, Tulane and SMU, all good football programs in large markets, as well as ECU, traditionally an attendance leader among mid-major FBS schools."[/size][/font]

LOL[/quote]well Tulsa was. I think they went to 5 or 6 bowls in a row and I’m pretty sure they were ranked their last season in cusa. The other 2 are bad though

S*** happens. As much as I hate it very few G5 schools tick the TV meter and they are all in the AAC except Boise St. No G5 conference including the AAC are going to get paid. Never have, never will.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2016/01/notes-re-c-usa-rights-update.html?sm_au=iVVt70FvJN5MsPsN

Someone a little more familiar with the whole TV rights subject.

So is this the bursting of the sports TV bubble?

Just for ESPN.

Seems like it’s the bursting of the bubble for us and the rest of CUSA!

Younger people are never subscribing to pay TV or cord cutting. ESPN and others are losing viewers so less advertising dollars. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the fat and happy P5 conferences in the decade to come.

Yup also add in fewer students going to games and caring which will impact future donors and tv eye balls.

Yep. I have just basic cable (For weekend sports basically) and sling tv.

clt thinks that cusa should go all streaming. clt would pay $50- $75 annually to get a HD stream of 49ers sports.