Belk Gym

Something I noticed today when I was at the Belk for a class. There are a shiiiiiiiiiiiit load of trophies in there. As soon as you walk in on your right there are 3 trophy cases filled with pretty much mens basketball trophies. Why can’t this be moved to the sac, for all to see, not to sit in the High School looking Belk gym?

If they don’t move it, you should go look. I knew they had been there but today I took the time to read just about all of the,. They have the plaques where Jarvis Lang got his number retired and such…

There are some preliminary plans out there for an athletic hall of fame/trophy area now, not sure where it currently stands.

That’s one of those things that I think got “budgeted” out of the SAC due to cost overruns. Someone needs to step up and provide the $$$ to get it done. Not sure where it would go, though. If nothing else, they need to moved to the administrative office level of the SAC. Didn’t realize the trophy cases were still in the Mine Shaft.

I think in the foyer, like as you walk into the arena, one of the openings could hod the trophy cases.

i mean there are some big name things in the belk…like basketballs and nets from 1977…its crazy, what a shame they just sit there

Sort of related, but not the best opinion piece ever.

http://www.nineronline.com/vnews/display.v…9e?in_archive=1

I’d love to hammer the response that one state fan made.

well, the article is acouple of years old.

We should move all the old basketball stuff to the vicinity of the basketball offices. Give recruits and visitors a taste of the program we have here.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 09:50 PM [b] We should move all the old basketball stuff to the vicinity of the basketball offices. Give recruits and visitors a taste of the program we have here. [/b]
One would think that would be the sensible thing to do.
[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 09:50 PM [b] We should move all the old basketball stuff to the vicinity of the basketball offices. Give recruits and visitors a taste of the program we have here. [/b]
You mean recruits aren't taken to Belk Gym when they are on campus? :o

Silly me, I thought Belk Gym was one of the campus highlights for all visitors? :o

Getting that stuff out of Belk is such a no-brainer, its not even funny. Sure, the school might desire something fancier than the budget allows.

Put it in some standalone display cases in the pregame/halftime hospitality areas. Leaving it to rot in Belk is a slap to everyone who helped earn it.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Apr 19 2005, 06:50 PM [b] well, the article is acouple of years old. [/b]
Which is why I didn't say anything. I guess none of us caught it at the time.

if there are nets and balls from the 70’s, that are just rotting in belk gym…i mean ill take them home…and i promise theyll get better attention and will be seen by more niner fans then in belk, which is always filled with people playing bball while OUR guys are playing… :huh:

[i]Originally posted by austinniner+Apr 19 2005, 11:17 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (austinniner @ Apr 19 2005, 11:17 PM)

I went to Belk before the Homecoming game this year and took a look at the trophy case. I don’t mind them being in Belk but they could be displayed better. I noticed that the bleachers have been removed. It would be cool to partition off part of the court that we used to play on and make a Niner history/ Trophy room. That’s probably not feasible though.

I would suggest at the least displaying our Conference Championship trophies and memorabilia in the SAC dining area where all the students could see them daily. Each Championship could get it’s own small display area. Students need to know and learn what tradition we have. Maye if they saw it every day, people would eventually have some school pride.

I also think it would be awesome to have pictures of the players who have their jerseys retired displayed in the SAC. I wouldn’t imagine that this would be too expensive.

I’m done rambling now.

I always chuckle when I read on here that someone should put up the money for something. UNC-Charlotte has a very poor record of alumni giving back to the school. This board is filled with our very best and I wish we had more alumni like the many I have encountered on this board.

As far as the trophy move goes, that sounds great but what are the trophies for and how old are they? If we are talking fairly recent trophies such as our conference championships or something like that then I say definitely move them.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Apr 20 2005, 07:11 PM [b] As far as the trophy move goes, that sounds great but what are the trophies for and how old are they? If we are talking fairly recent trophies such as our conference championships or something like that then I say definitely move them. [/b]
I would expect that every sport is represented in some aspect in those cases. Some of them go back to the old Dixie Conference, before UNCC became a Division I team. I had to rearrange all the trophies a time or two back in the day in those cases and I had not seen them in probably 10 years until homecoming.

Some of them are showing some wear, but are they any less important than a conference championship trophy today? I think not, the players should know the heritage of the program. You would likely be a bit disappointed at some of the more recent trophies, cheaply made compared to some of the older ones. A few from some second rate tournament the 49ers have plaed in are quite nice looking. The most disappointing ones surprisingly are the NIT runner-up bowl and Maxwell’s NIT NVP bowl as well as the Final Four trophy. They just don’t make trophies like they used to.

When are they going to hang the 2005 (2004?) NCAA banner in Halton? We’re getting quite a few of them, but all you have to do is make the 65, not advance, to be able to do that. Sigh…