Best / Favorite Albums of the Decade

Ok, I will give this a shot. It will be tough, because all of the best / my favorite stuff came out late 80s early to mid 90s, but I will join the fun.
  1. Kanye West - The College Dropout
  2. Cormega - The Realness
  3. Sean Price - Jesus Price SupaStar
  4. M.O.P. - Warriorz
  5. 50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin’
  6. Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
  7. Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli & DJ Hi-Tek) - Train of Thought
  8. The Roots - Game Theory
  9. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
  10. Nas - Stillmatic

Honorable Mentions: J Dilla - Donuts, Common - Be, Kanye West - Late Registration, Buckshot & 9th Wonder - The Formula, Jay-Z - American Gangster, Jay-Z - The Black Album, Nas - Street’s Disciple, Nas - God’s Son, The Roots - Phrenology and probably some others I forgot…

I thought you were white…

I do have the Blueprint and Black Album, well did until my car was broken into.

I thought you were white....

I do have the Blueprint and Black Album, well did until my car was broken into.

I am, but I got into hip-hop when I was like 8 years old from a family friend. The only rock music I like is GNR some early 90s and a ton of 60s and 70s, so it wouldn’t fit into this list.

Also it is a little different where I’m from, most of the people I grew up with / friends with don’t listen to much rock either.

Most white kids when we grew up didn’t listen to rock music either.

I am, but I got into hip-hop when I was like 8 years old from a family friend. The only rock music I like is GNR some early 90s and a ton of 60s and 70s, so it wouldn't fit into this list.

Also it is a little different where I’m from, most of the people I grew up with / friends with don’t listen to much rock either.

I said it tongue in cheek… I listened to mostly rap growing up as well. It was nice to see more recognizable stuff listed.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;434816]Most white kids when we grew up didn’t listen to rock music either.[/QUOTE]

I was made fun of in middle school because I listened to rock and not rap.

Hell, the only reason I ever listened to rap was peer pressure.

I never really gave most rap a chance until I was in college, cause I was super close-minded.

Then I started listening to Outkast and Tupac. And then it just kinda snowballed from there. I’ve found I like almost every genre of music except for jam bands.

Ok, I will give this a shot. It will be tough, because all of the best / my favorite stuff came out late 80s early to mid 90s, but I will join the fun.
  4. M.O.P. - Warriorz
  9. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
  10. Nas - Stillmatic

Honorable Mentions: J Dilla - Donuts, Common - Be, Kanye West - Late Registration, Buckshot & 9th Wonder - The Formula, Jay-Z - American Gangster, Jay-Z - The Black Album, Nas - Street’s Disciple, Nas - God’s Son, The Roots - Phrenology and probably some others I forgot…

You really think that Street’s Disciple and God’s Son are better than Nas’ newest CD? I’m not being contentious or anything, just curious. Also, props for remembering American Gangster. Totally forgot about that one. Great CD.

Deftones - White Pony

Damn, I forgot about this one. For some reason, I felt like this was released in the 90’s. Just feels like a LONG time ago. Its one of my favorites too.

[U]De Loused in the Comatorium[/U]- The Mars Volta [U]The Moon and Antarctica[/U]- Modest Mouse

I thought about putting these two on my list too. Especially The Mars Volta.

You really think that Street's Disciple and God's Son are better than Nas' newest CD? I'm not being contentious or anything, just curious. Also, props for remembering American Gangster. Totally forgot about that one. Great CD.

I have not listened to the N, along with a lot of other CDs post 2000 that could have made my list. Not as easy getting all the music as it was when I was younger.

I think Street’s Disciple as 1 CD (cut out the filler) would have been great. God’s Son wasn’t great, but I listened to it a lot. Made You Look and Get Down were enough for me to put it as a Honorable Mention.

I have not listened to the N, along with a lot of other CDs post 2000 that could have made my list. Not as easy getting all the music as it was when I was younger.

I think Street’s Disciple as 1 CD (cut out the filler) would have been great. God’s Son wasn’t great, but I listened to it a lot. Made You Look and Get Down were enough for me to put it as a Honorable Mention.

Fair enough. Street’s Disciple has a LOT of filler, but there are some great tracks there. You should definitely check out the new album though. It’s his best since Illmatic, at least in my opinion.

[QUOTE=casstommy;434750]Inspired by the Pitchfork list that was linked in the music thread, what are NNN’s favorite albums of the decade?

