Atlantic 10 in the News

Still a lot going on, even in the offseason…

Charlotte

[b]Charlotte Latin's Charles Dewhurst has received scholarship offers from Charlotte and South Carolina, coach Jerry Faulkner said. Dewhurst, a 6-foot-5 junior, averaged 20.6 points and 9.4 rebounds.[/b]
Charlotte.com: [url=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/high_school/11458608.htm]Prep Sports[/url]

Dayton

[b]Brian Gregory didn't mince words:

“I’ve got a great job right now and I’m excited about what we’re building. Before the DePaul talk goes any farther, I want to make it clear. I’m where I want to be.”

He was talking about the University of Dayton — where he’s been the head basketball coach the past two seasons — and not so much about Saturday’s recruiting trip to Fayetteville, Ark., where he’d spent the entire day in a gym watching one game after another at an AAU tournament.[/b]

Link to entire story: Gregory says he’s staying [NOTE: Dayton Daily News requires site registration]

Duquesne

Dukes add a guard to their 2005 class

UMass

Ford finding his groove in Amherst

Life long-range guy

Minutemen to try forward thinking

Point guard Lowe signs with UMass [NOTE: Lowe had been a Niner recruiting target]

Report: Ford owes money to old school

Richmond

[b]MERRITT STATUS: Guard Daon Merritt may have played his final game for the Spiders.

Merritt, a sophomore, was charged with assaulting a 20-year-old woman during an on-campus incident Wednesday night. He was arraigned Friday in Richmond General District court on a charge of assault and battery. UR suspended Merritt indefinitely from the basketball program, and coach Jerry Wainwright said he won’t comment on the matter until it is resolved. Merritt remains enrolled at UR.[/b]

Link to entire story: UR BASKETBALL NOTES [NOTE: Richmond Times-Dispatch may require site registration]

[b]Richmond coach Jerry Wainwright also was on his school's campus Wednesday, yet his name has emerged as another possibility to fill the DePaul vacancy. A school official said Wednesday that, to his knowledge, DePaul has not contacted Wainwright, but his profile makes him a natural candidate.

He is a Berwyn native who coached at East Leyden and Highland Park in the late 1970s and early 1980s, which makes him familiar with the area. He is 58, which means he would be virtually certain to stay to the end of his career and not scurry off after three years.[/b]

Link to entire story: Wainwright may fill DePaul’s bill [NOTE: ChicagoSports.com may require site registration]

St. Bonaventure

Bona’s Relph is suspended

Bona signs guard

Fired basketball coach settles suit against St. Bonaventure

Saint Joseph’s

Hawks’ Jones applies for NBA draft [NOTE: no news here other than Jones makes it official]

Saint Louis

Clarke will transfer; playing time is issue

Xavier

Muskies land one recruit Sunday: Miles commits for class of '07

St. Xavier’s Wolf signs to play with Muskies

Two Virginia players visit XU [NOTE: mentions Niner target Duke Crews]

Wolf officially signs with Xavier

GO NINERS! GO A-10!

Any info avaliable on this Dewhurst guy? I’m interested!

[i]Originally posted by HappyCamper49[/i]@Apr 22 2005, 02:01 PM [b] Any info avaliable on this Dewhurst guy? I'm interested! [/b]
On the recruiting forum:

Charles Dewhurst

Just researched the A 10 site and realized that for the first time in our D-1 history, we will be the ONLY school/team in our conference with green as their primary school color.
It is a Jesuit world in the A 10.
Three (3!) schools are in Philly (yuk).
(It IS a sloooooow off-season.)

Not official yet, but looks like UMass might be getting a steal in this impending signee:

Top Kentucky senior to join UMass

[b]''Saihou (Jassey) is a big-kept secret because he didn't play ball this year. He can play on the wing and he can also go inside,'' Hicks said. ''Kentucky is a really good basketball state and he's the best player in the state of Kentucky as a senior. [b]He's got a 41-inch vertical jump. He has an unbelievable body. He's very muscular and strong. He can jump off two feet and touch his head on the side of the rim.[/b] I've never seen anybody do that.''[/b]
In spite of the fact that Jassey didn't play ball this year due to state transfer rules (he played for Montrose Christian of Maryland as a junior), he was still selected to play in the prestigious Kentucky-Indiana high school all-star game.

Coach Chaney gets early “Christmas” present in 6-5 swingman, though there seems to be an eligibility question…

Christmas commits to Temple

Looking more and more like Richmond will lose its coach to DePaul:

Wainwright closing in on DePaul job

More…

Atlantic 10

Linda Bruno Named Among Top 20 Most Influential Women in Sports Business by Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal

UMass

Ford buyout could cost $150,000 [NOTE: UMass is getting off easy - UVa is paying DePaul $1.5 million for Leitao]

Richmond

Spiders start background work: Richmond AD Miller likely to want experience if Wainwright departs

[b]Davidson coach Bob McKillop, if he could be persuaded to leave the Wildcats' program he has guided for 16 years, employs an offense that, to some degree, resembles what Beilein used at UR. McKillop has strong international ties, which could be helpful to UR, and a background that includes 16 years as a high school coach in New York City. He drew a high level of UR interest when Miller hired Wainwright in 2002.[/b]