Baseball Week 6- vs App State (Atrium Health Ballpark), at WKU

Conference play is here this week. We are now at 10-8 and have won 3 weekend series and lost 2. We have a big win over Tennessee in the midweek games so far. RPI is at 34.

The RPI is going to be funky this year with the different scheduling from conference to conference, but I’m glad we are sitting where we are now, heading into C-USA weekends.

We play a mid-week vs App State on Tuesday. It will be the first baseball game ever played at the brand new $50+ million Atrium Health Ballpark in Kannapolis.

Then we travel to WKU this weekend to start C-USA play. 4 game weekend series’ this year so it will be interesting to see how everyone plays it.

3 Likes

Polls:

D1 Baseball

ECU 8
Tennessee 12
LaTech 23
UNC-CH 24

Baseball America

ECU 8
UNC-CH 11
Tennessee 16

clt says playing appy is going to hurt our rpi

WKU has had a good season so far. They have been on ESPN+ quite a bit and I’ve enjoyed watching them.

They beat a good Cincinatti team in a series, and gave a good tulane team all they wanted in another series. They also lost a series to NDSU, so they are having a weird season. Should be a good barometer for us.

App has really struggled when you get to the bullpen. That’s what we need to do. They don’t hit for a lot of power, but several solid on base guys.

LETS GET AFTER IT. 5-0 THIS WEEK BAYBEEEE.

1 Like

I’m thinking we see Marozas tomorrow, but interested to see how long he goes. Pitching management will be interesting this week with our first 4 game weekend.

We switched up the rotation a little this past weekend, moving McGowan to 1, Brooks to 2, and Lindsey to 3.

RPI is super flawed, but def worth a peek for those interested:

http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/rpi-live

ECU at #4. Western and Rhode Island in the top 25.

Which pitchers have left the team?

Howdy, NORMal/BlockCLT/Jakco/John!

I hate that Offshanka and Palinkas felt they could get more playing time elsewhere. Both are good guys. With the logjam on rosters, it is going to be happening a lot in college baseball. Sounds like Dillon Phillips has been having injury problems and is taking some time off.

Walks have been an issue. Hopefully the guys will get dialed in. We’re not there yet, but you have to feel like we’re moving in the right direction.

Staff ERA
2019 5.59
2020 6.34
2021 3.35

Opp BA
2019 .288
2020 .262
2021 .209

K/9
2019 7.65
2020 9.28
2021 11.15

BB/9
2019 4.38
2020 4.97
2021 4.97

McKeithan has proven to be a very good ball player. Nice offseason addition. The 4 game conference series format will definitely be challenge for all the catchers in the league. Whitley is a veteran and I’m sure he’ll will be ready when he’s called on.

1 Like

2nd year sophomores Will Palinkas & Justin Offshanka have entered the transfer portal. Will Palinkas was lights out when he came in out of high school. Offshanka had been making good strides. I hope both those guys find good spots and get a chance to play. With rosters loaded the way they are in college baseball look for this to happen more than usual.

Incoming juco Dillon Phillips has taken a step back from baseball after having some injury issues. It’s too bad. I saw him hit 97 this past Fall. Hope he gets healthy.

Surely they can’t have blocked all of your accounts.

Likely depends on what time of the day it is.

Fun fact for you: Napoleon wasn’t short.

So now instead of “Napoleon complex” we say “Lutz complex” ?

2 Likes

I knew Bobby would wind up in a baseball thread. I now have NN.N BINGO!!! :joy:

1 Like

best pitching staff in UNCC history according to NWA

Nope - said that is what I had been told. I don’t like baseball, boring sport if ya ask me. I have no idea what best staff even means by the stats.

No staff is ever going to be the best in our history 18 games in. You know that.

1 Like

Oh snap you hurt the hero’s feelings

2 Likes

We are going with Hale Sims tonight on the mound.

Important question, Anyone know if they will serve beer tonight??

1 Like

There was plenty served at the Uptown game on Saturday so I don’t see why you couldn’t buy a beer in Kannapolis tonight.

Also, beer is still being served at the Hayes this season, just like at Football games.