Bench:
Willie Mays
Roberto Clemente
Harmon Killebrew
Rogers Hornsby
Ted Williams
Mickey Mantle
Johnny Bench

-Only chose from those currently in HOF, some players who could make this team not in the HOF yet are: Pujols, Manny, Randy Johnson, Lincecum (got a long ways to go), Mauer

[QUOTE=Normmm;420927]It’s funny how Maddox hardly gets discussed in these type of conversations. I’m guilty of it too. I think just because he wasn’t a power pitcher. But his career ERA, with his lack of power, is pretty crazy. Not to mention something like 10 gold gloves.[/QUOTE]

I thought of Maddox but I saw him pitch too much in the postseason where the Umps actually made him throw strikes and he got ripped most times.

I thought of Maddox but I saw him pitch too much in the postseason where the Umps actually made him throw strikes and he got ripped most times.

qft

First off, it’s Maddux. I’m a Braves fan and I would’t put Maddux on an all time team. He was a great pitcher, but like you said, there were some games where he absoultely got shelled. Maddux was great with the glove though, the best defensive pitcher of his era.

In fact, if you made me choose a guy to hand the ball to from those mid-90’s squads, I’d have to go Smoltz. Smoltz is an absolute workhorse, although I will admit, It would be hard to not go with Steve Avery :biggrin:.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;421110]In fact, if you made me choose a guy to hand the ball to from those mid-90’s squads, I’d have to go Smoltz. Smoltz is an absolute workhorse, although I will admit, It would be hard to not go with Steve Avery :biggrin:.[/QUOTE]
PETE SMITH, DUDE! YOU’RE FORGETTING PETE SMITH!

Smoltz was the power pitcher out of that bunch, Maddux had the best control, and Glavine had the best curveball.

JOHN MAINE

c - Carlton Fisk
1b - Frank Thomas
2b - Nellie Fox
ss - Lou Appling
3b - Robin Ventura
lf - Minnie Minoso
cf - Lance Johnson
rf - Jermain Dye
dh - Harold Baines

p - Jack McDowell
p - Mark Buehrle
p - Alex Fernandez
p - Steve Carlton

rp - Bobby Thigpen
rp - Roberto Hernandez

manager - Ozzie Guillen

:shades:

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;420883]C - Bench
1B - Gehrig
2B - J. Robinson
3B - Mathews
SS - O. Smith
LF - T. Williams
CF - Mays
RF - Aaron

LHP - Koufax, Carlton
RHP - Ryan, Gibson
Closer - Eckersley

MGR - McGraw
Pitching Coach - Mazzone
1B Coach - E. Weaver
3B Coach - C. Stengel[/QUOTE]

in my opinion, this is the most accurate all-time list I have seen in this thread. Except I’d replace E. Weaver with George “Sparky” Anderson.

I will put this OF and pitching staff up against any group in MLB history.

Can’t remember and I’m too tired to look it up…Is Biff Poccaroba still on the HOF ballot?

Not directed at anyone, but this is an impossible task. Maybe it should be divided into two teams? How can you leave out guys like Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, DiMaggio, Cy Young, Clemente…

[QUOTE=MeanJoeGreen;421146]Not directed at anyone, but this is an impossible task. Maybe it should be divided into two teams? How can you leave out guys like Ruth, Cobb, Mantle, Mays, Robinson, DiMaggio, Cy Young, Clemente…[/QUOTE]

You can’t- it’s too hard to compare eras.

Truthfully, ARod’s the best 3B I’ve seen and Albert Pujouls is as good as it gets.

I was very lucky to be able to work and attend the ceremony yesterday. It was AWESOME and I highly, HIGHLY urge everyone to make it out to Cooperstown one summer and attend a ceremony and visit the Hall of Fame!
Check out some of the great pieces from the weekend:
[URL]http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/index.jsp[/URL]

side note…check below:
[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4358260[/URL]
LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!