80 year old Niners fan has never missed a game

Putting the garbage that was Coley’s one point loss last night aside (seriously? A dunk over a seated Jalen Rose just gets a 48? weak), just a heads up on a piece running in today’s Charlotte Weekly. There’s a spotlight on one of the team’s diehard fans, that swears she has never missed a men’s basketball game, dating back to the time we were Charlotte College. Granted, it’s not as cool as claiming a dunk contest title, but it shows the community does care about the team.
Also small plug (because we smaller papers have to pay the bills somehow), as we’re launching University City Weekly on May 1st, dedicated to the school and surrounding area.

[URL]http://www.thecharlotteweekly.com/[/URL]

Ahhh, a breath of fresh air! Good luck with the newspaper.

Awesome.

Great article!! I’d like to meet this woman. It’s so good to hear stories like this. I’ll pick up a hard copy next stand I pass.

One thing though, it’s Charles Hayward not Haywood.

She is awesome. I was at the Conference tourney in Louisville when we lost to UAB in the first game of the night session. Myself and the other 2 guys with me stayed for the Cincy/Southern Miss game at 9:30 and she came up to us and asked if we were staying and we said “yes”. She asked if she could share a cab back to the hotel with us after the game and we said “sure”. She watched every game of that tournament and we lost in the first round.

That lady is awesome…to bad a story like that isn’t newsworthy enough to be told in the BIG O!:wink:

I wonder if she is going to get FSLs? I would be willing to chip in $20 to help her cause.

I first met Mildred at a C-USA tournament in Birmingham. It was my first and I went to something like 14 games that weekend. That is way too many games, hot dogs and beers to be healthy. Mildred was in the stands for every game.

We won the tournament and the 49er Club did a pizza party afterwards at the hotel for everyone. I saw Mildred at a table and joined her. I was going to the bar and asked if I could bring her something, thinking maybe a soda. She wanted a bourbon and water, but not too much water. I knew I needed to hang out with this lady.

A few years later Mildred was awarded the [B]Alumni by Choice[/B] award which goes to a non-alum that has contributed significantly to the University. I had the opportunity to write a recommendation in support of her and I can’t think of a better choice.

Anytime you get a mailing from the Athletic Foundation there is a decent chance that Mildred helped stuff the envelope. She goes over regularly to do things like that. She is a Niner through and through. Say hello to her when you get a chance.

[QUOTE][FONT=FairfieldLH-Medium][SIZE=2]“I just put down [/SIZE][/FONT][I][FONT=FairfieldLH-MediumItalic][SIZE=2]all [/I][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=FairfieldLH-Medium][SIZE=2]the 49er, Panthers and Bobcats games in my calendar first,” she said. “Everything else is scheduled around [/SIZE][/FONT][I][FONT=FairfieldLH-MediumItalic][SIZE=2]them[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=FairfieldLH-Medium][SIZE=2]!”[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I wish more people shared this thought process. That’s a great story and really nice to see in print!

[QUOTE=Nugget;399092]I first met Mildred at a C-USA tournament in Birmingham. It was my first and I went to something like 14 games that weekend. That is way too many games, hot dogs and beers to be healthy. Mildred was in the stands for every game.

We won the tournament and the 49er Club did a pizza party afterwards at the hotel for everyone. I saw Mildred at a table and joined her. I was going to the bar and asked if I could bring her something, thinking maybe a soda. She wanted a bourbon and water, but not too much water. I knew I needed to hang out with this lady.

A few years later Mildred was awarded the [B]Alumni by Choice[/B] award which goes to a non-alum that has contributed significantly to the University. I had the opportunity to write a recommendation in support of her and I can’t think of a better choice.

Anytime you get a mailing from the Athletic Foundation there is a decent chance that Mildred helped stuff the envelope. She goes over regularly to do things like that. She is a Niner through and through. Say hello to her when you get a chance.[/QUOTE]

This is beyond awesome.

Charles Hayward. Nice. I didn’t catch that, thanks.

The o will NEVER do a story on this lady. She’s not a tar hole fan.

The o will NEVER do a story on this lady. She's not a tar hole fan.
Stopt your whining. You're too old for crap like that. :shades:

[QUOTE=Powerbait;399087]I wonder if she is going to get FSLs? I would be willing to chip in $20 to help her cause.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Nice thought but with her current sports spending, I’m sure she’s got it covered. I’m sure Mildred will be helping a lot of Niner fans see football. Mildred could be our biggest supporter (not necessarily financial supporter) after Dale Halton.

I wonder if she is going to get FSLs? I would be willing to chip in $20 to help her cause.
1 Day Ago 07:09 PM

Mildred is probably a millionaire. Not that it matters. She’s a dedicated fan.