Athletic dept. name change press release

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Feb 22 2005, 03:36 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Feb 22 2005, 03:36 PM)

To be honestā€¦I donā€™t understand what all the fuss is about either. Call us UNCC, Charlotte, 49ers, what everā€¦just as long as you donā€™t follow it with sucks!!! :smiley:

[b]Appreciate the shout out to my dad. He's at the Greensboro News & Record now. Krystion Obie on the women's team is also from High Point, so I guess that's helped the HP paper stay interested.[/b]
A fine man he is too!!!
[b]His son also plays for the baseball team and his brother was the SID here when we went to the Final 4.[/b]
And that SID is the main reason I came to school at UNCC. DT did one heck of a selling job on me. I was planning on attending Cow College but once I set foot in his office, I never mailed in the application to Raleigh.
[b]Terry's a nice guy and all, but I don't think I like his reasoning. I should have a talk with him the next time I am home.[/b]
I encourage you to have this discussion, but please leave the tights and cape at home. :blink:
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 08:34 PM [b] I encourage you to have this discussion, but please leave the tights and cape at home. :blink: [/b]
:lol:

Just thinking here, what does the NCAA use when they post the team names in statistical rankings? CHARLOTTE!

I just donā€™t understand the reasoning that people will be confused if ā€˜Charlotteā€™ is used instead of ā€˜UNC Charlotte,ā€™ ā€˜UNC-Charlotte,ā€™ ā€˜NC-Charlotte,ā€™ or whatever else is currently used throughout the state and the country. To me, the headline is the only section that could possibly be confusing, and even that only seems like it would be confusing if it were on the front page, where all sports are covered. If itā€™s on the College Basketball page, I doubt many people will think that it was the Bobcats. Also, most of the teams that the Niners have played this season are unlikely to be confused with NBA teams. Houston, Memphis, and Indiana are the only teams Charlotte has played this year that have NBA teams that use the same geographic regions for their team names. And only UABā€™s team, the Blazers, could have their nickname confused with an NBA team.

This year, that makes four teams that could potentially sound like NBA matchups. However, I think most people would figure it out when they saw that Houston was the Cougars, not the Rockets, Memphis was the Tigers, not the Grizzlies, Indiana was the Hoosiers, not the Pacers, and the blazers were from UAB, not Portland. People are sometimes smarter than they get credit for. I especially donā€™t see how it could be confusing if things such as ā€œsenior Eddie Basden,ā€ ā€œjunior Curtis Withers,ā€ or the like are used. Plus, three of the four games listed above are conference games, with Indiana being the only exception. If Conference USA were mentioned in the articles, as it should be, I just donā€™t see where the confusion would come from.

Like I said, the only instance where I can really see some sort of confusion is if the word ā€˜Charlotteā€™ is used in the headline on the front page. Then I could see it being slightly confusing. But that problem seems like it could be solved by adding ā€˜49ersā€™ into the headline, or simply substituting ā€˜49ersā€™ for ā€˜Charlotte.ā€™ People could think it was the football team, but as soon as they saw a picture or read the first sentence, theyā€™d know it was about basketball. Same goes for the confusion with the Bobcats. As soon as people read a little bit of the article, theyā€™d realize itā€™s not about the Bobcats. If they wanted to keep reading, they could. If they only cared to read about the San Francisco 49ers or the Charlotte Bobcats, then all they have to do is stop reading the article as soon as they realize itā€™s about another team. I donā€™t know, maybe Iā€™m just giving people too much credit, but I really just donā€™t see how it could be that confusing to anyone.

I remember when the Athletic Dept. was preparing for this. They asked my fraternity for help and we set up a petition at the Belk Tower to change the name of the school. It made the news and got a lot of attention. It was after that semester that the press release was issued. What a great move by the department. People are actually referring to us as Charlotte now and I donā€™t have to tell people I went to UNCC when they ask. Now when I respond ā€œI went to Charlotteā€ they know what Iā€™m talking about.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 07:34 PM [b] I encourage you to have this discussion, but please leave the tights and cape at home. :blink: [/b]
I think that was part of the reason he hired me in the first place.

ALl the guys in the Sports Department of the WSJ are nice guys, and they care more about local HS, WSSU and WFU than they do any other school, ACC or otherwise. I never got to meet Lenox Rawlings, but I understand that he can be a bit of an ACC homer. At least they actually have an ACC team in the same city.