A-10 releases 2008-09 conference matchups

Something of a miracle to see an official release this early…

Atlantic10.com: 2008-09 ATLANTIC 10 MEN’S BASKETBALL HOME & AWAY GAMES

Dang, no dates.

Can’t plan the Xavier trip yet.

The new commish must be whippin’ everything into shape up there in Philly! Oooh yeah!

I want to restate how excited i am about the a10’s choices for us as home aways this yaer. GW is IMO the closest thing we’ve had to a rivalry since we’ve been in this conference - no matter how good or bad they are each year, I look forward to that game - I also feel like a lot of students do as well. A10 has been pushing richmond on us for years - college bball games list them as our rival - we’re always paired with them etc. - but I have to admit I’m getting used to the idea, and I feel like after both losses to them last year we owe them a couple. Then X of course is one to be happy about since they are a contender year in and year out.

I’m hoping we’re starting to get a little respect in this league - I know we’ve had some trouble getting started but I’m happy to see we appear to be coming out of it

FOXSports.com writer/blogger Jeff Goodman provides some tidbits on the upcoming season…

Jul 03, 2008

Here’s an offseason rundown of the A-10:

Charlotte – Bobby Lutz will take his team to Toronto for Labor Day and will also play in the tournament in Anaheim from Nov. 27-30. The 49ers brought in Shamari Spears from Boston College and will also go on the road for non-conference games against Maryland (1/3), Davidson and Southern Illinois (12/6) and play Clemson at home on Nov. 22.

Dayton – Flyers assistant Anthony Solomon returned to Notre Dame and was replaced by Cornell Mann (Western Michigan). Dayton will play in the Chicago Invitational and will face Auburn (11/28) and Marquette (11/29). The Flyers will also play at Creighton (12/10) and at home against Marshall (12/23) and George Mason. Head coach Brian Gregory also lost Thiago Cordeiro (Arkansas State).

Duquesne – Greg Gary got the head job at Centenary and Kim Lewis went with him. The two Dukes assistants were replaced by Scott Rigot, formerly of Kentucky, and Steve Hall, a high school head coach out of Detroit. Duquesne lost Stephen Wood, but gained Kentucky big man Mike Williams via transfer. Ron Everhart’s team will play West Virginia (12/13) and go on the road against Pittsburgh (12/6) and Duke (11/28).

Fordham – No staff changes, no trips, no transfers and a non-conference game against Villanova. The word out of Fordham is that freshman point guard Jio Fontan, a 6-foot-1 floor leader from St. Anthony’s, has been terrific in open gym so far this summer and will be handed the ball from Day One.

George Washington – Karl Hobbs kicked Cheyenne Moore and Miles Beatty off the team at the end of the season. The Colonials will also participate in the Rainbow Classic out in Hawaii.

La Salle – John Giannini’s team will open with UConn in the Paradise Jam in the Virgin Islands on Nov. 21. The Explorers will play Florida State at home on Nov. 18 and also play Villanova at home on Dec. 14.

Rhode Island – Pat Skerry left to join Keno Davis down the road at Providence. The Rams will play in the Philly Hoop Group Classic in November and will also face Duke (11/16) and Providence (12/6) on the road. Hakim McCullar is transferring out of the program.

Richmond – The Spiders will play in the CBE Classic and will also travel to Spain in August for 12 days. They will also play Wake Forest at home on Dec. 19 and travel to Virginia Tech on Jan. 14. Chris Richard left to become a walk-on at Oregon State.

St. Bonaventure – The Bonnies are playing in a five-team round robin tournament hosted by Rutgers. It also includes Rutgers, Delaware, Robert Morris and Marist. St. Bonaventure will open with Robert Morris at home on Nov. 14. The Bonnies also lost Hilary Hailey (Maryland-Eastern Shore) and Matt Morgan (Winthrop).

Saint Joseph’s – Assistant Doug Overton left to coach in the NBA. The Hawks will play in the Maui Invitational and also have road games against Villanova and Creighton. Forward Todd O’Brien transferred in from Bucknell while D.J. Rivera left for Binghamton.

Saint Louis – Assistant coach Paul Biancardi left to take a full-time gig with ESPN and has not been replaced yet. Rick Majerus & Co. will play Boston College at home in a return home-and-home series. The Billikens also lost four players via transfer – Adam Knollmeyer (Missouri Science and Technology), Dustin Maguire (Northern Kentucky), Marcus Relphorde (Indian Hills) and Anthony Mitchell.

Temple – The Owls will play in the Palmetto Classic in Charleston, S.C., a new tournament that will include the College of Charleston, Clemson and five other teams. Temple will also play against Tennessee (12/13) and at Kansas (12/20).

UMass – New coach Derek Kellogg hired a staff that includes Vance Walberg, Adam Ginsburg, Antwon Jackson (William & Mary) and Andy Allison as the director of basketball operations. The Minutemen will play in the Coaches vs. Cancer in Michigan and also have home games against Boston College and Vanderbilt and road games against Kansas and Houston. UMass will bring in Doug Wiggins (UConn) and lose Max Groebe.

Xavier – Director of Operations Bill Comar left for a spot on the road at Loyola-Chicago and has not been replaced yet. The Musketeers will play in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off from Nov. 20-23 along with Memphis, USC and Virginia Tech. They will also play non-conference games against Duke, Butler, Auburn, LSU and Virginia.

Link: FOXSports.com - College Hoop Blog: Good 'N Plenty

not the thread to do this in… BUT it triggered a thought and if this gets more discussion we can move it to the propper thread… but do you think that the preseason trip to Canada is one of bobbys ways of getting us used to/more confident on the road? It was obvious last year that the road games were where we fell short - I could definately see this as a really smart coaching move