Baseball - 2014 schedule

From every report I’ve heard, Butler will only be here one year.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28412”]Since we are less than a month away from opening day, Here is my guess at an opening day line-up:

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Weekend Rotation will be Brock Hudgens and Ryan Butler on Friday and Saturday. The Sunday starter’s role will be between RH Corey Roberts and LH Jason Harris.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Looks like a good line-up. I’m glad that Shive is back. Gallello is the guy that keeps hanging around and is tough to keep off the field. I think Sherer has a bright future. Big kid with s smooth swing. You gotta like that. Do you think Dunnegan has the foot speed to play in the OF?

Tulane and FIU wont be that low. Too much talent every yr.

Usm…sigh…best environment in ncaa…for many many reasons

[quote=“UC Niner, post:11, topic:28412”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28412”]Since we are less than a month away from opening day, Here is my guess at an opening day line-up:

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Weekend Rotation will be Brock Hudgens and Ryan Butler on Friday and Saturday. The Sunday starter’s role will be between RH Corey Roberts and LH Jason Harris.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I think we could see Sherer hit higher in the order at some point in the year. He has a great swing and drove in a good amount of runs in the Fall World Series. I’m also excited to see Shive back in the lineup.

I feel with pitching that we’re set for Friday (Butler) and Saturday (Hudgens). I’d lean Butler on Friday because he has the best stuff on the team. We could see the Sunday starter change a lot, which could be a problem in this conference.

My guess at the lineup would be the same, with the exception of swapping Sherer and Gallelo. I’m excited to see us play a higher level of competition. I also feel we have given Hibbs a few more tools to compete in CUSA than he had the first time around, though we are sadly well behind our peers in this conference.

Regardless, this is an exciting time for the baseball program. We should see our talent level really rise with moving to a big time baseball conference.[/quote]

I agree. I think we will be much more competitive in C-USA this time now that we have a quality facility. We still have a ways to go as far as C-USA facilities, but we are in better shape now than we left the conference in 2005. Excited at the fact that if we play well enough, we have a chance at an at large bid like we got in 1998.

Hopefully more 49er fans, and baseball fans in the Charlotte community will take more of an interest in our program now that we have quality baseball programs coming to our quality facility on a weekly basis. Every C-USA team coming here this year has been to the NCAA recently, all but 1 have advanced to the Super Regionals, and 1 has been to the CWS. Unfortunately Rice doesn’t come here this year, but they are the top dog in this conference.

Ryan Butler is ranked #172 in 2014 MLB Draft prospects by Perfect Game. That’s roughly a 6th Round pick, same as John Maine.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=9322

13 Players from C-USA in the Top 300 (1st 10 Rounds). Also 4 C-USA commits on the list.

Are you talking about the days when we used to have to leave our bleacher or grass seat, walk the length of the field, then cross the road, and then enter the women’s softball stadium just to take a whiz? Back then, I always found it a little embarrassing when visiting fans found out they had to leave the baseball field and walk to the women’s softball stadium to use the bathroom.

Our new stadium may have less seating capacity than it needs to have, but it is one very nice facility. The only things we need are more seats and an Old Well up the street so some of us can have our photo taken with brides-to-be before the game. :slight_smile:

As always, I am ready for some 49er baseball this year.

Irony…the best raw talent in school history played in old stands. Hate if you wish, but fact.

Unfortunately the new facility was built at the same time we left CUSA and entered the A-10.
Glad to be back in a good baseball conference with a decent facility.

Yep. Most of our fans just don’t understand how good Bo and James were. Best talent we’ve had since new stadium IMO was Lyerly. He was a baller too.

Oh, no doubt. No argument from me. I’m not hating, but it is nice to have the much improved stadium we have now. I just wish we had it for our first tour in CUSA, and even before then.

clt says just like our basketball team.

clt says just like our basketball team.[/quote]
lot of similarities between the 2 for sure. Lack of TV (until this season), horrendous OOC scheduling, and lack of post season success also come to mind.

Yep. Most of our fans just don’t understand how good Bo and James were. Best talent we’ve had since new stadium IMO was Lyerly. He was a baller too.[/quote]

Hard to get better offensively than the 98 team.

We are picked to finish 8th in our 1st season back in C-USA by Perfect Game. I think we will be in the 6-9 range.

No. Team W L W L
1 Rice* 15 9 44 20
2 Florida Atlantic 19 11 42 22
3 East Carolina 14 10 31 26
4 Tulane 11 13 30 28
5 Florida International 13 17 26 32
6 Southern Mississippi 15 9 30 27
7 Texas-San Antonio 15 11 35 25
8 Charlotte 17 7 37 23
9 Old Dominion 15 12 30 24
10 Middle Tennessee St. 11 19 28 28
11 Marshall 6 18 20 34
12 Louisiana Tech 6 21 19 37
13 Alabama-Birmingham 7 17 23 36

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:34, topic:28412”]We are picked to finish 8th in our 1st season back in C-USA by Perfect Game. I think we will be in the 6-9 range.

No. Team W L W L
1 Rice* 15 9 44 20
2 Florida Atlantic 19 11 42 22
3 East Carolina 14 10 31 26
4 Tulane 11 13 30 28
5 Florida International 13 17 26 32
6 Southern Mississippi 15 9 30 27
7 Texas-San Antonio 15 11 35 25
8 Charlotte 17 7 37 23
9 Old Dominion 15 12 30 24
10 Middle Tennessee St. 11 19 28 28
11 Marshall 6 18 20 34
12 Louisiana Tech 6 21 19 37
13 Alabama-Birmingham 7 17 23 36[/quote]

I’m just thankful somebody here wants to talk about baseball. Thanks Mr. B. I can’t wait for the 15th!! (I’ll be in the doghouse if I go on the 14th)

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209385435&USE_REGULAR_SITE_FOR_MOBILE=YES

Charlotte49ers.com predicts weather in the 70’s lol

we better put our big boy pants on this spring, this is a solid as hell league

Mr. B, you know anything about who is going to play LF and RF?

[font=Verdana][size=2]I’d like to see Elwood in RF, but I have heard he is taking reps at SS. [/size][/font]
[size=2]Shive played RF this fall, so take that for what it is worth.[/size]

[size=2]Depending on who we have a SS, 3B, and 2B, we could see Mikal Hill or Gallello out in Left. Gallello played some in Left in the fall, but you have to think he is locked in at 3rd.[/size]

We will be a middle of the pack team this year, but I am excited to see some quality teams come here on the weekends.

There are some really good teams that will be battling to get into the C-USA Tourney. Only the top 8 get in.

We will be a middle of the pack team this year, but I am excited to see some quality teams come here on the weekends.

There are some really good teams that will be battling to get into the C-USA Tourney. Only the top 8 get in.[/quote]

I’d be pretty pleased with a spot in the conference tournament in year one. When the move was first announced, I expected us to spend some time in the bottom half while we upgraded the roster.