Academic Direction of the University

Not useful for society? Are you serious? You're not very bright, are you?
I expected such responses from Art majors when I made the post, yes.

Science/Math is far more useful than the Arts in my opinion for the reasons I listed. Feel free to debate that intelligently… or should I say articulately.

I don’t feel Art is useful to society in any way whatsoever outside of a hobby’ I’ve felt that way for a long time. I’m giving you the chance to change my mind here.

[QUOTE=eason49;400088]It wasn’t meant to say non-science/engineering/math degrees are worthless. I just don’t feel how they’re as useful to society, and was genuinely curious why the people that chose them did so… whether it be passion, fitting their personality, etc.

People don’t tend to major in English for the money.[/QUOTE]

Majors don’t really define what you can do for a living unless you are trying to become an accountant, lawyer, doctor, or some other profession that requires certain education requirements for legal reasons. Business degrees can be lumped right in there in the worthless category if you are going to put liberal arts degrees there as well. Business is all about communication, both written and oral, analytical skills, as well as other skills that anyone may possess regardless of major. Companies know that students don’t really learn real world skills in college which is why they almost always require training. Business and liberal arts majors may not, in most cases, be the ones inventing new products and developing new treatments for disease, but they still fill a vital role in society. Where would our scientists be without someone to teach them English? Probably not scientists.

[QUOTE=action49er;400080]Long winded history professor… was this by chance Dan Morrill? He was my favorite professor I had in college.

I also feel that the university is moving more towards a technical focus and away from liberal arts. That’s not to say that our liberal arts programs aren’t any good, but our engineering, architechture, etc. are very strong and getting stronger.[/QUOTE]

I have a history degree as well and I wish Charlotte was better known for it’s history and would put more funding into it. Dr. Smail is a wonderful guy.

My favorite professors were Dr. Lansen, Sabol, and Davila

This is a very interesting topic for me. I am also a history major, and am actually entering a history PhD program in the fall. While I would love for my Alma mater to have more doctoral programs (especially in the humanities), I think that certain realities dictate that this is not the right time for our university to add a history PhD program.

Besides the fact that we are going through budget cuts and focusing more on the sciences, the abysmal nature of the job market for history PhDs makes it difficult to justify adding a doctoral program in history at Charlotte. More specifically, there is a massive oversupply of history PhDs, meaning that there are more people graduating with PhDs than available jobs in academia. This is true in general with the humanities, not just history. Thus, while adding a new doctoral program in the humanties may look good for our university, it exacerabates the problem of an already aybsmal academic job market. Not to mention, graduates from an unestablished program will have an incredibly difficult time finding jobs, and a poor placement rate would in many ways reflect worse on our univesrity than not having a doctoral program.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need to focus on adding doctoral programs that will not aggravate the academic job market, and will be able to consistently place graduates. This means we probably should focus more on the social sciences, natural sciences, or computing and enginneering. If things are different in 10-15 years or so, maybe we can reevaluate adding more doctoral programs in the humanities.

Thanks for your reply. This second paragraph is another point my professor made. (It was not Morrill, and I actually suspect my professor reads this message board, so I don’t want to name him.)

This is something I completely understand. It really would look worse to have a lower job placement rate than no program at all. I guess the only argument I have for that is kind of the same argument we made for football…there is never a ‘good’ time to start a program. Its always expensive, and although it may not be up to par the first few years, the longer we wait, the further behind we get.

Interesting points you made, though. Great post.

Majors don't really define what you can do for a living unless you are trying to become an accountant, lawyer, doctor, or some other profession that requires certain education requirements for legal reasons. Business degrees can be lumped right in there in the worthless category if you are going to put liberal arts degrees there as well. Business is all about communication, both written and oral, analytical skills, as well as other skills that anyone may possess regardless of major. Companies know that students don't really learn real world skills in college which is why they almost always require training. Business and liberal arts majors may not, in most cases, be the ones inventing new products and developing new treatments for disease, but they still fill a vital role in society. Where would our scientists be without someone to teach them English? Probably not scientists.
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to a student of, for example, English to major in business if that was his goal, and not try to go about it in a roundabout manner?

I certainly don’t know you and can not speak for you or for your intentions outside of that post, but if those are your intentions as well… why didn’t you choose business school over history?

As a scientist, you have the capabilities to make society a better place with breakthroughs and advancements. I guess I don't see the huge benefit to society provided by individuals with English degrees. "Scientists tend to have greater potential to society" would perhaps be a better way to put it.

I’m not saying the other degrees shouldn’t exist, but they strike me more as people spending four years (or more) of their life in something that isn’t going to make them a lot of money and is not going to give them the potential to do anything historic.

Your “arts” degree is more of a stepping-stone to a more useful career.

Sorry there man (as a history/education and American Studies minor) I feel you’re a little bias or misguided perhaps.
-Jficket’s right, you should major in what you’re interested in, and if you’re passionate about it, you’ll find work in that field.

-Also there is “groundbreaking” work to be done in the field of history, anthropology, sociology, etc… My goal is to eventually write a book at some point in my life (I have my idea already, just need to get the research)
-It’s not just math/applied sciences, etc. that partcipate in groundbreaking discoveries.

[QUOTE=eason49;400113]I expected such responses from Art majors when I made the post, yes.

Science/Math is far more useful than the Arts in my opinion for the reasons I listed. Feel free to debate that intelligently… or should I say articulately.

I don’t feel Art is useful to society in any way whatsoever outside of a hobby’ I’ve felt that way for a long time. I’m giving you the chance to change my mind here.[/QUOTE]

Let’s start with campus.

subtract
subtract

subtract
, , and

Not much left to identify the school, eh?

Have you considered that an artist designed the money that you use every day? In fact, the nickel was designed by an art professor here at UNC Charlotte? But since art is not useful to society, I guess we have nothing to be proud of for that accomplishment…

Let's start with campus.

subtract
subtract

subtract
, , and

Not much left to identify the school, eh?

Have you considered that an artist designed the money that you use every day? In fact, the nickel was designed by an art professor here at UNC Charlotte? But since art is not useful to society, I guess we have nothing to be proud of for that accomplishment…

What do you consider more useful: the financial system created or the pictures on the money that someone drew?

Sorry there man (as a history/education and American Studies minor) I feel you're a little bias or misguided perhaps. -Jficket's right, you should major in what you're interested in, and if you're passionate about it, you'll find work in that field.

-Also there is “groundbreaking” work to be done in the field of history, anthropology, sociology, etc… My goal is to eventually write a book at some point in my life (I have my idea already, just need to get the research)
-It’s not just math/applied sciences, etc. that partcipate in groundbreaking discoveries.

You have a good argument. You make a valid point in that there are important breakthroughs in anthropology, sociology, etc. Although part of me wants to argue that historic discoveries might be interesting, they aren’t necessarily always “useful.”

Moreover, I suppose I view those more as “sciences” even if they are technically “liberal arts and sciences” I’m speaking more of the “religious studies”, “film studies”, “illustration”, “graphic design”, etc. degrees.

I suppose you’re right that you should major in what you enjoy first and foremost.

[QUOTE=eason49;400124]What do you consider more useful: the financial system created or the pictures on the money that someone drew?[/QUOTE]

there is no financial system without the “pictures on the money that someone drew”

If there was nothing to differentiate different currencies and values, we would all be walking around with cut up pieces of paper claiming that they are money.

Graphic Design in particular is a staple of society. Without design, we are in the dark ages.

there is no financial system without the "pictures on the money that someone drew"

If there was nothing to differentiate different currencies and values, we would all be walking around with cut up pieces of paper claiming that they are money.

Graphic Design in particular is a staple of society. Without design, we are in the dark ages.

The quality of the pictures on the money doesn’t signify the value. Before we used paper currency, what do you think we used? You don’t need an art degree to arrange the images on the currency.

To elaborate, the engineering and science that went into making it very difficult for individuals to imitate our money is far more valuable than the drawings themselves, as well.

Would that be more useful if it had art drawn on it?

i’d say charlotte isn’t headed in a “technical” direction. its headed in a technological direction. a technical education teaches specific skills directed towards a specific type of work, like a mechanic, plumber, computer network administrator. you go to a community college or nc state for that.

a technological education is broader and more academic, and its not limited to engineering or nursing. georgia tech for instance shapes its liberal arts programs to teach problem solving strategies and work skills that will be useful to students in the workplace. you’re mixing practicality with theory.

as a liberal arts grad, i think it is the only way charlotte is going to seperate itself from the rest of the unc system. when we were just another liberal arts school, no one was paying us much attention. with this technology focus, we got the citi campus, a lot more federal dollars, and an academic edge that is in greater demand everyday.

[QUOTE=eason49;400124]What do you consider more useful: the financial system created or the pictures on the money that someone drew?

You have a good argument. You make a valid point in that there are important breakthroughs in anthropology, sociology, etc. Although part of me wants to argue that historic discoveries might be interesting, they aren’t necessarily always “useful.”

Moreover, I suppose I view those more as “sciences” even if they are technically “liberal arts and sciences” I’m speaking more of the “religious studies”, “film studies”, “illustration”, “graphic design”, etc. degrees.

I suppose you’re right that you should major in what you enjoy first and foremost.[/QUOTE]

I am not arguing either way per say, but do you feel marketing/advertising is useless? Just wondering as that is what I do with my marketing degree and work with a design firm daily. It is amazing the things they do for racing, engineering, architecture, sales, accounting, I could name off another 15 types of firms they work with. I just don’t understand how these degrees don’t make sense. I have many, many friends that are teachers, in business and hell engineers. It is funny listening to the engineers talk to the teachers and vice versa. I find myself in the middle, but see both sides.

I do not see myself as being able to graduate in many liberal arts criterias, but do recognize an importance.

When I told all of the U of Charlotte people to call us Charlotte Tech or NC Tech a couple of years ago, I got my head bit off. I do like CTU with Jack Bauer as the back-up mascot.

If the scientists didn’t have someone to teach them English they’d… Do their experiments in Spanish! LOL.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;400133]When I told all of the U of Charlotte people to call us Charlotte Tech or NC Tech a couple of years ago, I got my head bit off. I do like CTU with Jack Bauer as the back-up mascot.

If the scientists didn’t have someone to teach them English they’d… Do their experiments in Spanish! LOL.[/QUOTE]

If we’re going to go that route, however, I think we need to be Carolina Tech. Charlotte Tech doesn’t sound nearly as prestigious… plus that way we can say go to hell mothership, we’re a mothership too!

I am not arguing either way per say, but do you feel marketing/advertising is useless? Just wondering as that is what I do with my marketing degree and work with a design firm daily. It is amazing the things they do for racing, engineering, architecture, sales, accounting, I could name off another 15 types of firms they work with. I just don't understand how these degrees don't make sense. I have many, many friends that are teachers, in business and hell engineers. It is funny listening to the engineers talk to the teachers and vice versa. I find myself in the middle, but see both sides.

I do not see myself as being able to graduate in many liberal arts criterias, but do recognize an importance.

Business is very useful. I guess my three branches of usefulness are: engineering, science, and business. Business is vital because it is the motor behind engineering and science. A lot of liberal arts are necessary for the other degrees to be used to their potential, so there is obviously a need for them; however, there are degrees like Art History and Religious Studies, that I feel serve no real purpose outside of being “interesting.”

This thread has brought the aforementioned point more to my attention. Specifically that the other degrees do play a role in engineering and science, so they do play an important role. I do concede in that respect.

[QUOTE=eason49;400136]Business is very useful. I fear I was too broad earlier. I guess my three branches of usefulness are: engineering, science, and business. Business is vital because it is the motor behind engineering and science. A lot of liberal arts are necessary for the other degrees to be used to their potential, so there is obviously a need for them; however, there are degrees like Art History and Religious Studies, that I feel serve no real purpose outside of being “interesting.”

This thread has brought the aforementioned point more to my attention. Specifically that the other degrees do play a role in engineering and science. I do concede in that respect.[/QUOTE]

I pity you. Your narrow view of things will really hinder your intellectual capacity and enjoyment of the world in which you live.

[QUOTE=eason49;400136]Business is very useful. I guess my three branches of usefulness are: engineering, science, and business. Business is vital because it is the motor behind engineering and science. A lot of liberal arts are necessary for the other degrees to be used to their potential, so there is obviously a need for them; however, there are degrees like Art History and Religious Studies, that I feel serve no real purpose outside of being “interesting.”

This thread has brought the aforementioned point more to my attention. Specifically that the other degrees do play a role in engineering and science. I do concede in that respect.[/QUOTE]

That is how I thought you meant things. And I agree with you many may not be a day to day usefulness to many of us, it may be important for certain events and to others. I just had to stand up for the graphic designers. They make my ideas look good on a daily basis.

I pity you. Your narrow view of things will really hinder your intellectual capacity and enjoyment of the world in which you live.
Do you think the government should fund the arts? That's sort of off-topic, but sort of related since this is a public university. Ones opinion on such would obviously affect how you would want the academic direction to head, as well.

[QUOTE=eason49;400127]

Would that be more useful if it had art drawn on it?[/QUOTE]
:lmao: :thumbsup: Nice!

[QUOTE=thelew1014;400138]I pity you. Your narrow view of things will really hinder your intellectual capacity and enjoyment of the world in which you live.[/QUOTE]
You haven’t exactly shown a broad view of the situation yourself. You seem to think that the art on the money is more important than the financial system. How does art play a role in the financial system as it goes all digital? I won’t deny art’s role in society, but neither can you deny the impact of engineering alone on society in the last 100 years. Both contribute to society. Engineering is my bread and butter. I love physics and math and it’s what pays the bills. At the same time, I turn on the radio as soon as I get in the car and love hearing my wife play the harp. Each has it’s role.

[QUOTE=eason49;400136]Business is very useful. I guess my three branches of usefulness are: engineering, science, and business. Business is vital because it is the motor behind engineering and science. A lot of liberal arts are necessary for the other degrees to be used to their potential, so there is obviously a need for them; however, there are degrees like Art History and Religious Studies, that I feel serve no real purpose outside of being “interesting.”

[/QUOTE]a friend of mine’s dad is one of the higher ranking execs of what used to be wachovia and he was a religious studies major. The owner of the investment bank my brother works at was a history major.

To answer your previous question as to why I majored in history, I was/am interested in it, and at the time thought I wanted to teach history.