Anyone else noticing this trend?

[quote=ā€œChipper, post:17, topic:23034ā€][quote=ā€œConcordNiners, post:13, topic:23034ā€][Donā€™t read the comments on the Observers stories[/quote]I get the impression most of those critical comments are coming from those other than Niners. There are some readers that throw out cheap shot insults on every Niner story. I think some of them are State fans. Bless their heart.
[/quote]

which state?

I really like Hal.

Once I read Jay Bilasā€™ endorsement I was o.k. with it. I think heā€™s got a good basketball mind. To be honest, Iā€™ve never heard of the guy but what the hell do I know?

Thanks! :smiley:

I like this post.

[quote=ā€œX-49er, post:8, topic:23034ā€][quote=ā€œChisox17, post:1, topic:23034ā€]Ever since we announced the hiring of coach Major, Iā€™ve noticed a consistent trend:

People who are generally ignorant basketball fans, ie the Walmart ACC fans, or fans that only show up to watch the Niners when we play on national TV or against a ranked team, and basically just fans who donā€™t know their stuff and talk out of their ass, all seem to think the hiring of Alan Major was a BAD decision.

Now on the other hand, generally knowledgeable and intelligent fans, people who form their opinions based on facts and not kneejerk reactions, those that follow the game closely and really know their stuff, think the hiring of Alan Major was a very GOOD decision.

I just started to notice this yesterday, and was wondering if anyone else had picked up on it. I think it basically has to do with the ignorant group being too intellectually lazy to wrap their minds around the fact that it doesnā€™t matter that he hasnā€™t been a head coach before, bc thatā€™s all I hear from that group is bitching ab him not having been a head coach.[/quote]

Major is not a ā€œnameā€ coach. Most have never heard of him. I had not until he came out of the woodwork on our candidate list, and I follow college basketball pretty closely. None of the ā€œnameā€ re-tread coaches thrown out were worth hiring, but since they have HC experience thatā€™s all thatā€™s worth anything in their minds. We could not afford a Brownell, etc., or other head coach at a lower level school. Realistically, this is about as good as we could do, and thatā€™s in no way selling Coach Major short. He has to prove his worth at the head coaching level somewhere, and has proved to be a great assistant at a successful BCS school and has earned a shot here. I think itā€™s a good hire. I like what he had to say today, and from listening to him speak today my guess is that he interviewed great. As always, the proof will be in the Wā€™s. How nice a guy he is and his seemingly great character wonā€™t mean diddly on this board and at the games if this team does not come out of the gate strong. I donā€™t disagree with your original post, but the ā€œgenerally knowledgeableā€ fans will be on here calling for his ouster if we donā€™t play to their liking this season, after having called this a great hire. Letā€™s let the coach get to work and pass judgment later on some actual results. Go get 'em Coach Major!!![/quote]

This. 90% of the people on this board (myself included) almost certainly did not know who Alan Major was three weeks ago, and I think that is probably a conservative estimate.

From the outside looking in, it is a program who says they are looking to compete for NCAA bids on a regular basis who is hiring a guy with zero head coaching experience from another program. That doesnā€™t happen often. I completely understand the skepticism from the outside. Yes, a lot of idiots will blindly bash the hire without looking at Majorā€™s resume, but I can completely understand if some well-informed basketball fans are a little skeptical of the hire. (just to clarify, not skeptical of Major specifically, but more about hiring an unproven assistant in general)

For the record, I think Major is a great hire, but I think we are all wearing GTG here, if we take a step back and try to see it from an outsiders POV, I think we can see some of the question marks.

[quote=ā€œCMack124, post:26, topic:23034ā€]This. 90% of the people on this board (myself included) almost certainly did not know who Alan Major was three weeks ago, and I think that is probably a conservative estimate. [/quote]Agree. I also doubt a high percentage of Duke fans knew who Mike Krycheski was before Duke hired him. I had rather hire an unknown that wins instead of a known that loses.

I thought your trend that you noticed was that Coach Major likes to coach at schools that have a unique mascotā€¦ Boiler Makers, Salukis, Buckeyes, 49ersā€¦

No Duke assistant is going to take a non BCS school coaching job.

Long Beach State 49ers?