A-10 Notebook + POTWs for Jan. 27

It’s a Philly-sweep for players of week honors in the A-10…

PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Pat Calathes - Saint Joseph’s
Senior, Forward, 6-10, 210 lbs.
Casselberry, Fla./Lake Howell HS

Calathes averaged 20 points and 9.5 rebounds in leading Saint Joseph’s to a pair of victories…scored 24 points, including the game-winning three-pointer with 3.9 seconds remaining in the Hawks’ 68-67 win at Temple on Jan. 26…was 8-of-14 from the field and added nine rebounds versus TU…scored 16 points, grabbed ten rebounds, dished out five assists and added three steals on Jan. 23 as Saint Joseph’s edged Massachusetts, 81-77…named the A-10 Player of the Week for the second time this season.

Dionte Christmas - Temple
Junior, Guard, 6-5, 190 lbs.
Philadelphia, Pa./Philadelphia Lutheran Christian Academy

Christmas averaged 21.7 points and knocked down five three-pointers in each of Temple’s three contests on the week…scored a game-high 20 points on Jan. 20 in the Owls’ 54-53 (OT) victory at Saint Louis…scored 24 points and added four rebounds and four assists as Temple downed Pennsylvania on Jan. 23, 80-64…scored a team-high 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds in the Owls’ 68-67 loss to Saint Joseph’s on Jan. 26…earns his sixth career A-10 Player of the Week award and second of the season.

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Jerrell Williams - La Salle
Freshman, Forward, 6-8, 210 lbs.
Patterson, N.J./Northfield Mount Hermon (Mass.) HS

Williams earns his third A-10 Rookie of the Week award after registering a pair of double-double efforts on the week…scored 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting and grabbed 11 rebounds in La Salle’s 84-78 loss to Charlotte on Jan. 23…scored 14 points and pulled down 11 boards on Jan. 26 in the Explorers’ 81-74 setback to Saint Louis…made 6-of-11 field goal attempts versus the Billikens…leads all A-10 freshmen with six double-doubles.

WEEKLY HONOR ROLL: Charlotte junior Lamont Mack averaged 17.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in a pair of victories for the 49ers.

Atlantic10.com: A-10 Notebook - Jan. 27

More pub for the A-10…

ESPN.com: Musketeers taking control of the A-10

Sportingnews.com: A-10 making major noise this hoops season

And this blurb from DeCourcy…

[b]Send a search party for ...[/b]

The next shooting guard who winds up in proximity to Xavier’s Stanley Burrell. He makes them all disappear. We talked earlier this season about Burrell’s oppressive defense against Indiana freshman Eric Gordon, and Burrell did it again this week.

Burrell held UMass’ leading scorer, Ricky Harris, to 2-of-8 shooting and seven points just three days after holding Dayton All-America candidate Brian Roberts to 2-of-5 shooting and five points.

It’s not often a player only 6-2 becomes noted as a lockdown defender.

Sportingnew.com: Mike DeCourcy - Weekly Wrap

It’s going to be interesting when Lee and Burrell match up to say the least.

[B]“and it’s not out of the question the Atlantic 10 could wind up with more bids than the Atlantic Coast Conference.”

[/B]yes the acc’s top 2 teams (duke and unc) are better then any team in the a10, but overall i truely believe that the a10 can put more teams in the tourny than the acc.

ps. nc state basketball suuuuuuuckkkssss

We may need to run Lee and Ian at the same time, playing the 2 & 3. If we have Lee, Ian and Mack hitting shots, Burrell can only stop one of them.

i dont know if duke is better than xavier. that would be a good game.

[QUOTE=77grad;289131]We may need to run Lee and Ian at the same time, playing the 2 & 3. If we have Lee, Ian and Mack hitting shots, Burrell can only stop one of them.[/QUOTE]

I agree, we can’t limit ourselves to one “shooter” on the court against certain teams like Xavier

I don’t know about you…but I want to beat (well everyone) but expecially Xavier. They have been the best in the league as of late and we got hammered by them a year ago. Yes we have to take it one game at a time, and Richmond will be tough, but I really want to beat X this year.

Back to the discussion…just had that thought after reading those two articles…

More pub for the A-10...

ESPN.com: Musketeers taking control of the A-10

Sportingnews.com: A-10 making major noise this hoops season

And this blurb from DeCourcy…

Is it just me or does Burrell sound like one cocky SOB in that ESPN.com article? I’m going to enjoy beating them!

:shades:

[QUOTE=ninerfan55;289132]i dont know if duke is better than xavier. that would be a good game.[/QUOTE]

I watched Duke play UMD last night. I think Charlotte would be able to hang with Duke this year.

[QUOTE=77grad;289131]We may need to run Lee and Ian at the same time, playing the 2 & 3. If we have Lee, Ian and Mack hitting shots, Burrell can only stop one of them.[/QUOTE]

We at least need Mack to be on. If he is scoring, it can open up Lee. Also, we need Gerrity driving and Anjuan to score some to take the pressure off. It’s going to take a TEAM effort to get that win. Thankfully it’s in Halton and should be rocking that night!!!

From the ESPN “Weekly Watch”…

[b]Top Teams Outside The Polls To Watch[/b]
  1. Connecticut
  2. Louisville
  3. Gonzaga
  4. West Virginia
    [b]5. Saint Joe’s
  5. Charlotte[/b]
  6. VCU
  7. South Alabama
  8. Davidson
  9. Oral Roberts

[b]Honor Roll

• Xavier[/b]: There’s no doubt the league goes through Cincinnati. The X-Men beat up on Dayton and UMass last week.

• Saint Louis: Good for Rick Majerus. He handled himself well during a controversial week and did what he does best: coach. The Billikens won at La Salle and scored 81 points in doing so, that’s four times more than they scored in that loss at GW.

[b]Upset Watch

Wednesday: Saint Louis over Dayton, 7 p.m. ET[/b]
After slipping past Saint Louis on the road in overtime, Brian Roberts will have to work his offensive magic again after dropping 30 in game one. Playing without Chris Wright and Charles Little will put a strain on the Flyers offense. Wright had surgery to repair a fractured bone in his right ankle and Little has a broken bone in his foot that does not require surgery but both forwards will be out of the line up for at least a month. Expect gamer Marcus Johnson to step up and help Roberts in the scoring department. Johnson is a tough athletic competitor and the Flyers best wing finisher. Saint Louis is a great defensive team but will have to do something different or better to control Roberts. If Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell can score against the tough Dayton defense, the best home-court advantage in the A-10 might not be enough to pull the limping Flyers across the finish line.

[b]This Week

• Dayton at Rhode Island, Saturday[/b]: This could be a classic A-10-type bubble game if there isn’t room for both in the Dance.

[b]Individual Honors

The Calathes brothers[/b]: Nick Calathes scored 15 points, grabbed 10 boards and dished out seven assists in Florida’s win over Vanderbilt Sunday while his older brother Pat [of Saint Joseph’s] hit the game-winning 3-pointer with 3.9 seconds left to beat Temple on the road Saturday.

Link: ESPN.com - Weekly Watch 12

[B] [QUOTE][B]Dayton at Rhode Island, Saturday[/B]: This could be a classic A-10-type bubble game if there isn’t room for both in the Dance.[/QUOTE][/B]

So two top 25 teams in the RPI are on the bubble? :blink: I’d like him to tell me who isn’t on the bubble.

It's going to be interesting when Lee and Burrell match up to say the least.
Lee will need help getting open in that game, hope we set some vicious screens, maybe even pick up a foul or two setting them just to make sure Burrell knows they are coming. Burrell is 6-3, tall enough and a good enough defender to really give Lee trouble (like he had vs Md). Mack needs to be on, we need our point guard to hit some outside shots, and we gotta get some rebounds (more so than Fordham). Even then, it will be tough if they are hitting on all cylinders, they're a really good team. They really should have won that game against Tenn, wish they would have because they'd probably be ranked top 10 when we play. On the other hand, I bet Halton will be electric and our guys really pumped.

[QUOTE][B]BOMBS AWAY:[/B] Since the start of the 2006-07 season, Rhode Island junior guard [B]Jimmy Baron[/B] has drained 163 three-pointers in a span of 51 games, which is tied for seventh nationally among active players. Just ahead of Baron is Charlotte senior guard [B]Leemire Goldwire[/B] with 165 three-pointers made in 48 games played[/QUOTE]

He is… King.