Best / Favorite Albums of the Decade

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;434933]I never said you were looking down on people. We all know with your baggage you would be the last person to do such a thing.

I just remember back in college listening to some artists and thinking they were pretty decent, along with some friends, and then the group would make it big, and all the sudden nobody liked them b/c they were too mainstream.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha. **** you.

Yeah, I hate that kind of mentality. But you know, some people just want to stand out or be unique, cause in the end that stuff really matters, you know.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;434935]How about you just agree?[/QUOTE]

How about them saints?

How about them saints?

That loss was the worst thing to happen for your Fins…

The downward spiral for the Jets begins.

The downward spiral for the Jets begins.

You are crazy or obviously didn’t watch the game.

Of course I didn’t watch the game, it wasn’t televised here. I watched the Broncos beat the Cowboys.

I did see Miami absolutely murder Buffalo though.

It's probably bad to say this, but I only know songs by some of the bands on your list from Rock Band. I like Lazy Eye, but not enough to actually get into their music. QOTSA is the same way. They are a decent band, but they don't really excite me. Go with the flow is a pretty cool track though. Coheed is okay, but not a band I can listen to for long periods of time. I did really like a Favor House Atlantic, but they are, again, a band that doesn't really excite me.

ATDI is tight. White Stripes are so bland. I may be the only person in the world who thinks that, but Jack White is not great. The garage rock revival was underwhelming for me, but the Von Bondies’ C’mon, C’mon is a great song, so there’s that. Also, I don’t dig Bright Eyes.

This probably is the best rock music around these days, but that speaks volumes on the state of rock music to me.

I can understand that. I think we, generally speaking, have different tastes in music, or at least different favorite types of music.

I think the state of rock music is fine right now. More than fine even. It’s just harder to find.

[QUOTE=casstommy;434950]I can understand that. I think we, generally speaking, have different tastes in music, or at least different favorite types of music.

I think the state of rock music is fine right now. More than fine even. It’s just harder to find.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, outside of White Stripes (and I know I’m in a minority on them), I thought most of the stuff you listed (that I knew of course) was solid. I just like a bit of explosion in the music I listen to.

I really don’t think rock music is fine though, I don’t think any genre of music is particularly strong right now. Mainstream music is in one of its worst slumps ever and underground music is very stagnant and streamlined. It’s the exact opposite of the mid 80s to early 90s.

Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (yea I like this album, big whoop, wanna fight about it?)

I liked this one too. In fact, I’ve liked all the Coldplay albums except for the newest one.

I think the newest one is pretty good.

Anybody use lastfm?

Anybody use lastfm?

I did till they blocked it at work. Also blocked Playlist, All songs considered, Pandora, Grooveshark.

Stupid work!

YEAH! What do they want you to do? WORK?!

[QUOTE=49or bust;434878]
The Strokes - Is This It?, Room On Fire (yea I like(d) them, big whoop, wanna fight about it?)
[/QUOTE]

These two albums both hold up remarkably well. Room on Fire wasn’t too popular when it came out, but it is a quality album. Hopefully they do something new soon, their last one was okay, but still have a few great moments.

If you are a fan of Vampire Weekend, you can download their first single from their new album (Contra, released 1/12) at their website. Didn’t like it at all with the first listen but now I can’t get it out of my head. That damn rhythym! White Sky is also on the new album and can be found on YouTube.

http://vampireweekend.com/

I’ll take on the snob comment.

Don’t confuse snob with scenesters. The derogatory comments about people only liking an underground band until they get big - that’s describing some scenester or hipster. I’m neither. But I am a snob, and I’m proud of it. Here’s why - a real snob generally knows all the music he or she is into, and knows all of that top 40 garbage too. What makes him or her a snob is the ability to discern good from crap and the desire to stick to his guns everytime some drunk redneck wants to trumpter the latest abomination as the greatest ever. A snob will be able to tell you every band that has already covered that song that you didnt even realize was a cover, and what the songwriter was thinking or doing when they wrote the original, and which version really is best.

And he sure as hell wont give two ****s that you hate him for it.

:shades:

PS - Sometimes bands really do sell out and ruin their sound by pandering to the lowest common denominator. See Leon, Kings of - “Use Somebody”. Utter shlock. I dont care how popular it is right now. That song is terrible.

I was waiting for NA to comment. Remember, he listens to bands that don’t even exist yet.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;435103]I was waiting for NA to comment. Remember, he listens to bands that don’t even exist yet.[/QUOTE]

They’re better than your bands. :tongue:

I cant name a single band that I genuinely like that at least a few people on here havent already heard. And if I was trying to be a pretentious scenester dick about it, I wouldnt be posting links trying to get the word out. I just like talking music with other real fans who arent satisfied with whatever the walmart of radio (clearchannel) is serving today.

There’s a music board I post on that has a running best albums thread. Most of the posters post the album cover and not the band’s name, etc. You’re only cool if you have a damn clue what album that is and dont have to ask. No thanks. I ruin the thread by posting names and links to downloads or samples.

Back on topic: I’m having a hard time coming up with a top 10. There are a couple of obvious choices, but after that, it gets really tough. My tastes change too often.

PS - Sometimes bands really do sell out and ruin their sound by pandering to the lowest common denominator. See Leon, Kings of - "Use Somebody". Utter shlock. I dont care how popular it is right now. That song is terrible.

KOL suffer from the “scenester/hipster” backlash you were talking about a few posts ago. I’ve heard a lot of it the past 5 days with ACL being this weekend.

Their newest record is not my favorite record by far. But its also not nearly worth the amount of hate its received by all of their fans who, by all indications, are just pissed off their music is getting played by Ace and TJ in the morning.

Some of the criticism of the the newest record is off base to me. “Tacky lyrics”…as if KOL’s older stuff was all that deep to begin with. 90 % of the time he’s singing about getting laid anyway.

Or the notion that they’re now writing stadium rock anthems. The band has become more melodic (something that was obvious with Because of the Times), but stadium rock? Maybe I’m just still think of stadium rock as something entirely different than others.

The worst is the U2 lite criticisms, as if the Edge has a monoply on atmospheric melodies.

I knew KOL was in trouble (trouble being a relative word since they are now rakinig in cash hand over fist, and good for them I say) when I was at my daughters dance class during the end of last year and I heard Use Somebody booming from a CD player in a class down the hall. I wandered down there and saw a bunch of 12 yr olds warming up to it. Whenever the “unwashed masses” get hold of a band, you know the “insert random band has jumped the shark” comments can’t be to far behind.

I really liked the Clutch album Beale Street to Oblivion which came out a couple years ago. A lot of Gearheads disagree with me on that because they prefer their more barebones, minimalist hard rock style - and as a result they ditched the harmonica & electric organ on the latest album (to my disappointment). The band is still as riff-heavy as ever, though, since they were trying to make kind of a modern blues album (the big single off the Beale Street album was ‘Electric Worry’ which was essentially a Mississippi Fred McDowell cover). For much of the rest of the album, I can hear a Black Sabbath influence on it (but only Sabbath’s early songs like ‘The Wizard’).

Among ‘heavy’ bands, there is often too many bands that sound alike. So when a band like Clutch or Tool comes along that separates themselves from the rest of the pack, it really captures my interest.

Clutch has been around for a long time, I was surprised to see they were playing a show here recently. I had figured they broke up a long time ago.

It’s not just hard rock survivor, most genres of music blend together right now. There are very few bands that stand out, and the bands that do get so many imitators so quickly that it’s hard for them to be unique for long.