a village finally?

http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/164117.html

in 5 years, could we grab a beer and walk to a football game? is this school finally pulling its head out of its ass?

its like turning around the Titanic.

[QUOTE=metro;243765]http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/164117.html

in 5 years, could we grab a beer and walk to a football game? is this school finally pulling its head out of its ass?

its like turning around the Titanic.[/QUOTE]

I have a question. If the schools rents the land is alcohol allowed to be sold? Or would they have to “sell” that land to a developer to allow bars? I like this idea, but I hope they create a catwalk or something over 29 so that getting to university place is doable. This would create quite the entertainment area.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;243766]I have a question. If the schools rents the land is alcohol allowed to be sold? Or would they have to “sell” that land to a developer to allow bars? I like this idea, but I hope they create a catwalk or something over 29 so that getting to university place is doable. This would create quite the entertainment area.[/QUOTE]
Some of the old master plans involved connecting over to the shops on 29. If I remember correctly, it involved the vehicle traffic of 29 to dip down under walkway crossings. I would have to look it up to know for sure.

I have a question. If the schools rents the land is alcohol allowed to be sold? Or would they have to "sell" that land to a developer to allow bars? I like this idea, but I hope they create a catwalk or something over 29 so that getting to university place is doable. This would create quite the entertainment area.

I don’t think any developer would rent the land from the U. The University would also not act as a developer. They would almost definitely transfer the land into private hands.

Is there actually a law that says that alcohol can’t be sold on campus? Lots of campuses around the country have bars in their student unions.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;243766]I have a question. If the schools rents the land is alcohol allowed to be sold? Or would they have to “sell” that land to a developer to allow bars? I like this idea, but I hope they create a catwalk or something over 29 so that getting to university place is doable. This would create quite the entertainment area.[/QUOTE]

well if there are no bars- it will fail.

[QUOTE=metro;243765]http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/164117.html

its like turning around the Titanic.[/QUOTE]

Lets see.

serious talk about football
postseason baseball wins
"village" concept

what’s next? postseason basketball wins ???

my old heart may not be able to handle this.

Lets see.

serious talk about football
postseason baseball wins
“village” concept

what’s next? postseason basketball wins ???

my old heart may not be able to handle this.

QFT!!!

wow, I just noticed where W Clay Blvd connects. Its between the new research buildings and hospital. So this village road would be the one right by the track and baseball field. I like it.

Here is what I am finding in the old Master plans

Notice the circle out by the new research center. on 29.

The attachment below is the only picture I could find that is from the 1995 plan that incorporated this sort of retail along 29.

This has been brought up several times before. It is an effort to create an identifiable town center in University City (an effort in placemaking). The problem is that there are 2 large major thoroughfares running through it, which makes buiding a walkable area extremely difficult. And, pedestrian bridges are expensive, and very difficult to make ADA compliant.

It will be interesting to see how they solve the walkability issues and how they might realign the 29/harris intersection to accomplish the goals.

This has been brought up several times before. It is an effort to create an identifiable town center in University City (an effort in placemaking). The problem is that there are 2 large major thoroughfares running through it, which makes buiding a walkable area extremely difficult. [B]And, pedestrian bridges are expensive, and very difficult to make ADA compliant.[/B]

It will be interesting to see how they solve the walkability issues and how they might realign the 29/harris intersection to accomplish the goals.

DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE HOBO INFESTATION PROBLEM!!! :lol:

Who on here was it that was terrified of the hobos if we built a bridge? (it was in another thread)

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;243783]DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE HOBO INFESTATION PROBLEM!!! :lol:

Who on here was it that was terrified of the hobos if we built a bridge? (it was in another thread)[/QUOTE]
Yes! That was the first thing I remembered this morning when Savio first posted the link to the article. It was [URL=http://ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15295][B][U][COLOR=DarkGreen]this[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL] thread.

Yes! That was the first thing I remembered this morning when Savio first posted the link to the article. It was [URL=http://ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15295][B][U][COLOR=darkgreen]this[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL] thread.

LMAO… That’s right.

He’s right I’m sure, but it’s just funny… almost like he has a hobo phobia:

CharSFNiners:

[QUOTE]That’d be great but bridges and tunnels (over or under roadways) never make it b/c they’re seen as breeding grounds for hobos. I know it sounds completely ridiculous, but thats always the argument made when a pedestrian bridge across roadways is proposed (minus interstates). Unless of course it is all landscaped and amazing looking, but your chances of someone building one like that are well… you’d have a better chance of hobos living under your bridge.

But I agree with you totally on getting access to places like that. I have sidewalks from my place to everywhere but to get anywhere I have to cross 49 or 29… no thanks.[/QUOTE]

:lmao: :lmao:

Have no fear, Big Phil is on it:

[QUOTE]It also could enhance the way students spend their time while at the university. The school has wanted to have a place within walking distance where students, faculty and staff could go to shop or eat, said [B]associated vice chancellor Phil Jones[/B].

Now, he said, “you have to drive in your car to get places.”[/QUOTE]

Making himself known early on. This guy is everywhere!

They could use streetscape improvements and traffic calming along 29 in the University area instead of a pedestrian bridge. Pedestrian Bridges are not so great IMO.

[QUOTE=metro;243778]wow, I just noticed where W Clay Blvd connects. Its between the new research buildings and hospital. So this village road would be the one right by the track and baseball field. I like it.[/QUOTE]
There is already a trail that runs through there, I would imagine they’d use that before destroying all that forestland. It runs down past the hospital, by the lake, and through the woods and comes out right behind the baseball field. It is already pretty wide and wouldn’t have to be expanded much when paved to accommodate cars. The lazy ass students here would probably still drive though.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;243797]There is already a trail that runs through there, I would imagine they’d use that before destroying all that forestland. It runs down past the hospital, by the lake, and through the woods and comes out right behind the baseball field. It is already pretty wide and wouldn’t have to be expanded much when paved to accommodate cars. The lazy ass students here would probably still drive though.[/QUOTE]

I know the trail well. I’ve ran it at least 1000x.

I disagree with you though. The point is connectivity. They want a street that goes from U Place/John Clay into campus, as the article said a “downtown” feel. If that is indeed the route, a road must be cut right thru those woods.

Personally, I think it would be awesome, absolutely awesome. If they did in fact build this, and incorporate many bars and restaurants, I think in the course of a few years we could shed the commuter school image. Couple that with the introduction of football and we go from a bad image to one of the baddest ass places to be in the state.

Projects like this will MAKE the University. We already have competant professors and are doing great research, but we have to attract top tiered undergraduate students as well.

So were basically talking about making a road through campus, where the road is now by the baseball field and running it straight through that wooded area to connect to the hwy 29?

It almost seems like this a proactive step to creating a football powerhouse style school :thumbsup:

So, if we get a village, who gets the job of village idiot?