Best Observer sports page ever

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted yet. Today’s printed Sports page that went to the entire readership includes:

-Front page Maine leading the Mets to victory followed by photo of him receiving the standing ovation. The photo is outstanding if anyone can find it. [URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/15794111.htm]Maine lead Mets to game 6 win[/URL]

-Front Page, 49ers Madness tonight story (Story, event info, and profile of 6 newcomers including photos. [URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/university_of_north_carolina_charlotte/15794096.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_university_of_north_carolina_charlotte]49ers Madness begins tonight[/URL]

-Story on Field Culbreth, Charlotte Alum/former baseball player, who is umpiring the NL series. [URL=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/university_of_north_carolina_charlotte/15794097.htm?source=rss&channel=charlotte_university_of_north_carolina_charlotte]Field Culbreth working NLCS[/URL]

Links are also posted to the left in Niner Headlines.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. It also includes a story on the front page about UNC CH football being in disarray.

it’s still crapple hole loving statist propaganda.

Thanks Mike!

Yes, it is amazing! Hopefully a sign of things to come. A-10 Media Day is next week (Tuesday, October 24th), so I’m looking forward to a spread on that.

BTW, I noticed some discrepancies in the new players weights in the newspaper capsules and on the roster on Charlotte49ers.com:

Player / Roster weight / Observer weight

5 David Booker / 225 lbs / 235 lbs

#11 Ian Andersen / 180 lbs / 205 lbs

#21 Phil Jones / 255 lbs / 271 lbs

#24 Carlos Williams / 190 lbs / 190 lbs

#31 Charles Dewhurst / 185 lbs / 185 lbs

#35 Sean Phaler / 200 lbs / 175 lbs

GO NINERS!

Wow, those are some big differences.

at first, looking at the top few, it made our guys look bigger, making us look better, then the last one…

Wow! That’s pretty impressive. It’s as if the newspaper was based in Charlotte or something.

Seriously, they did a good job. I can’t even blame them for the weight differences - every time I google search the height and weight of a college recruit, I find that the variations are stunning.

I agree with everyone. The Observer is really doing a good job. So, big thanks to Mike and the Observer staff! :thumbsup:

just FYI, weights are most recent from practice this week.

anyone else noticed ian andersen is the only player showing up on the online version of the play capsules?? can that be fixed?

Thanking them for doing their job ??

You people make it sound like they uncovered some new information.

Field Culbreath is NOT umpiring his first LCS. Also, he did umpire in this summer’s All Star Game. Nice story…but its 'bout damn time they woke up and realized the connection to Charlotte.

As far as the Maine story, that’s an incredibly obvious story to print. no rocket science on this one. Any sports department in America could figure out that it deserved Page 1 (as well as the fact that Maine was one of 2 possible story lines).

If 49ers Basketball Madness can’t get a page 1 on a CHARLOTTE SPORTS PAGE…Bobby Lutz should be given permission to destroy the Observer sports department.

Thanking them for this is like thanking “John Doe” for showing up at his desk this morning.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;193252]

…is like thanking “John Doe” for showing up at his desk this morning.[/QUOTE]

You gotta love that John Doe! He gets my respect.

[QUOTE=Chisox17;193257]You gotta love that John Doe! He gets my respect.[/QUOTE]

FINALLY, FINALLY somebody cares !!!

The opening paragraphs from today’s NY Times story put last nights in perspective very well (and for record, I can’t stand the Mets)

…"Mets postseason lore is thick with unforgettable performances and signature moments. Most are of the individual variety — think of Tommie Agee, Ron Swoboda, Mookie Wilson — that propelled them to the ultimate team goal of a world championship.

There is nothing yet from the Mets’ joyous, if sometimes bumpy, ride through this postseason to match their forebears. But if they can again buck the odds and defeat St. Louis in Game 7 of the National League Championship Series tonight, names like John Maine and Paul Lo Duca will be on their way toward immortality.

On the brink of elimination, the Mets defeated the Cardinals, 4-2, in Game 6 at Shea Stadium last night because of many reasons. But the biggest of all was because Maine, a rookie, outdueled the Cardinals’ ace, Chris Carpenter, in the biggest start of his young career."

• If you are a fan of the game of baseball, this is great stuff.
  • If you are a fan of the Mets, its even better.
  • If you are a fan of the 49ers, it is amazing, because you are watching a story that Charlotte media has to cover.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;193271]If you are a fan of the game of baseball, this is great stuff.

• If you are a fan of the Mets, its even better.
  • If you are a fan of the 49ers, it is amazing, because you are watching a story that Charlotte media has to cover.[/QUOTE]

Best sports page ever because of the combination of stories. That’s all i was saying.

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;193246]just FYI, weights are most recent from practice this week.[/QUOTE]

Jim, did your comments on each player come from observation, talking with coaches, or both? Surprised by Carlos being described as a good 3 pt shooter, shoot-first, pass second type of guy.

Thanking them for doing their job ??

Field Culbreath is NOT umpiring his first LCS. Also, he did umpire in this summer’s All Star Game. Nice story…but its 'bout damn time they woke up and realized the connection to Charlotte.

As far as the Maine story, that’s an incredibly obvious story to print. no rocket science on this one. Any sports department in America could figure out that it deserved Page 1 (as well as the fact that Maine was one of 2 possible story lines).

If 49ers Basketball Madness can’t get a page 1 on a CHARLOTTE SPORTS PAGE…Bobby Lutz should be given permission to destroy the Observer sports department.

Thanking them for this is like thanking “John Doe” for showing up at his desk this morning.

Come on… You have to give credit where/when it’s due…
They are doing a good job.

GREAT JOB ON THE SPORTS SECTION TODAY! ME LIKES! :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;193291] Surprised by Carlos being described as a good 3 pt shooter, shoot-first, pass second type of guy.[/QUOTE]

You read it wrong. Says he’s “quick to opt for a pass instead.”

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;193289]Best sports page ever because of the combination of stories. That’s all i was saying.[/QUOTE]

Valid point…and it makes sense.

[QUOTE]Come on… You have to give credit where/when it’s due…
They are doing a good job.[/QUOTE]

The game 6 story & basketball madness story were obvious “no brainer” stories. To put it in baseball terms, those were pitches that even this broken-down body could’ve gotten an extra base hit off of.

The Culbreath story was well written (Mr. Utter, I hope you are listening). However, I find the timing rather odd. IMO, umpiring an All Star game or a World Series would be the ultimate in that profession. Given…

1. how slow the sports schedule typically is in mid July

AND

1. how certain Charlotte print professionals like to focus on the Carolinas (Culbreath lives in Spartanburg)

this would’ve been an impressive story (& deserving kudos) if it appeared during All Star week.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;193252]Thanking them for doing their job ??

Thanking them for this is like thanking “John Doe” for showing up at his desk this morning.[/QUOTE]

As most business owners and manager already know, sometimes you do have to thank John Doe for showing up at his desk. It can go a long ways.
Props to the Observer and yes it did absolutley deserve the front page coverage.