Ace & TJ

While we are on this topic, I usually visit Yahoo! for my sports scores and have noticed that they still havenā€™t updated the Top 25 score bar to say ā€œCharlotteā€ā€¦we still appear as ā€œUNC Charlotteā€. The team page and other references on the site are correct, however.

This is a link to report errors

I just sent a quick note, but it may help if a few others tried also. Be sure to point out that it is correct everywhere else on the site - it may help speed the process along if they donā€™t have to dig up some kind of official confirmation. :huh:

[i]Originally posted by Pork Chop[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 02:37 PM [b] I'm just glad that the national (and sometimes local) media doesn't call the team NC-Charlotte. There are tons of schools in this era that shortenend their name to get more recognition: UT Chattanooga dropped the UT, Kent State dropped the State, Memphis State dropped the State, Southeast Missouri State is now just SMS, Detroit U. and Mercy College merged and became Detroit-Mercy, now its just Detroit.

Thats a fun game. Well for me anyway, Iā€™m a big tool. Can anyone else think of recently shortened names for athletic programs? [/b]

Actually, SMS is Southwest Missouri State. My cousin is the cross country coach there and he said theyā€™ve had a lot of trouble with those two schools being confused.

Other schools in NC have unofficially dropped ā€œUNCā€ from their athletics uniforms, at leastā€¦ UNCAā€™s uniforms just say ā€œAshevilleā€ and I think UNCGā€™s just say ā€œGreensboro.ā€ But thatā€™s another identity problem itself, since thereā€™s a separate institution called Greensboro College.

Thanks for dropping the SMS knowledge, TF. Iā€™m a big dork about this stuff. A friend of mine and I like to play this game where one will name the college and the other has to name its nickname. He usually wins because heā€™s a hockey fan. Heā€™ll ask me like Minnesota-Mankato and Iā€™ll just go tell him to go mineshaft himself. Stupid hockey.

[i]Originally posted by Pork Chop[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 03:37 PM [b] Thanks for dropping the SMS knowledge, TF. I'm a big dork about this stuff. A friend of mine and I like to play this game where one will name the college and the other has to name its nickname. He usually wins because he's a hockey fan. He'll ask me like Minnesota-Mankato and I'll just go tell him to go mineshaft himself. Stupid hockey. [/b]
haha... Silly sport, hockey is.... didn't there used to be a professional hockey league in the U.S.? Hmm....

One of the other teachers at the school I work at calls me ā€œRain Manā€ because I know so many sports nicknames. I knew watching hours upon hours of SportsCenter would get me somewhere in life.

I think the school most ripe for a name change has to be Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Theyā€™re a satellite school of a satellite school! Imagine if there was a N.C. State-Asheboro. Look for them to be come ā€œCorpus Christiā€ sometime soon.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 03:33 PM [b] Other schools in NC have unofficially dropped "UNC" from their athletics uniforms, at least... UNCA's uniforms just say "Asheville" and I think UNCG's just say "Greensboro." But that's another identity problem itself, since there's a separate institution called Greensboro College. [/b]
Alex, both teams are using their nicknames, the Spartans and the Pride, on their uniforms. And Greensboro College has a pretty good up and coming coach in former Wake Forest 3-sport player, Rusty LaRue.

Itā€™s hard to belive that someone could average 6 points per game in college and have a 6 year professional career.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 16 2005, 03:43 PM [b] Alex, both teams are using their nicknames, the Spartans and the Pride, on their uniforms. [/b]
Ah. Probably a good call on their part. Have we ever used "Forty-Niners" on the uniform?

Iā€™d forgotten about Rusty Larue! Itā€™s amazing who can get into the NBA (Larue, Darko, Matt Wenstrom) and who canā€™t (DeMarco).

Yes, FORTY across the top and NINERS under the number was on the home uniforms during the 79-82 seasons under Mike Pratt. They were in the same type font as the Kansas jersyes have.

Hofstra used to be the Flying Dutchmen. Now theyā€™re the Pride. Booo! Furman Purple Palladins dropped the Purple Booooooo! The Elon Phoenix used to be the Elon Fighting Christians. I guess they didnā€™t fight too much, just kept turning the other cheek.

TF, youā€™re the man! Quagmire avatar and a fellow nickname dork. Allright!

this thread has been hijacked :ph34r: