Astros to AL West, playoff expansion

Now if they would get rid of the DH and Bud Selig as well!

SI.com: Astros moving to AL, playoffs expanding

'Stros are getting hosed… Make the Brewers move back… Or Colorado. Houston has far more NL history.

creates what could be nice AL West rivalry with the Rangers.

If this means the end of the interleague weeks, then I am all for this. If they have constant interleague play and still keep the league-wide weeks during the season, I say boo!

Also, I haven’t read the format of the new playoffs, is this a short best-of-3 or 1-game playoff between the wild cards or are they adding an extra best of 5? Seems odd that the year after making a big deal about ending the World Series earlier, they add an extra round of playoffs.

BS move by Selig to force the Astros to the AL West. If Bud had any onions he would have made the Royals join the AL West a long time ago and we would not even discussing realignment now. Instead, he moved his former team to the NL, and now forces the Astros to the AL.

The extra Wild Card game is gimmickie. If you want the extra team in, at least make it a 3-game series between the Wild Card teams. The regular season should have been shortened by 6 games also if this had been done right. And yes, the DH needs to be done away with once and for all at all levels of baseball.

With a no-nuts Commisioner, though, these are the kind of moves, or lacktherof, we have come to expect.

If this means the end of the interleague weeks, then I am all for this. If they have constant interleague play and still keep the league-wide weeks during the season, I say boo!

The word is that there will be interleague play throughout the season. If they are going to do interleague play, then I want to see a series against each of the teams in the other league each season. Then the schedule is balanced.

Also, I haven't read the format of the new playoffs, is this a short best-of-3 or 1-game playoff between the wild cards or are they adding an extra best of 5? Seems odd that the year after making a big deal about ending the World Series earlier, they add an extra round of playoffs.

It’s a single-game playoff it appears. Very gimmickie.

So there will always have to be an interleague series going on? There are now 15 teams in the AL and 15 teams in the NL.

I heard on TV that interleague would be mixed throughout the entire season.

The Astros' move to the American League in 2013 will make Interleague Play a yearlong affair.

Major League Baseball Commissioner Allan H. “Bud” Selig on Thursday formally announced the Astros’ move, a shift that will leave each league with three five-team divisions and necessitate at least one AL vs. National League match-up on days that every team is active. Those include Opening Day, the final day of the season and Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays all season. Some have dubbed it perpetual Interleague Play,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111117&content_id=25994986&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Yes, with an odd number of teams there would have to be or one team would be idle 3-4 days each week.

Should create a nice rivalry between the Astros and Rangers.

As a Seattle M’s fan I enjoyed the 4 team AL West. However, I got family in Houston so I’ll be sure to visit when the M’s come to town.

Yea, they have to have constant interleague games from start to finish. I’m okay with that (although there is a lot of potential to ruin some last-day drama when a team in the playoff race has an interleague game).

My hope is that by going to the season-long interleague play, they ditch the weeks/weekends where the entire league plays interleague. The novelty there has worn off and it makes for some seriously unbalanced schedules.