Academic Direction of the University

I had a very interesting discussion with one of my history professors yesterday about the direction we are headed in with regard to our academic programs. The basis of the discussion was a question I asked, “Why doesn’t UNC Charlotte have a doctoral/Ph D. granting program in our History Department?”

His answer was that the department had pushed for one back around the time of Dubois’ arrival, but due to funding issues it was shot down. My professor tends to be long winded, but he made some good points. It is his opinion that the University is venturing further and further away from its liberal arts basis and becoming what he calls “Charlotte Tech” due to the strength of our College of Computing and Informatics, the WS Lee College of Engineering, the creation and build up of CRI, etc.

With the 7% budget reversion, the History department is not going to hire 4 new faculty members that it had planned on. Everyone is having to make cuts, and thats how the History department is doing it. But this isnt the biggest problem that became clear to me.

We are losing history faculty and have been for some time. Faculty turnover happens. My professor said that he would understand someone leaving UNC Charlotte’s history department for, say, an Ivy League School, or a large, well funded, research intensive public school like Univ or Georgia, or Florida, or Tenn, or Virginia. This isnt the case though. We are losing faculty to[B] PEER INSTITUTIONS[/B] such as Temple, George Mason, and UCF. WHY? Because they have Ph D. programs and the funding is there for them to do research and work with the best of the best.

Our History Deparment’s M.A. Program is traditionally very strong; we have sent our M.A.'s to get their Ph D.'s at the likes of UNC-CH, Princeton, Brown, Yale, Duke, etc. But we don’t have a PhD. program of our own because, in my professor’s opinion, the emphasis is placed on science and technology, not the humanities and liberal arts. We have a pretty diverse crowd on this message board from an academic standpoint. I’d hope that at least every college is represented by a regular poster.

SO, my question is this.

[B]How do you feel about the academic direction of our University, both short term and long term?[/B] Do you feel that we are moving more towards a “Charlotte Tech” school or that my professor is way off? Is that necessarily a bad thing? Why or Why not? Do you feel that some or all of our programs are getting stronger, staying the same, or declining? Is our rapid growth helping us or hurting us?

Lets have a serious discussion about where we are headed. After all, we are here to get a degree first and foremost.

I would imagine that we’re headed to Charlotte Tech because Engineering & Architechure students make more, & can contribute more back to the U. that History majors like me.
Maybe if we get a rep. as a Tech school, then those non-Techies of us will get higher pay. Isn’t that what it’s about on your degree?
I would like to see a Med School, a Law School, possibly a Dental & Vet School.
I’d also like us to sht or get off the pot on a Pharmacy School. It’s stupid to be 2-year, & then transfer to UNC-CH. Have the whole program or none, not this half-a55 sht.

I have a History degree, so from my seat that is bad news.

Long winded history professor… was this by chance Dan Morrill? He was my favorite professor I had in college.

I also feel that the university is moving more towards a technical focus and away from liberal arts. That’s not to say that our liberal arts programs aren’t any good, but our engineering, architechture, etc. are very strong and getting stronger.

I think it makes sense that the school is focusing on technical programs, and this is coming from someone with a liberal arts degree from UNC Charlotte (Geography).

Our best bet to make a niche in the grand scheme of things is with progressive technical programs and strong complementary liberal arts. Keeping the Business School up is very important as well.

I’m pleased with the shift to “Charlotte Tech.” Science/Tech majors are generally more useful to society. Not that the other degrees don’t have their place…

I just don’t understand the reasoning for majoring in things such as English, Art, etc.

[QUOTE=eason49;400082]I’m pleased with the shift to “Charlotte Tech.” Science/Tech majors are generally more useful to society.

I don’t understand the reasoning for majoring in things such as English, Art, etc.[/QUOTE]

The reasoning for majoring in English or Art is that you major in what you are good at, interested in, and what you feel will best prepare you for your career path. Sometimes, each of these criteria get weighed differently based on what is most important to you and your college experience/career ambitions.

I want to go to law school. I’m good at research, reading, writing, communicating orally. I’m terrible with computers, math, and science. I major in history because it allows me to excel at what I’m good at and it will adequately prepare me for law school.

Does that make me not as useful to society?

The reasoning for majoring in English or Art is that you major in what you are good at, interested in, and what you feel will best prepare you for your career path. Sometimes, each of these criteria get weighed differently based on what is most important to you and your college experience/career ambitions.

I want to go to law school. I’m good at research, reading, writing, communicating orally. I’m terrible with computers, math, and science. I major in history because it allows me to excel at what I’m good at and it will adequately prepare me for law school.

Does that make me not as useful to society?

As a scientist, you have the capabilities to make society a better place with breakthroughs and advancements. I guess I don’t see the huge benefit to society provided by individuals with English degrees. “Scientists tend to have greater potential to society” would perhaps be a better way to put it.

I’m not saying the other degrees shouldn’t exist, but they strike me more as people spending four years (or more) of their life in something that isn’t going to make them a lot of money and is not going to give them the potential to do anything historic.

Your “arts” degree is more of a stepping-stone to a more useful career.

[QUOTE=jfickett;400083]The reasoning for majoring in English or Art is that you major in what you are good at, interested in, and what you feel will best prepare you for your career path. Sometimes, each of these criteria get weighed differently based on what is most important to you and your college experience/career ambitions.