My top ten, in no particular order (except for number 1)

1. [B]Queens of the Stone Age[/B] - [I]Songs for the Deaf[/I]

Its a creepy ass record that just kicks a lot of ass. Tons of homages to Sabbath, just the right blend of poppy hooks, and non stop face crunching riffs. This is the best line up of the Queens, with members of Ween, Screaming Trees, and Nirvana backing up Homme.

1. [B]Kings Of Leon[/B] - [I]Aha Shake Heartbreak[/I]

Its not KOL’s best album (I think that goes to [I]Because of the Times[/I]). But its raw, loaded with sexual references, and the track sequence is laid out perfectly. Plus it has the best song about impotence ever recorded.

1. [B]Arctic Monkeys[/B] - [I]Whatever People Say I am, Thats What I’m Not[/I]

I’m a sucker for 3 minute frenetic songs with a pop hook. Thats basically everything these guys do (up until their latest album)

1. [B]Silversun Pickups[/B] - [I]Carnavas[/I]

Smashing Pumpkins meets My Bloody Valentine is a nice description of the album. A great blend of post grunge and shoegaze. And I think Lazy Eye is my favorite song of the decade…maybe.

1. [B]White Stripes[/B] - [I]Elephant[/I]

There were about 3 Stripes albums I could have used, but I went with Elephant, mainly cause of Ball and Biscuit. Its just a great ****ing album, and Jack White has been the most consistant musician in at least the past 10 years.

1. [B]Blind Pilot[/B] - [I]3 Rounds and a Sound[/I]

A couple of dudes from Portland continue to fly WAY under the radar. Even in indie circles, where the more obscure a band is, the better, they continue to be overlooked. Its too bad. Its a great album.

1. [B]Coheed and Cambria[/B] - [I]Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV Vol. 1[/I]

The perfect blend of pop, prog, and staight up rock. They’re pretentious as hell, but damn can they write a song. And I’m pretty sure if you don’t like [I]Welcome Home,[/I] you hate music.

1. [B]Wilco[/B] - [I]Sky Blue Sky[/I]

I know I’ll get ripped by Wilco fan boi’s (yes I know YHF is a better album) but this is my favorite Wilco album. It just seems like a complete album with real grown up songs on it. You Are My Face sounds like something you could have heard in the early 70’s.

1. [B]At The Drive In[/B] - [I]Relationship of Command[/I]

These guys get lumped in with all that nu metal **** that was popular in the early 90’s. Don’t know why. They’re much more prog than anything. Its unfortunate, cause this album kiss so much ass.

1. [B]Arcade Fire[/B] - [I]Funeral[/I]

Best album of the decade, and its not even close for me. Its just perfect, and nothing else really needs to be said about it.

honorable mention…

Bon Iver - [I]For Emma, Forever ago[/I]
Spoon - [I]Ga Ga Ga[/I]
Bright Eyes - [I]I’m Wide Awake, Its Morning[/I]
Mason Jennings - [I]Boneclouds[/I]
Loudon Wainwright III - [I]Strange Weirdos[/I]
Vampire Weekend - [I]Vampire Weekend[/I]
Cat Power - [I]The Greatest[/I]
[I]…[/I]And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - [I]Source Tags and Codes[/I]
My Morning Jacket - [I]Z[/I]
Band Of Horses - [I]Everything All the Time[/I][/QUOTE]

It’s probably bad to say this, but I only know songs by some of the bands on your list from Rock Band. I like Lazy Eye, but not enough to actually get into their music. QOTSA is the same way. They are a decent band, but they don’t really excite me. Go with the flow is a pretty cool track though. Coheed is okay, but not a band I can listen to for long periods of time. I did really like a Favor House Atlantic, but they are, again, a band that doesn’t really excite me.

ATDI is tight. White Stripes are so bland. I may be the only person in the world who thinks that, but Jack White is not great. The garage rock revival was underwhelming for me, but the Von Bondies’ C’mon, C’mon is a great song, so there’s that. Also, I don’t dig Bright Eyes.

This probably is the best rock music around these days, but that speaks volumes on the state of rock music to me.

[QUOTE=TheNinerAlchemist;434761]
3. [I]Redemption Songs [/I]by Jars of Clay
2. [I]Nothing Is Sound[/I] by Switchfoot
[/QUOTE]

Jars of Clay is typically better than most christian rock, but I was surprised to see they are still recording. Switchfoot is, to me, the worst kind of generic christian rock.

