Alumni Golf Classic - Oct 8th

I just saw this posted on the Alumni website. I assume a mailing or email will go out soon. I’ve played in it since the beginning. It’s a great event…especially when Team-Lefty brings home the trophy. :49ers:

UNC Charlotte Alumni Association to Hold the Ninth Annual TIAA-CREF Alumni Golf Classic
When: 10/8/2007

[URL=http://www.unccharlottealumni.org/events/event_detail.asp?event_id=26]http://www.unccharlottealumni.org/events/event_detail.asp?event_id=26[/URL]

Date: Monday, October 8, 2007
Time: Registration 8:30 a.m.; Shotgun Start 10:00 a.m.
Where: Pine Island Country Club
1701 Stoneyridge Drive
Charlotte, NC

The Alumni Association will hold the ninth annual TIAA-CREF Alumni Golf Classic on Monday, October 8th at Pine Island Country Club. Chancellor Philip Dubois, head men’s basketball coach Bobby Lutz, and head women’s basketball coach Karen Aston will play in the tournament. All proceeds from the tournament go to the Alumni Association’s scholarship fund.

Check-in will begin at 8:30 a.m. the morning of the tournament, and a shotgun start at 10:00 a.m. will get the event officially underway. A light breakfast will be provided during check-in. Nelson’s of Carolina will be providing a meal immediately following the tournament.

If you would like to play in the TIAA-CREF Alumni Golf Classic, please fill out the registration form on our website or call the Alumni Association at (704) 687-7799. The tournament is $125 per player. Hole sponsorships can be purchased for $200. After registering online, the Alumni Association will contact you.

For more information on the golf tournament, contact the Alumni Association at (704) 687-7799, or visit our website at www.unccharlottealumni.org. For more information on Pine Island Country Club or to learn more about our sponsors, please visit www.pineislandcc.com, www.tiaa-cref.org or www.nelsonscarolina.com.

i hope the handicap system is more equitable this year. last year my team needed to shoot -22 gross to even get close to the net winners. i am sure there some fudging on the handicaps turned in. maybe they should use about 50% of the handicap.

What if you want to volunteer to work it?

It looks like this is beginning earlier in the day than it has in past years so make sure you plan accordingly. For those who have never participated in this, the money raised at this event is used to provide additional scholarships. It’s a great opportunity to score some birdies, socialize with your fellow Niners, and help raise scholarship money all at the same time.

[QUOTE=Chipper;255513]It looks like this is beginning earlier in the day than it has in past years so make sure you plan accordingly. For those who have never participated in this, the money raised at this event is used to provide additional scholarships. It’s a great opportunity to score some birdies, socialize with your fellow Niners, and help raise scholarship money all at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Oct 8th is Columbus Day so the bankers have the day off. Did I mention there will be lots of beer! :toast:

I’m in, anybody know what you have to do to get on the mailing list for these announcements? My friend received an e-mail about it earlier in the week but I’ve gotten nothing (and yes, I have updated my contact info on the alumni site).

Fun event, we’ll be there to defend our bronze trophy from last year.

CMack, contact Katie Suggs in the Alumni office, (704) 687-7788 or aksuggs@uncc.edu. She can check out your info.

HP, Are you and BDD coming down to help with this?

Of course Over40. BDD will take her usual position as being a fairway hazard and immovable object.

bump because it’s 5:45 am and I’m about to drive two hours to Charlotte to go to this event.

Fun event again this year. Team Lefty captured second place for the second straight year with a 49 net score. I thought the 49 was an automatic winner. :biggrin: We were 16 under gross. Winning team was Larry Griffin’s at 17 under with a 45 net. Larry played golf for Charlotte and family owns Pine Island where it was played. Some really low scores.

Coach Lutz and the Chancellor played. No speeches from either but both made their way around talking to everyone. Coach was upbeat and optimistic. Said guys are really working hard. I believe he said they’ll start practicing Friday.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;261236]Team Lefty captured second place for the second straight year with a 49 net score. I thought the 49 was an automatic winner. :biggrin: [/QUOTE]
You barely finished second. We had a 51 and would have scored even better had we not kept getting out of rythem because the team in front of us (which was Lefty’s team) was so SLOW. :biggrin:

They just gave you a slow golf cart, Over40.

We had a 25 on the back nine so it couldn’t be that slow. :biggrin: Sorry about that. We were definitely trying to get squeeze out everything we could. Glad coach was in front of us rather than behind. I think he played through 2 or 3 groups.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;261241]We had a 25 on the back nine so it couldn’t be that slow. :biggrin: Sorry about that. We were definitely trying to get squeeze out everything we could. Glad coach was in front of us rather than behind. I think he played through 2 or 3 groups.[/QUOTE]

I participated this year and enjoyed it again as usual.
Kinda surprised no one from the university spoke. Perfect opportunity to speak on the upcoming basketball season, football, ladies new coach etc.???
Less freebies than normal but the play moved faster this year.

Look forward to the next one.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;261242]
Kinda surprised no one from the university spoke.
[/QUOTE]
So was I. I thought maybe we would at least hear something from Phil.

BTW, unrelated… Excellent job of organizing this event once again by Nick.

Great event once again, especially once they got the beer cart tab figured out.

A little disappointed in the lack of shirt this year, but the cooler/tailgate set is pretty nice.