Apple render farm in NC

http://www.governor.state.nc.us/NewsItems/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?newsItemid=447

Wow, at least FIFTY jobs!!! (does anyone really believe that landscaping and air conditioning repairs will account for 250 other jobs)?

I sure am glad NC gives these tax breaks solely to starving companies like Apple. They really need it!!! (Apple has over 25 BILLION dollars cash on hand).

feel free to move this thread to politics…

If we didn’t give them the break, someone else would.

[QUOTE=eason49;411937]If we didn’t give them the break, someone else would.[/QUOTE]

if everyone else was jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you?

if everyone else was jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you?
Do you think NC will lose money and jobs from this? If not, even if it isn't the best deal, it's still profitable.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;411941]if everyone else was jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you?[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t make sense. If anything, we were jumping off before everyone else did.:lol:

I guess you guys don’t know the whole story here. This is rumored to be located in the Catawba Valley somewhere. So we will have Apple & Google within the area. 15.7% unemployement in the Hickory metro area. They are trying establish the area with a strong IT presence just like Charlotte is trying to bring energy jobs to their region. This area has been crippled since all the funiture/textile manufacturing jobs went to China and needs a boost. It amazes me people btch when jobs are lost and btch when they are created.

I guess you guys don't know the whole story here. This is rumored to be located in the Catawba Valley somewhere. So we will have Apple & Google within the area. 15.7% unemployement in the Hickory metro area. They are trying establish the area with a strong IT presence just like Charlotte is trying to bring energy jobs to their region. This area has been crippled since all the funiture/textile manufacturing jobs went to China and needs a boost. It amazes me people b*tch when jobs are lost and b*tch when they are created.

people just like to bitch.

I don’t have a problem with this move. There is nothing wrong with trying to lure new industry to an area that is depressed.

I think people are just bitching because the amount of full time jobs this will create doesn’t justify the amount of incentives Apple got. If it leads to more tech jobs and an Apple expansion then it was undoubtedly a good move. If not, then it will be years before tax revenue from this facility and its employees break even.

What about big biz. already here? What about small & medium biz. already here? Is it fair to them? Is the # of jobs ever worth what’s given out? How often do these companies even pay out?
How is this even Const. for states, counties, & cities to get biz. to come to them over somewhere else in the country. That’s interfering w/ INTER-state commerce, not INTRA-state, thus it’s a fed. issue.

I guess you guys don't know the whole story here. This is rumored to be located in the Catawba Valley somewhere. So we will have Apple & Google within the area. 15.7% unemployement in the Hickory metro area. They are trying establish the area with a strong IT presence just like Charlotte is trying to bring energy jobs to their region. This area has been crippled since all the funiture/textile manufacturing jobs went to China and needs a boost. It amazes me people b*tch when jobs are lost and b*tch when they are created.

I think it is largely b/c most do not see Apple hiring from the pool of 15.7% you mentioned. I doubt there are very many IT people, let alone with an Apple/Mac background.

I’m not sure what type of facility this is honestly, but most of the jobs Google hired for did not require a tech background. There, they are not doing any type of programming or coding, its simply maintaining servers.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;412067]I think it is largely b/c most do not see Apple hiring from the pool of 15.7% you mentioned. I doubt there are very many IT people, let alone with an Apple/Mac background.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. What’s the point of having the IT “background” if there were none of those jobs before? The prospect of jobs coming to an area will encourage some people to strive for a better education or “background”.

The state isn’t giving money to these companies they are providing tax breaks to entice them to build their server farm here instead of somewhere else. A server farm could potentially be built almost anywhere that has an adequate power grid so obviously the corporation will build it in a place that offers the best value. If the incentive isn’t offered the companies will not move here and how many jobs or how much tax income will a vacant lot generate?

I think it is largely b/c most do not see Apple hiring from the pool of 15.7% you mentioned. I doubt there are very many IT people, let alone with an Apple/Mac background.

Data Center jobs are not exactly high tech. Really, just supervise, remediate, and contact supervisor if problem. Probably cheap land, labor and tax incentives are the reason to come.

Data Centers are not the greatest places to have. Every year, technology gets better so that less and less people are needed to supervise more and more server farms.

if tax incentives are so great, why aren’t they offered across the board? it’s preferential treatment to rich sexy companies that make politicians look good. No one cares if the politicians lower taxes for all the mom & pops, even though they collectively hire WAY more people than google, dell, apple, etc.