Al Jefferson to the Bobcats

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:20, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

I’m glad to see the cats went and got a proven guy that isn’t ancient (28 y/o). We needed someone down low and I’m glad to see we got him and his name wasn’t Dwight Howard.

In other news, we’re talking about the Bobnets in terms of players (not just the name of the franchise). Something must have been done right![/quote]

I get that but the only path to success for them is luck of the draft. Should have just rolled the dice one more year. Going to be hard for small market to ever turn things around with getting lucky in the draft.[/quote]

I don’t know the details but I keep hearing that the new CBA should really help the smaller markets (non-NBA source). Here is to hoping for that!

[quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

I’m glad to see the cats went and got a proven guy that isn’t ancient (28 y/o). We needed someone down low and I’m glad to see we got him and his name wasn’t Dwight Howard.

In other news, we’re talking about the Bobnets in terms of players (not just the name of the franchise). Something must have been done right![/quote] Do the Bobcats have 3 first round picks next year? General opinion is that the draft will be loaded, right?

[quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

In other news, we’re talking about the Bobnets in terms of players (not just the name of the franchise). Something must have been done right![/quote] Do the Bobcats have 3 first round picks next year? General opinion is that the draft will be loaded, right?[/quote]possibly, but it is not guaranteed. I think we do have a minimum of two though.

[quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:27928”][quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

In other news, we’re talking about the Bobnets in terms of players (not just the name of the franchise). Something must have been done right![/quote] Do the Bobcats have 3 first round picks next year? General opinion is that the draft will be loaded, right?[/quote]possibly, but it is not guaranteed. I think we do have a minimum of two though.[/quote]

Nope. If Charlotte’s pick falls outside the top 5 it belongs to Chicago, they get Detroits pick if its outside the top 8, and they get Portlands pick if its outside the top 12. So there’s a huge chance they have no 1st round picks next year.

[quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:24, topic:27928”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:27928”][quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

In other news, we’re talking about the Bobnets in terms of players (not just the name of the franchise). Something must have been done right![/quote] Do the Bobcats have 3 first round picks next year? General opinion is that the draft will be loaded, right?[/quote]possibly, but it is not guaranteed. I think we do have a minimum of two though.[/quote]

Nope. If Charlotte’s pick falls outside the top 5 it belongs to Chicago, they get Detroits pick if its outside the top 8, and they get Portlands pick if its outside the top 12. So there’s a huge chance they have no 1st round picks next year.[/quote] Wow. That’d be discouraging if I cared.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:25, topic:27928”][quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:24, topic:27928”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:27928”][quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

Nope. If Charlotte’s pick falls outside the top 5 it belongs to Chicago, they get Detroits pick if its outside the top 8, and they get Portlands pick if its outside the top 12. So there’s a huge chance they have no 1st round picks next year.[/quote] Wow. That’d be discouraging if I cared.[/quote]

You cared enough to comment it seems… ;D

^^^^^

Idle curiosity. Not caring. :slight_smile:

[quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:24, topic:27928”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:27928”][quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

Nope. If Charlotte’s pick falls outside the top 5 it belongs to Chicago, they get Detroits pick if its outside the top 8, and they get Portlands pick if its outside the top 12. So there’s a huge chance they have no 1st round picks next year.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Charlotte’s pick has to fall outside the top ten in 2014 to lose that pick tp Chicago.

I’ve read top 5 protected and top 10 protected. Idk what to believe. Ha

[quote=“49ersRock, post:28, topic:27928”][quote=“2012ALUMNI49er, post:24, topic:27928”][quote=“Niner National, post:23, topic:27928”][quote=“4ever niner, post:22, topic:27928”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:19, topic:27928”]We can’t play to the draft… this isn’t the NFL.

Nope. If Charlotte’s pick falls outside the top 5 it belongs to Chicago, they get Detroits pick if its outside the top 8, and they get Portlands pick if its outside the top 12. So there’s a huge chance they have no 1st round picks next year.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Charlotte’s pick has to fall outside the top ten in 2014 to lose that pick tp Chicago.[/quote]

Your right, it’s top 10 protected

I for one love the draft, but who’s to say we don’t get screwed again and pick 5th or 6th next year? There are going to be a lot of really bad teams (Philly, Bucks, Suns, Celtics, Magic, Sacramento) going for that top pick.

I’m pretty ok with the singing, because next years free agent crop isn’t great in terms of players that would actually come here. U have marquee guys and then a bunch of restricted players.