Does that make me not as useful to society?[/QUOTE]

I hope he was making a joke. I think he was, at least. If he wasn’t, then there is pretty good irony in the fact that he even made a coherent and complete sentence.

edit: he clarified. i still think it would be better as a joke.

I hope he was making a joke. I think he was, at least. If he wasn't, then there is pretty good irony in the fact that he even made a coherent and complete sentence.

edit: he clarified. i still think it would be better as a joke.

It wasn’t meant to say non-science/engineering/math degrees are worthless. I just don’t feel how they’re as useful to society, and was genuinely curious why the people that chose them did so… whether it be passion, fitting their personality, etc.

People don’t tend to major in English for the money.

As a scientist, you have the capabilities to make society a better place with breakthroughs and advancements. I guess I don't see the huge benefit to society provided by individuals with English degrees. "Scientists tend to have greater potential to society" would perhaps be a better way to put it.

I’m not saying the other degrees shouldn’t exist, but they strike me more as people spending four years (or more) of their life in something that isn’t going to make them a lot of money and is not going to give them the potential to do anything historic.

Your “arts” degree is more of a stepping-stone to a more useful career.

Policy isn’t a physical science, and that does a WHOLE LOT for society…

I don’t see architecture as a tech so much as an art form. It may be more technical than painting or sculpture or design, but it is still art. Personally, I think the joining of the College of Arts and the College of Architecture have already done good things and those good things will continue. We will soon be offering a Masters of Fine Arts in Graphic Design for sure here, and possibly other arts as well. I’m afraid of the idea of us becoming a “Tech” school simply because as an artist a tech school doesn’t have that same prestige. However, if a name change comes with the territory I think I’ll accept it.

If we became CTU then we could use Jack Bauer as our alternative mascot.

[QUOTE=action49er;400080]Long winded history professor… was this by chance Dan Morrill? He was my favorite professor I had in college.

I also feel that the university is moving more towards a technical focus and away from liberal arts. That’s not to say that our liberal arts programs aren’t any good, but our engineering, architechture, etc. are very strong and getting stronger.[/QUOTE]

I am a history major and must agree that Morrill has been my favorite professor at the university. There is a fan group for him on facebook. A quote from him on there reads “If you take anything away from this class, take this; marry rich, you can learn to love anyone.” He used to hate on the idea of football here all the time though.

We’re definitely going towards technical. I believe the reasoning is because the competition is smaller. Basically you have NC State. With liberal arts you pretty much have all of the other schools in the UNC system. Let’s be honest, the engineering and architecture programs have always been what distinguishes us from most of the other schools. It makes sense to build upon that.

I still think a medical and law school would be a unique niche for Charlotte and would be a huge success. But we’re at the mercy of the UNC system to get that accomplished. It is the biggest example of how the system holds UNC Charlotte back. I don’t think its so much that leadership at UNC Charlotte is against a medical or law school as it is they know it won’t get approved or funded by the UNC system.

This is a very interesting topic for me. I am also a history major, and am actually entering a history PhD program in the fall. While I would love for my Alma mater to have more doctoral programs (especially in the humanities), I think that certain realities dictate that this is not the right time for our university to add a history PhD program.

Besides the fact that we are going through budget cuts and focusing more on the sciences, the abysmal nature of the job market for history PhDs makes it difficult to justify adding a doctoral program in history at Charlotte. More specifically, there is a [I]massive[/I] oversupply of history PhDs, meaning that there are more people graduating with PhDs than available jobs in academia. This is true in general with the humanities, not just history. Thus, while adding a new doctoral program in the humanties may look good for our university, it exacerabates the problem of an already aybsmal academic job market. Not to mention, graduates from an unestablished program will have an incredibly difficult time finding jobs, and a poor placement rate would in many ways reflect worse on our univesrity than not having a doctoral program.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need to focus on adding doctoral programs that will not aggravate the academic job market, and will be able to consistently place graduates. This means we probably should focus more on the social sciences, natural sciences, or computing and enginneering. If things are different in 10-15 years or so, maybe we can reevaluate adding more doctoral programs in the humanities.

Not only is there less competition from other universities like Normmm said, but tech degrees also cater to businesses in the community. There are a lot of energy companies in the area (with Duke obviously being the most notable) and there have been dozens of energy companies that have inquired about moving their operations here. Charlotte may end up being a center for green energy development in the future.

Being that the school is located in the largest city in the Carolinas; a medical school, law school and business school should always be a part of the curriculum IMO.

Wow, lots of fellow History majors here! I would love to see a PhD program here for History, but I am happy with the tech direction. I think we should focus on Engineering, Architecture, etc. and obviously Business. I would also love for us to get a med school and a law school. All of those things can contribute greatly to the Charlotte area.
Liberal Arts schools might generally be more well regarded but there are several tech schools that have great reputations. MIT comes to mind right away, but also Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech. I would love to see us known as the city’s university where people go to get degrees in business, engineering, etc.

[QUOTE=eason49;400088]It wasn’t meant to say non-science/engineering/math degrees are worthless. I just don’t feel how they’re as useful to society, and was genuinely curious why the people that chose them did so… whether it be passion, fitting their personality, etc.

People don’t tend to major in English for the money.[/QUOTE]

Not useful for society? Are you serious? You’re not very bright, are you?