AC Milan vs Liverpool at BofA Stadium on Aug 2

Is anyone watching the Liverpool Manchester United game from Miami? The attendance is pathetic. I can’t believe they are going to out an MLS team there. Such a bad move.

It looked like the entire upper deck was empty.

Announced attendance was around 51k.

That’s a pathetic turnout for two huge teams. Can’t believe MLS is giving Miami another shot.

Yes. This Miami deal really worries me. I love MLS and I want them to succeed. But Miami is not the way to go. There is no grass roots love of soccer there. They would be much smarter to force Beckham to build in another market. He’ll let him buy chivas, move it downtown and rebrand. St. Louis, Minneapolis, Raleigh would all be better markets for MLS than Miami. This might be their first big misstep in the last 10 years.

[quote=“Gassman, post:24, topic:28578”]Yes. This Miami deal really worries me. I love MLS and I want them to succeed. But Miami is not the way to go. There is no grass roots love of soccer there. They would be much smarter to force Beckham to build in another market. He’ll let him buy chivas, move it downtown and rebrand. St. Louis, Minneapolis, Raleigh would all be better markets for MLS than Miami. This might be their first big misstep in the last 10 years.[/quote]I’m also unsure about the 2nd NY team, but it seems to be building some excitement so far. Just wonder if that will come at the expense of the red bulls. But I am sure that, as you say, Miami does not support teams well, particularly when the teams struggle as a new team could for quite a while. Contracting a miami team again will not help the league’s image much at all.

Would think a team in St. Louis would make all kinds of sense, partly because markets that lack one of the bigger sports seem to be supporting teams more enthusiastically (Seattle, Portland, the Canadian teams) and St. Louis has a history of soccer enthusiasm.

For those that don’t know the Charlotte Eagles will be dropping down a level next year and will be replaced in USL Pro by Queen City SC (working title for now) owned by the Charlotte Hounds owners. Their vision is to be MLS by 2020. Games will be at Memorial Stadium.

That’s great news and I am looking forward to it.

Is memorial wide enough? Seems kind of narrow for soccer.

Maybe they will put the coaches and subs in the stands.

[quote=“Gassman, post:27, topic:28578”]That’s great news and I am looking forward to it.

Is memorial wide enough? Seems kind of narrow for soccer.

Maybe they will put the coaches and subs in the stands.[/quote]They’re going to have to widen the field I believe, which means removing some of the lower levels of seating.

If they do this, I hope they raise the field (doubtful) so that the seats aren’t way above the field.

They’re doing some renovation work at Memorial right now to bring it up to code (new bathrooms and concession facilities on the north side of the stadium). Still a lot needs to be done, but I think it could be a good MLS facility if they’re willing to do quality renovations.

I’m guessing it will be an artificial surface? Also, I know very little about MLL, but aren’t the MLS and MLL seasons at the same time? Soccer with lacrosse lines would be sort of annoying.

PS: This “SC” “FC” thing is going to get really confusing before long. I wish we could just decide on one as a country and move forward (FC Dallas, Seattle Sounders FC, Toronto FC, Orlando City SC, Queen City SC, Chicago Fire SC etc…).

[quote=“SteauA, post:29, topic:28578”]I’m guessing it will be an artificial surface? Also, I know very little about MLL, but aren’t the MLS and MLL seasons at the same time? Soccer with lacrosse lines would be sort of annoying.

PS: This “SC” “FC” thing is going to get really confusing before long. I wish we could just decide on one as a country and move forward (FC Dallas, Seattle Sounders FC, Toronto FC, Orlando City SC, Queen City SC, Chicago Fire SC etc…).[/quote]They’re putting artificial turf in at Memorial.

clt looks forward.

On a side note I just read where FIFA says MLS will be moving to the European/FIFA calender. I hope that is false. What a terrible idea for MLS. They won’t survive playing at the same time as NFL, NCAA football, EPL, NBA, NHL, NCAA bball.

MLS will never move to the euro calendar. That is wishful thinking from Fifa. It just doesn’t work. It’s too cold in North America for that.

LOL, nearly the entire (if not complete) contiguous United States is located below the southern most point of England. If it’s not going to happen in the US, it’s not going to be for THAT reason.

LOL, nearly the entire (if not complete) contiguous United States is located below the southern most point of England. If it’s not going to happen in the US, it’s not going to be for THAT reason.[/quote]

It shouldn’t happen because of all the other sport related things happening at that same time. Just a bad idea to try and muscle into such a cluttered time.

LOL, nearly the entire (if not complete) contiguous United States is located below the southern most point of England. If it’s not going to happen in the US, it’s not going to be for THAT reason.[/quote]

Actually despite how much further north Europe is they actually have milder winters than North America. At least till you get over into far Eastern Europe and Russia. I think it’s due to some big atlantic current that sends warm air their way.

Actually despite how much further north Europe is they actually have milder winters than North America. At least till you get over into far Eastern Europe and Russia. I think it’s due to some big atlantic current that sends warm air their way.[/quote]

Beat me to it. Dat Jet Stream doe.

As much as I would like to see MLS move to the European schedule I don’t see it happening. Why would you purposefully move your product into such a busy time of year sports-wise? It makes no sense for them from a business stand point.

Not to mention that Seattle and New England still share stadiums with NFL teams.

Blatter, as always, is talking out of his ass.

Yea, February games in Toronto, Chicago, Vancouver…