This could be a playoff team in a couple of years

[size=xx-small][font=arial]Bobcats receive the Blazers’ 2014 first-round pick (top 12 protected in the 2014, and 2015, and unprotected in 2016) (Gerald Wallace trade 02-24-11[/font][/size][size=xx-small][font=arial])[/font][/size]

[size=xx-small][font=arial]Bobcats receive the Pistons’ 2014 first-round pick (top 8 protected in 2014, top 1 in 2015, and unprotected in 2016) (Gerald Wallace trade 02-24-11)[/font][/size]

[size=xx-small][font=arial]Bulls receive the Bobcats’ 2014 first-round pick (top 10 protected in 2014, top 8 protected in 2015, unprotected in 2016) (Tyrus Thomas trade 02-18-10)[/font][/size]
[size=xx-small][/size]
[size=xx-small][/size]
[font=arial][size=4]So it would be ideal for the Bobcats to have a decent season this year and give a 11-20 pick to the Bulls. Then, the Pistons stink this year and get a top pick in 15’ or 16’. Also, the Blazers have two poor seasons and in 2015/2016 the Bobcats would have 2 or three high first rounders.[/size][/font]

Why play to the draft? Everyone knows it’s rigged. It’s going to go to another big market team. The Boston Celtics will have the #1 pick.

If that is indeed the case then half the league might as well disband. It would mean that small markets have essentially ZERO chance at making a run at a title. The two small markets everyone wants to uphold as success are San Antonio (who got lucky with the draft in the previous “era” with Robinson and Durant) and OKC (Durant). So if we are saying Charlotte can’t or wont be allowed to win the lottery and the soft cap allows deep pocket owners and markets an advantage and players these days would rather play with their friends than win on their own then why would I ever become a Charlotte NBA fan again and why would I be a fan of a system that basically eliminates half the league from being contenders?

I know some of you all say the best teams are great and fun to watch. Well fine, just let all the great teams play and have a league of 12 large markets. Until the league fixes this crap and gives each team a legit and real shot at a title I don’t see why I should care.

They didn’t get lucky with Robinson, they got lucky with Duncan though for sure.

Also, there are plenty of shitty teams in the NFL also.

Yep half the league should disband with the current setup. The NFL is great because every team has a shot. At least baseball develops talent in smaller markets. The luxury tax in bball is a joke.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:35, topic:27928”]They didn’t get lucky with Robinson, they got lucky with Duncan though for sure.

Also, there are plenty of shitty teams in the NFL also.[/quote]
Yes there are shitty teams in the nfl, however, it often varies from year to year. Seattle was shitty not long ago. The Rams were shitty but are on the rise. The Bengals were shitty for a long time then made the playoffs. Every team has a chance. Even Jacksonville.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:35, topic:27928”]They didn’t get lucky with Robinson, they got lucky with Duncan though for sure.

Also, there are plenty of shitty teams in the NFL also.[/quote]

Lucky as in you have to have some luck to win the draft lottery and then win it when there is a clear cut franchise player. By that count the Spurs got lucky twice. The Duncan one was uber luck since the only reason they sucked so bad was Robinson was out for nearly the entire season (they did have the third worst record in the league that year).

Yes there are plenty of shitty NFL teams, but their system really sets it up to allow franchises to turn things around through the salary cap and the ability to cut players. And not just turn it around to make the playoffs, but turn things around to make it to the Superbowl. The NBA system is set up to create power teams. Works great if you are a fan of one of them, but if you are in a small market, then why should you be a fan of your team when you have virtually no shot at a title. I don’t care if the nets have a stacked team or the heat are fun to watch. What I care about is if our team, the local team, has a legit shot and it certainly appears they don’t.

My response here was in reaction to someone saying the draft is rigged and the NBA will pick the winner of the draft - so if the draft is rigged (hasn’t gone right for us yet), the refs give calls to star players at a rate I haven’t seen since I started watching the NBA in 1983 (we have no star players), the soft salary cap (allows deep pockets like nets and mavs to go over the cap and horde talent), players want to play with their friends (no one wants to come to charlotte) and finally poor decisions on talent weigh down teams for years and years because of the contract structure (Tyrus Thomas should have been able to be cut ala NFL rules).

So based on that why should I care about the Horcats? I want to, I really, really do. I grew up LOVING the NBA. I was at the hornets first game in 88, I was there when we beat the bulls in 88, i was there when we beat the celtics and was later a season ticket holder. I watched the NBA non stop for years. The problems aren’t new - they are just worse than they ever have been.

Tell that to the Kansas City Chiefs. Tell that to the Detroit Lions. How about the titans? Or does one super bowl appearance 12 years ago equal a shot? Jaguars?

Tell that to the Kansas City Chiefs. Tell that to the Detroit Lions. How about the titans? Or does one super bowl appearance 12 years ago equal a shot? Jaguars?[/quote]
Poor management is to blame not the setup. I’m a Raiders fan and it’s not the leagues fault we have sucked. If the league could stack things, the Cowboys would be in the SB every year and they haven’t won a playoff game in ages.