App State Athletics Furloughs entire department

This is sad news. Fingers crossed our AD can hold it together.

Anyone else heard about this?

From the App State Chancellor weekly update that came out today.

We are working each day to manage the significant ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic. Its financial impact on our campus has hit our receipt-supported areas the hardest. Athletics in particular, has faced a significant budget shortfall, which is projected to be at least $5 million as a result of this pandemic. This week we took an extremely difficult step, informing Athletics staff of mandatory furloughs that will impact every full-time employee of the department, a total of 106 employees. By implementing furloughs, it is our goal to protect as many jobs as possible as we navigate the financial consequences of this pandemic. The furlough plan will reduce the hours worked by most Athletics employees over a 90-day period. A smaller number of employees will be on continuous furloughs, but for shorter periods of time. All employees will retain health insurance and other employee benefits. Athletics has implemented operating budget cuts, sport reductions and changes to scheduling and travel strategies. We are hopeful this will be the last step we need to take to address their significant financial challenges.

That’s absolutely not good

That’s really tough. Hope they’re able to figure it out.

I have a healthy dislike for Appy, but there is nothing good about this. Good luck Mountaineers.

1 Like

clt feels bad for the appys…maybe they should not have moved up to FBS so quickly?

1 Like

I see a canary in the coal mine here and I don’t like it.

On one side this makes me laugh. They have a crappy market and are a one trick pony with football. This climate will help separate those with the capability to survive and move up in the G5 level and above. With that said, this could still impact us and I hate seeing athletes and staff impacted at a school where I had friends graduate and attend.

1 Like

Yeah this is just a bad sign of what could be coming. If we don’t have football this coming season we could very well end up in the same situation.

Not the entire dept fellas. Some permanent most reduced hours and salary reductions. Still…

“This week we took an extremely difficult step, informing Athletics staff of mandatory furloughs that will impact every full-time employee of the department, a total of 106 employees.”

Yikes, might be some tough decisions for them going forward if they see reduced capacity crowds for this football season. I would imagine the football gate is extremely important to them at this point.

Just when I get okay with the idea of being in a conference with Appy, they turn the lights off and put a Going Out of Business sign in the window. :chart_with_downwards_trend:

I’m worried that we are even going to have a season. I’m not feeling confident.

Me neither.

The thing that should worry App fans…is the largest money making sport is the sport they are at their all time best as of right now. If they are at their zenith in the highest revenue sport they have…and they are still struggling with $$…that’s not good.

We all know that the current financial landscape of AMATEUR college sports is ridiculous, but as long as the big boys can weather this situation the landscape will not change.

clt says this all started when the 2 soccer balls were lost. :frowning:

I talked to some folks in the AD last week they are confident that the season will happen. Not all that confident about crowds.

I mean that isnt good for anyone, but have to imagine it really hurts the appys they depend on that gate more than we do since well our gate has been weak anyway.

Dammit, now they will never be able to afford an ice machine! :angry:

Appy may be in even more trouble than it appeared. Here are some numbers.

“The $5-million puzzle continues for Appalachian State athletics.”

“In an effort to trim its yearly budget of around $25 million by roughly 20% to combat COVID-19 losses, App State first cut three men’s sports: indoor track and field, soccer and tennis.”

Furloughs act as next phase for App State athletics' money-saving measures

“When Appalachian State cut three of its sponsored sports at the end of May, it did so to save the athletics department roughly $1 million.”

Cuts like those App State made can save athletics money but also take profit away from university

In furloughing of the Athletic Dept, “the hope is that it will save the athletics department approximately $535,000, according to App State chief communications office Megan Hayes.”

Furloughs act as next phase for App State athletics' money-saving measures

So they need to save $5 million, and it appears they have gotten to just over $1.5 million. If football doesn’t happen, or stadiums can only be 50% full, where does this leave them as this is their only revenue sport.