Anyone here Homebrew?

I’ve been homebrewing for several months now, but have yet to join any Charlotte-based clubs for it. Does anyone else on Niner Nation homebrew or have homebrewing experience?

I’d love to have a regular homebrew swap with some fellow Niners.

I’ve got currently available:

• Generic Belgian Wit
  • Generic Pale Ale
  • Chocolate Coffee Stout

Bubbling Away as we speak:

• Bog Brown Ale

Yea, there are a few Hebrews on here

I home make wine. Been doing that for a year now. My first batch came out really good and I’ve got two more going.

Beer is next on my list. I haven’t had the money to throw at the ingredients yet, and I don’t have any bottles saved up.

Have done a lot of homebrew ----- but haven’t done it in a while.

My old house was set up very well for homebrewing. My new house is larger, but the layout is not quite the same. Recent job change took away much of my free time. Plus, don’t know if you have kids around, but I end up spending a lot of my limited free time with them.

Good thing, I guess, is they are real close to the age where they want nuttin’ to do with their old man…so maybe there will be some opportunities on the horizon.

Curious to know more about your Bog Brown Ale. (just a clever name or is there something unique in it?)

I used to brew a Maple Brown Ale – that was made with Maple syrup. Of course, fermenting all of that sugar made for a healthy alcohol content. Was a very heavy beer, but when I lived in the midwest, it was great in October-December.

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;351862]I don’t have any bottles saved up.[/QUOTE]

just go buy the bottles. They are not that expensive.

rest of the ingrediants can be expensive.

Have done a lot of homebrew ----- but haven't done it in a while.

My old house was set up very well for homebrewing. My new house is larger, but the layout is not quite the same. Recent job change took away much of my free time. Plus, don’t know if you have kids around, but I end up spending a lot of my limited free time with them.

Good thing, I guess, is they are real close to the age where they want nuttin’ to do with their old man…so maybe there will be some opportunities on the horizon.

Curious to know more about your Bog Brown Ale. (just a clever name or is there something unique in it?)

I used to brew a Maple Brown Ale – that was made with Maple syrup. Of course, fermenting all of that sugar made for a healthy alcohol content. Was a very heavy beer, but when I lived in the midwest, it was great in October-December.

Want to let me have your old equipment for a low low price?

[QUOTE=kevinharbin;351869]Want to let me have your old equipment for a low low price?[/QUOTE]

Nice try. :smile:

Not ready to let go of that part of my younger days.

The only old equipment I may be willing to part with is some assorted equipment from coaching rec-league baseball…which is where some of other discretionary time went in recent years.

I do. Havent made anything of note yet. Me and dad play around with recipes.

It’s perfectly socially acceptable to home brew your own alcohol-based drugs, however home-brewing other drugs means you’re a federal criminal.

It's perfectly socially acceptable to home brew your own alcohol-based drugs, however home-brewing other drugs means you're a federal criminal.

Thats probably because those ‘other drugs’ are illegal.

[QUOTE=marcushe;351894]It’s perfectly socially acceptable to home brew your own alcohol-based drugs, however home-brewing other drugs means you’re a federal criminal.[/QUOTE]

Ohhhkay…and let’s leave it at that. Please don’t hijack my thread with a diatribe about the war on drugs. Start a new thread for that.

I’m going into my second year home brewing. Last beer I did was a honey ale which turned out great. Right now I have an Irish red in the bottle that will be ready sometime about Halloween.

I’m amazed at how many people brew their own beer. We should get all these minds together and make a 49er themed brew. Maybe name some beer after 49er players and coaches!

LUTZ LAGER
BIG PHIL STOUT
WATKINS WEIZEN

the possibilities are endless…

I’m going to try and get into this after i get my own place, so I’ll be looking for tips and tricks!

I was actually going to start a thread like this a few weeks ago and forgot.

I got into homebrewing this summer, and so far have made:

Vienna Lager
Scotch Strong Ale
Johannesburg Riesling

I don’t have anything new fermenting yet, but I’m probably going to do a baltic porter next. I’m not in any brewing groups yet either, but if you go to some meetings let me know and I’ll try to tag along. W

e should have a NN.n homebrew contest. :slight_smile:

wow! I was talking about this with a friend like 2 days ago - I’ve decided that making my own brew is going to be my project over winter break this year! anyone have any advice on getting started? I’d like to keep this deal as cost efficient as possible…

[QUOTE=darrenmoorehead;352094][I]What Darrenmoorehead said[/I][/QUOTE]

I’ll be sending you a PM soon. :smiley:

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc;352104]wow! I was talking about this with a friend like 2 days ago - I’ve decided that making my own brew is going to be my project over winter break this year! anyone have any advice on getting started? I’d like to keep this deal as cost efficient as possible…[/QUOTE]

Get started early. It takes longer than winter break. And start saving all the pry-top bottles you can find. For the rest of your life.

These are not written in stone, but they’re the guidelines I use:

• A few hours on brew day
  • 2 to 5 weeks in primary and secondary fermentation chambers
  • A couple hours on bottling day. (assuming you don’t keg)
  • Minimum 3 weeks aging/carbonating in the bottle (taste test at 2 weeks :biggrin:)
  • ?
  • profit!

If you live in Charlotte, you can brew it at my house using my equipment which would save you lots of money if you don’t want to own it yet.

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;351865]

I used to brew a Maple Brown Ale – that was made with Maple syrup. Of course, fermenting all of that sugar made for a healthy alcohol content. Was a very heavy beer, but when I lived in the midwest, it was great in October-December.[/QUOTE]

I massacred the actual name. It was [URL=http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/old-bog-road-brown-ale-pm-extract-w-grain-61591/#post910601]Old Bog Road (American) Brown Ale[/URL]. A recipe created by one of the more prominent members of a homebrew forum I read regularly. It’s making my brew cave smell fantastic. Not as good as the chocolate coffee stout, but still good.

Were you an all grain brewer or did you stick to extract? I don’t have the time, money or intensity to move to AG (yet).

[QUOTE=JoeSixPack;351877]Nice try. :smile:

Not ready to let go of that part of my younger days.
[/QUOTE]

Don’t. One of my best friends’ dad started homebrewing pretty heavily right as we finished high school, in his mid-40’s. After we had all grown up I guess, and us kids stopped overrunning his house constantly, he found he had a little bit of time for himself.

Could be that your best brewing’s still ahead of ya.

Fourth of July with Lucy in Sky
I remember pine trees and the coat of many colors
I was nineteen
I’d do anything
**** like that now scares me but I’d like to do it again
It was Independence day
I’ve seen the other side and I say
I’ve been insane
And I won’t ever be the same

oh… wait…