Alma Mater

After some delay…mostly due to rehearsal…we in the Niner Pep Band finally broke out the Alma Mater tonight, immediately after the post-game fight song. Why? Because of public outcry…and most importantly, because we SAID we would.

Just wondering if any of the Alumni ( or students for that matter) had any thoughts on it, especially since there was such a demand for it earlier in the year. I hope it sounded good to finally hear it played after a game.

I did notice last night how big the pep band is. Seems like it’s 50% bigger than any year to date. Band sounded really good. All we need now is someone with a big war drum to help with a few chants.

I think this was a nice touch, but who was around to hear it? Unfortunately, I was not because I was caught up in the current popular social trend to exit a sports venue ASAP. I DID NOT LEAVE EARLY, but so many “fans” do these days. “Got to beat the traffic”, you know. For what? Another 10 minutes of cell phone action? Also, was that a late-arriving-apathetic crowd there last night or what? The alum section where I sit is getting especially blah at games. I guess we’re aging. The mid-court students did a respectable job. I do think the Rutgers debacle took it’s toll on our overall spirit already. Hope it returns soon. (BTW, Rutgers lost at home last night to Penn State. UGH!!) (End of rant.)

[b]"Got to beat the traffic", you know. For what? Another 10 minutes of cell phone action? [/b]

For me, any 15 minutes of waiting in traffic helps make the hour and 15 minute drive home that much better. If the game was in doubt, of course I wouldn’t have left early.

Drummer, I didn’t hang around to hear the alma mater. I hope I get to hear it sometime this year, but if you elect to play it after the fight song at the conclusion of every game I’ll be sitting in the parking deck while your playing it. I know it’s not “tradition” by other schools standards, but if we could find a way to incorporate it into the pre-game festivities it would be great. Anyways, we alumni appreciate the fact that you are playing it.

P.S. I also liked the rendition of “Soul Finger”. It sounded really good.

I am sorry I didn’t post this sooner, but I thought it was a nice touch. The band did a great job. We hung around just to hear you guys. I am sorry more people didn’t stick around to. I think it will have a big impact after a major win, when more people are milling around after the game enjoying a victory (hopefully this Sat. night). I think on a Wed. night most people are in a hurry to get home. If you guys continue to play it, it will catch on and a tradition will be born.

Thanks for playing it, it was the first time I had ever heard it.

Also, I think I saw JKNiner tearing up while listening to performance, so it did touch some more than others.

BTW, my son (7) thought it was pretty cool when you threw your sticks up to your buddy. He said he was going to catch the next one.

My wife and I stuck around to hear it. Sounded great. Nice touch. I’d like to hear it more, maybe during pregame warmups?

I’m glad y’all liked it. It was cool to see a lot of people heading for the exits actually stop and turn and listen. I hope it will catch on - we’re planning to play it after every game now, win or lose.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 2 2004, 09:52 AM [b] I'd like to hear it more, maybe during pregame warmups?[/b]
I don't know about that.....it may confuse some people. It has a "Star Spangled Banner" feel to it. My son put his hand over his heart while we were listening. I told him it wasn't the Star Spangled Banner, but told him he should keep his hand over his heart and take his hat off. :D
[i]Originally posted by NinerAl+Dec 2 2004, 11:08 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAl @ Dec 2 2004, 11:08 AM)

It would be a great tradition to keep it in and play it after every game win or lose. I thought it sounded great and would love to see it be a constant.

I heard about it last night after the game. I will stay Saturday night after the game and listen to it though.

Sounded very good, looking forward to hearing it again.

My wife and I stayed for it. I am directly opposite the band (section 111) and I had a hard time hearing it start up, but it sounded very good after you guys got going. Look forward to making that a tradition!!

WE hung around and listened to it. Our reward was talking to Calvin Clemmons, who is playing in Syria right now and enjoying the warm weather and attractive women.

Good for Cal! Lucky guy…

But, like TF, I’m glad you guys enjoyed it, and as stated, we will be playing it at the conclusion of every game.

This school NEEDS more tradition…to go along with what seems to be a noticable increase in school spirit. I’m actually dating a girl who is a freshman this year ( I’m a Junior myself) and lives in the new freshman dorms…and you would be surprised to see the number of kids that are actually leaving their suitcases unpacked long enough to hang around and support their Niners!

…it’s about time…so let’s keep it going.

[i]Originally posted by 49erDrummer[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 12:41 PM [b] I'm actually dating a girl who is a freshman this year ( I'm a Junior myself) and lives in the new freshman dorms...and you would be surprised to see the number of kids that are actually leaving their suitcases unpacked long enough to hang around and support their Niners!

[/b]

Music to my ears! At least the part about students staying on campus and supporting the Niners. Good luck with the girl! :smiley: