A-10 Hoops 2007-08 Preseason Prospectus

I am going to post these men’s basketball 2007-08 preseason prospectus as they are made available by our respective conference mates (and if by some miracle, one for the Charlotte 49ers!).

Atlantic10.org: Atlantic 10 2007-08 Men’s Basketball Prospectus

GoDuquesne.com: Duquesne Dukes

GWSports.com: George Washington Colonials

RichmondSpiders.com: Richmond Spiders

SJUHawks.com: Saint Joseph Hawks

SLUBillikens.com: Saint Louis Billikens

Those are very well done!

Not a prospectus, but still some interesting stuff in a Q&A with X coach Sean Miller.

CSTV.com: Coach’s Q&A: Sean Miller

BTW, in other A-10 coaching news, UD hires the ex-Bona coach as an assistant.

DaytonFlyers.com: UD Coach Brian Gregory Names Anthony Solomon Assistant Coach

Did you notice Shawn James, a traney from NEastern? Averaged 6.5 blocks per game. He must have some baggage though, he suffered a gunshot to the foot and just recovered. A gunshot to the foot…he’s lucky to still be able to run, much less play.

Not a prospectus, but still some interesting stuff in a Q&A with X coach Sean Miller.

CSTV.com: Coach’s Q&A: Sean Miller

BTW, in other A-10 coaching news, UD hires the ex-Bona coach as an assistant.

DaytonFlyers.com: UD Coach Brian Gregory Names Anthony Solomon Assistant Coach

Quote from Interview…

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green]SB: You coached in the [/COLOR][COLOR=green]ACC[/COLOR][COLOR=green] and the [/COLOR][COLOR=green]Big East[/COLOR][COLOR=green] as an assistant. How does coaching in the [/COLOR][COLOR=green]Atlantic 10[/COLOR][COLOR=green] compare to coaching in traditionally powerhouse conferences in larger markets?[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=green]SM: Well, the one perspective that I have is it’s not a name of a conference that you coach at. It’s really the name of the university, and that university really reflects greatly on what type of a program you’re part of. If you think about Xavier, we’ve been in the NCAA Tournament 15 of the last 21 years, six of the last seven. On game night, we play in the Cintas Center, and our building is seven years old and it seats 10,250, and we’ve averaged 10,000 fans. It’s the same thing when you look at our non-conference schedule. This year, we play [/COLOR][COLOR=green]Cincinnati[/COLOR][COLOR=green], [/COLOR][COLOR=green]Virginia[/COLOR][COLOR=green], Tennessee, Creighton and Kansas State at home. And you think additionally, the players who have played at Xavier - David West, Tyrone Hill, Brian Grant, Aaron Williams. To me, I’m at one of the best places to coach college basketball. And it’s the perception of the outside world that sometimes pigeon-holes you into being associated with a conference or a level. But in being at different places, for me, this is the best place that I’ve ever been at.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Boy, Xavier having to answer hard questions about the A10 also. This question is worded to sound nicely, and even is a little misleading. “Smaller markets” --It’s not the market size that’s the problem. The A10 isn’t in small markets anyway (Cincy, Philly, Charlotte, Dayton, St. Louis, Pittsburg and NYC). But the fan base is not even near the “powerhouse conferences.” I think the real question the intervieweer is trying to get to is about competition. But I think their Xavier’s problem is different than ours. We need rivalries and it’s difficult to convince a Charlotte high school prospect to get excited about playing against La Salle.

[QUOTE=Johnny449ers;253802]Did you notice Shawn James, a traney from NEastern? Averaged 6.5 blocks per game. He must have some baggage though, he suffered a gunshot to the foot and just recovered. A gunshot to the foot…he’s lucky to still be able to run, much less play.[/QUOTE]
Johnny, I would ask what deserted island you’ve been on with no contact with the outside world for almost a year, but I won’t do that.

James followed Everhart to Duquesne when the latter was named coach. As for the shootings at Duquesne, here’s that thread:

Link: 5 Duquesne Basketball Players Shot

BTW, most consider James to be a one-and-done in the A-10. He’s projected as a top 20 NBA draft pick in 2008.

Johnny, I would ask what deserted island you've been on for almost a year, but I won't do that.

James followed Everhart to Duquesne when the latter was named coach. As for the shootings at Duquesne, here’s that thread:

Link: OT: 5 Duquesne Basketball Players Shot

BTW, most consider James to be a one-and-done in the A-10. He’s projected as a top 20 NBA draft pick in 2008.

Thanks for not asking that location. lol --I’ve been overseas for the last 5 years and sometimes in remote locations. Anyway, I am surprised that Duqesne has in the news that much. Heck, I just had to look at your post to see how to spell their name.lol I’ve never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Here’s the league prospectus:

Atlantic10.org: Atlantic 10 2007-08 Men’s Basketball Prospectus

Sometimes I wonder about who writes these things. You’d never know that Dewhurst redshirted last year. At least they spelled Andersen’s name right this time! :lol:

SLUBillikens.com: Saint Louis Billikens

Anyone know if WH will be doing his A-10 previews again this year?

[QUOTE=run49er;254848]Here’s the league prospectus:

Atlantic10.org: Atlantic 10 2007-08 Men’s Basketball Prospectus[/QUOTE]

Interesting read.

I knew this fact, but it still hurts to read it.

% of returning scoring (returning starters in parens)

Fordham - 97% (5)
Rhode Island - 95% (4)
St Joes - 86% (4)
LeSalle - 85% (4)
Duquesne - 84% (4)
Richmond - 75% (3)
St.Louis - 73% (4)
Dayton - 68% (4)
Temple - 63% (3)
GW - 60% (2)
St. Bona - 58% (2)
Xavier - 57% (3)
UMass - 43% (2)
Charlotte - 31% (2- Goldwire and Andersen)

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;254917]Anyone know if WH will be doing his A-10 previews again this year?[/QUOTE]
Yes, he will.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;254920]Interesting read.

I knew this fact, but it still hurts to read it.

% of returning scoring (returning starters in parens)

Charlotte - 31% (2- Goldwire and Andersen)[/QUOTE]
And the reality is that Andersen ended up coming off the bench the 2nd half of the season, so I look at it as having 1.5 returning starters.

RichmondSpiders.com: Richmond Spiders

Just added GW to the list…