$76 Million - Energy Production

http://www.charlotte.com/217/story/140451.html

addition to the engineering program for energy production, think nuclear engineering most likely.

GREAT NEWS!

It’s about freaking time they do something along those lines! We have a partnership with freaking Duke Power! We have two Nuke Plants here, and as far as I know, I am one of the only Charlotte double E’s to go into that field. I’m in transmission and distributin now along with some classmates, but that should have been a major area of study a long time ago. The school of engineering is named after a former CEO and alumnus of Charlotte… :clap:

This is good news. I must admit that I am a bit shocked the legislature agreed to help us with this.

I will be researching who in the legislature recommended and voted for this.

Except they cut out the new teacher salaries, meaning we can have our buildings, but not the teachers to teach in them.

Areva has been recruiting heavily from the ECE department recently, they are going to have a big part in this and even teach some classes in the new building I believe. EPRI (currently located in the research park on Harris) is also going to be involved with this. The end result will be great when we will do a much better job of training the EE’s in power, which is the main source of EE jobs in this area.

That is damn cool. :clap:

[QUOTE=ChevEE;240434] The school of engineering is named after a former CEO and alumnus of Charlotte…[/QUOTE]
ChevEE, Bill Lee was a Princeton grad.

Can you better explain what energy production engineering is?

Isn’t the extent of our power program just Lukic? I haven’t heard great reviews about his classes.

[QUOTE=run49er;240458]ChevEE, Bill Lee was a Princeton grad.[/QUOTE]
Doh! You are correct.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;240833]Can you better explain what energy production engineering is?[/QUOTE]
Nuclear Engineering and Fossil Fuel. A broader picture from the source to the generator.

[QUOTE=lutz9er;242569]Isn’t the extent of our power program just Lukic? I haven’t heard great reviews about his classes.[/QUOTE]
Lukic is horrible. Mainly because until this year he was the onl;y one teaching those classes on power. The have a new professor and we are trying to get them tied into the industry. Myself and a coworker have pushed for the new guy to have more stake in the department and highlighted the flaws of Dr. Lukic to the new head of EE. This should be a great foothold for the macro engineering portion of the EE deparment.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;242571]Lukic is horrible. Mainly because until this year he was the onl;y one teaching those classes on power. The have a new professor and we are trying to get them tied into the industry. Myself and a coworker have pushed for the new guy to have more stake in the department and highlighted the flaws of Dr. Lukic to the new head of EE. This should be a great foothold for the macro engineering portion of the EE deparment.[/QUOTE]
Is the new guy Dr. Cox? He does some pretty cool things in his classes and his lab is already packed with students, he seems to be pretty good.

[QUOTE=CMack124;242909]Is the new guy Dr. Cox? He does some pretty cool things in his classes and his lab is already packed with students, he seems to be pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Yes. He is awesome! Fresh out of MIT. I think he is going to take the program good places.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;242917]Yes. He is awesome! Fresh out of MIT. I think he is going to take the program good places.[/QUOTE]
I wish I had the chance to take his class where his students design the go-cart components. He taught the same thing at MIT, I guess as a doctoral student up there. Even though they are pretty much out of space now, getting the extra lab space in Woodward was a really good thing for the ECE department, the new teachers are doing really interesting things in there.

[QUOTE=CMack124;242920]I wish I had the chance to take his class where his students design the go-cart components. He taught the same thing at MIT, I guess as a doctoral student up there. Even though they are pretty much out of space now, getting the extra lab space in Woodward was a really good thing for the ECE department, the new teachers are doing really interesting things in there.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I have heard. I am trying to return to take a class or two in the Fall & Spring. Just continuing education stuff.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;242931]That’s what I have heard. I am trying to return to take a class or two in the Fall & Spring. Just continuing education stuff.[/QUOTE]
Its bad that they are already out of room, they had to close a Mosaic lab last semester to give a teacher a lab to work in. I hear they are hiring new professors for next year, but they are already out of lab space, I wonder how it will work out.

general assembly approved a budget that would give us 19 million for what i am thinking is this program:

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/214929.html]http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/214929.html[/URL]

My question is did they keep the cuts in this budget for the UNC system’s budget? The “vacant position” cuts that will really kill us… (?)

Maybe this was to restore that… (?)