Athletic dept. name change press release

Can someone provide a link to the press release/news story from a few years back when the athletic dept. changed their logo and dropped the UNC? I need to send it to the Greensboro News & Record. They refuse to call the team Charlotte (of course, they have no qualms about calling the tarholes Carolina).

Thanks

Sideshow, not sure it would make any difference. Take the Charlotte Observer ā€“ they refer to UAB as Alabama-Birmingham, TCU as Texas Christian, and Southern Miss as Southern Missisissippi. Heck, even Saint Louis is referred to as St. Louis by the hometown Post-Dispatch!

In case Run didnā€™t find it first.

Simply Charlotte press release - Aug 23, 2000

SID press releases

Yep Lefty, Iā€™ve got it bookmarked too. Iā€™m sent it out on far too many occasions, even twice this season.

Thanks, guys

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 09:31 AM [b]Sideshow, not sure it would make any difference. Take the Charlotte Observer -- they refer to UAB as Alabama-Birmingham, TCU as Texas Christian, and Southern Miss as Southern Missisissippi. Heck, even Saint Louis is referred to as St. Louis by the hometown Post-Dispatch![/b]
I see your point, but I think Charlotte is more descriptive about us than those names are of their respective teams. An uneducated sports fan should know that Charlotte means some school in Charlotte, NC (Especially uneducated fans in Greensboro/Triad, NC).

Should uneducated fans really know what TCU and UAB stand for? Southern Miss can be confused as Missouri. As for Saint Louis, I think they should be called Saint Louis in every paper. It is the same syllables as SLU and it says ā€œSaint Louisā€ on the front of their uniform.

Who should know these schools abbreviations or care anyway? They arenā€™t ranked. B) I agree with sideshow that I think Greensboro Daily N&R needs to get their act together and quit being tools.

Does anyone have that buttholeā€™s response to ā€œjust Charlotteā€

Someone should know what I mean.

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 10:26 AM [b] Should uneducated fans really know what TCU and UAB stand for? Southern Miss can be confused as Missouri. [/b]
Never figured that institution we're sending our soon-to-be 18 year old daughter to this fall -- Ole Miss -- could be miscontrued to be Ole Missouri! :D

I just passed on an e-mail to the Winston-Salem Journal asking them to change and I inserted the link.

Newspapers follow Associated Press guidelines. If you want it to change, get the AP to change. Until that happens, they wonā€™t do anything differently.

AP lists the 49ers as Charlotte, as does ESPN, CNN, etc. The High Point newspaper immediately took the change and always uses ā€œCharlotte.ā€

Of course, it didnā€™t help that there was a player from High Point by the name of James Zimmerman on the team and a caring, interested (and informed) Assistant Editor who has a son in the band.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er @Posted on Feb 22 2005[/i]@ 12:25 PM [b]AP lists the 49ers as Charlotte, as does ESPN, CNN, etc. The High Point newspaper immediately took the change and always uses "Charlotte."[/b]
CNN Headline News refers to us as "NC Charlotte." I sent them an e-mail a while back and explained to them that it should be "Charlotte." I guess it's time to send them another one.

Hereā€™s the letter I got from the Winston-Salem Journal in response to my e-mail:

[i]Mr. Winfrey

This is a bone of contention, I know, with UNCC/Charlotte fans.
The UNCC folks (and that is still the name of the school ā€“ if youā€™ll
listen to the halftime promotion for the school, the voice-over refers
to it as University of North Carolina at Charlotte)went to "Charlotte"
as a marketing tool for its athletics program only, because of the
perception, maybe accurate, that the school was being confused with UNC
Chapel Hill by the NATIONAL media.
I understand that, but I also know that OUR readership was not confused
on that issue. And we had the Charlotte Hornets, to whom we frequently
referred to in headlines and stories as Charlotte. So we decided that
it was best for us to continue referring to the 49ers as UNCC. When the
Hornets left, we used Charlotte for a year or so, but now the Bobcats
are operational, soā€¦
By way of comparison, we refer to UNC Chapel Hill as ā€œCarolinaā€ quite
frequently, so you will rarely see us use that word in reference to the
Panthers in a headline or caption and only on first reference in a
story (at least, thatā€™s the directive.)
Our use of UNCC is by no means a sign of disrespect.
I have even talked to my son-in-law, a UNCC grad, and he says he
doesnā€™t understand what all the fuss is about.
This is by way of explanation and not meant to be persuasive. Itā€™s just
our thinking on the subject.

Thanks for your letter.

Terry Oberle
Sports Editor[/i]

Thatā€™s stupid. So they canā€™t call the 49ers Charlotte because of the Bobcats. But they can call the Tarholes ā€˜Carolinaā€™, even though the Panthers also go by Carolina.

Stupid double standard retarded bile. Gosh I hate UNC CH

Terryā€™s a nice guy and all, but I donā€™t think I like his reasoning. I should have a talk with him the next time I am home.

So basically it doesnā€™t matter to them that ā€œCharlotteā€ is the official school sponsored name of the athletic program. They are going to do it their way or no way. I wonder if they still call Istanbul Constantinople?? And how many here will bet that his son in law has ever even been to a game?

clt thinks that repsonse is a load of poo. does clt even need to guess where he went to school? and who cares about his son in law?

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 01:25 PM [b] The High Point newspaper immediately took the change and always uses "Charlotte."

Of course, it didnā€™t help that there was a player from High Point by the name of James Zimmerman on the team and a caring, interested (and informed) Assistant Editor who has a son in the band. [/b]

Appreciate the shout out to my dad. Heā€™s and the Greensboro News & Record now. Krystion Obie on the womenā€™s team is also from High Point, so I guess thatā€™s helped the HP paper stay interested.

[b]I just passed on an e-mail to the Winston-Salem Journal asking them to change and I inserted the link.[/b]

The general manager of the Journal is a Charlotte grad. His son also plays for the baseball team and his brother was the SID here when we went to the Final 4.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Feb 22 2005, 01:51 PM [b] Terry's a nice guy and all, but I don't think I like his reasoning. I should have a talk with him the next time I am home. [/b]
Oh, I'm sure that will do the trick. :rolleyes: