App State Athletics Furloughs entire department

If football doesnt happen or at half capacity many schools will be hurt, but especially schools that depend heavily on that football gate. I read where a big chunk of Apps attendance is single game tickets not season ticket holders. If that is the case that is even more pressure on them.

I know we give them hell and at some level them struggling works in our favor, but I do hate this for them.

App has a few Saturday games that have big gates for history. They nearly sell-out the stadium for parentā€™s weekend, the game in late Oct is a black Sat which is big as well. When you win and have a few dates that bring fans to the area for the games it is big for the gate. I do not think we push parentā€™s weekend as a way to fill up our stadium.

I was in Blowing Rock this weekend and ran into an older guy with App shirt on as a booster and we talked about being in the same conference. He told me that it was stupid for us not to be in the same conference and that travel was killing them with trips to Texas, Arkansas, and LA. They have to drive to Hickory, Winston, or Bristol to fly to these places which is over a hour to each airport.

clt hopes you tipped the appy well.

1 Like

If App gets into serious trouble we canā€™t be that far behind. We play in a similar conference with similar financials. Any failures for our G5 rivals is a warning sign for us all. I wish them only the best off the field.

2 Likes

The major difference appears to be our large cash reserve fund and that they rely heavily on a large football gate. If students fees flow we are fine, if not we are in trouble.

2 Likes

And East Carolina says hi. If they arenā€™t drawing legit 40 plus for football, they are losing multiple millions.
They also are in the Chapel hill level of fudging attendance.

2 Likes