[QUOTE=jfickett;434763]some of my favorites thusfar off the top of my head at 4 am in alphabetical order:

After The Burial - Rareform
As Blood Runs Black - Allegiance
August Burns Red - Constellations
August Burns Red - Messengers
August Burns Red - Thrill Seeker
Between The Buried And Me - Alaska
Between The Buried And Me - Colors
Between The Buried And Me - The Great Misdirect
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Born of Osiris - A Higher Place
Born of Osiris - The New Reign
Enter Shakiri - Common Dreads
Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon
Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
Every Time I Die - Last Night In Town
He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood
Iron and Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle
Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
My Hero Is Me - The Crywolf Broadcast
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
Parkway Drive - Horizons
Parkway Drive - Killing With a Smile
Protest the Hero - Fortress
Protest the Hero - Kezia
The Devil Wears Prada - Plagues
The Devil Wears Prada - With Roots Above and Branches Below
Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance
Veil of Maya - The Common Man’s Collapse
Within the Ruins - Creature[/QUOTE]

More power to you, but that stuff all blends together to me after a short while. Do you like any melodic hardcore? It’s probably my favorite genre of music (I grew up on skate punk, so it’s only natural).

[QUOTE=itsbraille49;434806]I don’t like enough of today’s music to have a list of ten, but I’d like to give honorable mention to a couple:

[U]De Loused in the Comatorium[/U]- The Mars Volta
[U]The Moon and Antarctica[/U]- Modest Mouse[/QUOTE]

Never understood the appeal of Modest Mouse. I really feel like TMV and Sparta are less interesting than ATDI. Wish they would get back together.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;434805]Ok, I will give this a shot. It will be tough, because all of the best / my favorite stuff came out late 80s early to mid 90s, but I will join the fun.

4. M.O.P. - Warriorz
  9. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
  10. Nas - Stillmatic

Honorable Mentions: J Dilla - Donuts, Common - Be, Kanye West - Late Registration, Buckshot & 9th Wonder - The Formula, Jay-Z - American Gangster, Jay-Z - The Black Album, Nas - Street’s Disciple, Nas - God’s Son, The Roots - Phrenology and probably some others I forgot…[/QUOTE]

I can’t take 50 Cent seriously, but the rest of your list is pretty solid. That Roots CD is great. They are one band I wish I could see live, cause they’d have about 50 people on stage.

I can't take 50 Cent seriously, but the rest of your list is pretty solid. That Roots CD is great. They are one band I wish I could see live, cause they'd have about 50 people on stage.

Me neither, but I do like that album a lot. It was before he got too commercial.

I saw the Roots live in Charlotte back in 2001 at Tremont Music Hall. It was amazing. They performed for about 2 hours, did their songs and jumped into some covers. They did solos at the end and covers as well. Crowd was really into it.

Their bass player, Leonard Hubbard retired (before Game Theory) and they have some other changes. I didn’t get to see them witch Rahzel, but Scatch is really good too, when he did Paul Revere it was insane.

50 Cent is garbage now, but that’s a pretty good CD. And “How to Rob” is a CLASSIC.

Jars of Clay actually were really big again recently when they released Good Monsters, the CD after Redemption Songs. GM was sort of a concept CD about how the band members felt like they weren’t living the Christian life they were espousing on record. It was really good. Redemption Songs is all hymns though, and I like Jars of Clay doing hymns most of all.

As for Switchfoot, I’ve always been a big fan of theirs. Jonathan Foreman is a really talented songwriter.

I hate rap. I especially hate how ever-present it is, and how so many stupid kids worship it.

I hate rap. I especially hate how ever-present it is, and how so many stupid kids worship it.

Listen to Nas - Illmatic and if it doesn’t change your opinion, nothing will.

Also realize there is a difference between real hip hop and rap. The line has been blurred by the mass media / MTV in the past 10 or so years.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;434830]Listen to Nas - Illmatic and if it doesn’t change your opinion, nothing will.

Also realize there is a difference between real hip hop and rap. The line has been blurred by the mass media / MTV in the past 10 or so years.[/QUOTE]

One song: “One Mic”

That song is incredible.

Also, check out Eyedea and Abilities

Beyonce had one of the BEST VIDEOS [B]EVER[/B]!!!

Beyonce had one of the BEST VIDEOS [B]EVER[/B]!!!

Of all time

Of all time

i say it my way, i’m not a gay fish.

Also, would Let It Be…Naked count as this decade? Recorded in the 60s released in 2003, if so it makes my list

I have to say with the Blueprint by JayZ though, while a good CD, when I found out it was going to have him and Eminem on it I thought it was going to be sick… I was a bit disappointed. It wasn’t bad, but it could have been epic.