Anyone else noticing this trend?

Ever since we announced the hiring of coach Major, I’ve noticed a consistent trend:

People who are generally ignorant basketball fans, ie the Walmart ACC fans, or fans that only show up to watch the Niners when we play on national TV or against a ranked team, and basically just fans who don’t know their stuff and talk out of their ass, all seem to think the hiring of Alan Major was a BAD decision.

Now on the other hand, generally knowledgeable and intelligent fans, people who form their opinions based on facts and not kneejerk reactions, those that follow the game closely and really know their stuff, think the hiring of Alan Major was a very GOOD decision.

I just started to notice this yesterday, and was wondering if anyone else had picked up on it. I think it basically has to do with the ignorant group being too intellectually lazy to wrap their minds around the fact that it doesn’t matter that he hasn’t been a head coach before, bc that’s all I hear from that group is bitching ab him not having been a head coach.

I noticed the same thing. I haven’t heard sports radio since this morning where Mack was in favor of Major and dumb-founded by Wake.

The walmart-ACC folks would have been really impressed by Buzz, Lieto, Odom and any other ACC reject coach.

Did you guys expect anything different?

I expect a disturber article on front page about how . . . .Charlotte messed themselves up by not hiring an ACC reject. ;D

I think we know where ninerdad falls in this continuum.

We probably have about 3 seasons until Major is mentioned in connection with the UNCCH job.

I have noticed it. I have also noticed since the firing that the lurkers and the know-nothings have been coming out of the waterworks telling us what’s good for us.

I was not surprised, and I didn’t care (until people on here started to freak out way early).

Now we have a coach, and they can go back to their holes.

[quote=“Chisox17, post:1, topic:23034”]Ever since we announced the hiring of coach Major, I’ve noticed a consistent trend:

People who are generally ignorant basketball fans, ie the Walmart ACC fans, or fans that only show up to watch the Niners when we play on national TV or against a ranked team, and basically just fans who don’t know their stuff and talk out of their ass, all seem to think the hiring of Alan Major was a BAD decision.

Now on the other hand, generally knowledgeable and intelligent fans, people who form their opinions based on facts and not kneejerk reactions, those that follow the game closely and really know their stuff, think the hiring of Alan Major was a very GOOD decision.

I just started to notice this yesterday, and was wondering if anyone else had picked up on it. I think it basically has to do with the ignorant group being too intellectually lazy to wrap their minds around the fact that it doesn’t matter that he hasn’t been a head coach before, bc that’s all I hear from that group is bitching ab him not having been a head coach.[/quote]

Major is not a “name” coach. Most have never heard of him. I had not until he came out of the woodwork on our candidate list, and I follow college basketball pretty closely. None of the “name” re-tread coaches thrown out were worth hiring, but since they have HC experience that’s all that’s worth anything in their minds. We could not afford a Brownell, etc., or other head coach at a lower level school. Realistically, this is about as good as we could do, and that’s in no way selling Coach Major short. He has to prove his worth at the head coaching level somewhere, and has proved to be a great assistant at a successful BCS school and has earned a shot here. I think it’s a good hire. I like what he had to say today, and from listening to him speak today my guess is that he interviewed great. As always, the proof will be in the W’s. How nice a guy he is and his seemingly great character won’t mean diddly on this board and at the games if this team does not come out of the gate strong. I don’t disagree with your original post, but the “generally knowledgeable” fans will be on here calling for his ouster if we don’t play to their liking this season, after having called this a great hire. Let’s let the coach get to work and pass judgment later on some actual results. Go get 'em Coach Major!!!

Maybe because they are afraid of what’s coming.

I think he seems like a great hire. I just wonder what set him apart, I mean why did he automatically make the final four list? Why did they go to watch his 1st round games and not Duke to see their assistants. I certainly like the decision, I just think it would be cool to have insight into the whole process. Lots of people that seem pretty ‘intelligent’ on basketball stuff don’t know who Coach Major is, but they’re gonna get to know him in a few years when he has us kicking butt and taking names.

Haven’t seen many people hating on Major, is there a different vibe outside of NNN?

Oh God yes. Noticing it a lot on Facebook

Though I will say, the supporters vastly outnumber the haters as far as I’ve seen.

Don’t read the comments on the Observers stories

Don’t read the comments on the Observers stories
[/quote]

haha yeah definitely that too

[quote=“Jim Utter, post:9, topic:23034”]Maybe because they are afraid of what’s coming.[/quote]Why don’t you tell us what’s coming that they’re afraid of.

He means us winning and being a threat.

(Sorry if you were being facetious lol.)

[quote=“ConcordNiners, post:13, topic:23034”][Don’t read the comments on the Observers stories[/quote]I get the impression most of those critical comments are coming from those other than Niners. There are some readers that throw out cheap shot insults on every Niner story. I think some of them are State fans. Bless their heart.

A perfect example of this can be found on my facebook profile. Just look for my post about Welcoming Coach Major and you’ll see what I am talking about.

That idiot said he’d rather get an asst. from UCLA lolol…

Thanks 49or bust