Alex Kuehl

From the Charlotte Business Journal:

[b]Recruited turns recruiter: That's the case for Alex Kuehl, a 7-foot-2 former UNC Charlotte hoops player who has returned to town as head of Florida-based Custom Staffing's first operation here.

Kuehl, a native German who came to America at 18 to play basketball, spent two seasons with the 49ers in the mid-1990s before going on to a six-year pro hoop career in Europe.

Now he’s back, opening Custom Staffing’s 3,500-square-foot Ballantyne office with five employees. Based near Orlando, privately held Custom Staffing offers a variety of services, from clerical to construction.

Eric Stevens, Custom Staffing CEO, says the biggest challenge working with Kuehl has been making sure the basketball giant doesn’t intimidate prospective clients.

“He’s 7-2 and 350 pounds with a deep voice – we’ve worked hard to make sure Alex doesn’t scare the hell out of people,” Stevens says.

As for Kuehl, whose wife played volleyball at UNC Charlotte, being back in the Queen City feels like a homecoming: “People took me in and took care of me when I was in college, and I always wanted to get back. It’s great to be in Charlotte again.”

[/b]

I remember he could completely conceal a beer can with one hand. Big mofo.

I also remember he only dunked 1 time in his career.

[i]Originally posted by Nugget[/i]@Jul 5 2005, 04:52 PM [b] From the Charlotte Business Journal:
[b]Recruited turns recruiter: That's the case for Alex Kuehl, a 7-foot-2 former UNC Charlotte hoops player who has returned to town as head of Florida-based Custom Staffing's first operation here.

Kuehl, a native German who came to America at 18 to play basketball, spent two seasons with the 49ers in the mid-1990s before going on to a six-year pro hoop career in Europe.

Now he’s back, opening Custom Staffing’s 3,500-square-foot Ballantyne office with five employees. Based near Orlando, privately held Custom Staffing offers a variety of services, from clerical to construction.

Eric Stevens, Custom Staffing CEO, says the biggest challenge working with Kuehl has been making sure the basketball giant doesn’t intimidate prospective clients.

“He’s 7-2 and 350 pounds with a deep voice – we’ve worked hard to make sure Alex doesn’t scare the hell out of people,” Stevens says.

As for Kuehl, whose wife played volleyball at UNC Charlotte, being back in the Queen City feels like a homecoming: “People took me in and took care of me when I was in college, and I always wanted to get back. It’s great to be in Charlotte again.”

[/b]

[/b]

Thanks. This is something you’ll NEVER read in The O…unless one of his employees went to college in crapple hole.

i met alexander kuehl at a game at unc-wilmington when i was like 9 years old. i shook his hand and i think my arm dissapeared up to the elbow

I saw Kuehl at the Southern Miss (homecoming) game this year and went up and said hey to him. I think he was amazed anybody remembered him. Cool guy. Would take him over Iti any day of the week.

We had season tix the season before we moved to Texas (1996-1997). Coach Watkins let us come in at the end of practice to get our new Halton Arena poster signed by the guys on the team. Kuehl took the time to shoot a few hoops with our two boys. I have a picture of him holding our then 7 year old son in his arms. Both of our boys worshiped the ground he walked on and we now have the (framed) picture to prove it!

Like ForDniner, I’ll take him over Iti any day of the week!

iti wouldnt stand a chance against this monster of a man

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Jul 9 2005, 09:15 PM [b] iti wouldnt stand a chance against this monster of a man [/b]
Iti wouldn't stand a chance against the center at the high school I teach at.
[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Jul 9 2005, 11:02 PM [b] Iti wouldn't stand a chance against the center at the high school I teach at. [/b]
lol true
[i]Originally posted by forDniner[/i]@Jul 9 2005, 04:29 PM [b] I think he was amazed anybody remembered him. [/b]
We need another Alex "Big Daddy" Kuehle. We've had no "true" center better than him since he graduated. I consider Kelvin more of a power forward who played the center position out of our necessity. I would have loved to have had Kuehle on the 1998 squad. Kuehle made DeMarco's life much easier when he was manning the middle. He averaged 6.5 ppg and 7.9 rpg his senior season. There were no drives to the hoop by the opposition while he was in the game, either. In the 95-96 season (Kuehle's junior year), we were 6-5 after a very tough non-conference schedule. We seemed to be turning a corner and were playing our first ever CUSA game at Memphis, led by Lorenzen Wright. We were up by a slim margin and playing well when Kuehle went down. He broke a bone in his foot, and was out for the rest of the season. We lost by 2 to Memphis, and went 8-9 the rest of the season and had no postseason. The worst thing I remember about that season other than Kuehle's injury was getting our @$$es kicked by Davidson on OUR court. I don't think that would have happened with a healthy Keuhle, and we definitely would have been in one of the postseason tourney's with him healthy. DeMarco played well without Kuehle in the lineup, but he was much better with Kuehle keeping the opposing heat off of him on the offensive end. I would love to have a Kuehle-like player next year to take the heat off of Withers. Too bad Iti couldn't even fulfill that role.
[b]...opening Custom Staffing's 3,500-square-foot Ballantyne office with five employees. [/b]

700 sq ft/ employee? That’s a big ole’ building for 5 employees. :lol:

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17+Jul 9 2005, 11:28 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Chisox17 @ Jul 9 2005, 11:28 PM)

lol classic :lol:

the martin iti jokes will never EVER die :smiley:

His son - 2021 6-10 C Alijah Kuehl - has committed to San Diego. Not aware that we were involved.

1 Like