Biggest Issues/Concerns After 2 Games

[QUOTE=X-49er;198294]I seem to remember a guy named Basden that was a Lutz recruit. I think he was CUSA Defensive Player of the Year one season. He would have won it the next year also, but he upgraded to CUSA Player of the Year.[/QUOTE]

Eddie was C-USA Defensive POY two years running (Jr. and Sr.) and added C-USA POY to his resume during his senior season.

My 2 cents:

First of all, it is not a good comparison between Carlos and Colson because comparing the two offenses is comparing apples to oranges. Colson played in a system that was designed to feed the post (Demarco) first, and work from inside out. The Lutz offense has been mostly based on perimeter scorers, and feeding them coming off screens, from different positions.

Secondly, I think we are too dependent on the perimeter offense sometimes. Twon and EJ need to get a few more touches.

Thirdly, I figured we would struggle early on against any team that may play physical against us. It always takes time for the young players to get used to D1 level physical play. Also, I knew we might struggle on defense because of lack of size, having a young team and trying to switch defenses, and once again the physical play (plus, we always suck on defense anyway :unhappy: ). Would like to see less defensive switching early in the season, until the new guys get more acclimated. One of these years here though, sometime soon, we really need to learn to play defense. This is one of the main reasons we cannot make a deep run in the tournament, because we can not get a stop when we need one, on a consistant basis.

[QUOTE=ice_cold49er;198587]I think we are too dependent on the perimeter offense sometimes. Twon and EJ need to get a few more touches.[/QUOTE]
I have become a fan of EJ this weekend, but I must say, he got the ball a lot and really had a bad tendancey himself to step out for a three or a deep jumper. I think once Phil is suited up weā€™ll see more play insideā€¦

[QUOTE=run49er;198434]Eddie was C-USA Defensive POY two years running (Jr. and Sr.) and added C-USA POY to his resume during his senior season.[/QUOTE]

I forgot that he won both. Thanks Run.

Yea of course there are going to be exceptions, I doubt there is any coach that canā€™t recruit only offensive players. I guess I made my statement a little too absoulute. Badsen was a great player and it might be a while before we see another that makes Badsen like strides during his career at Charlotte.

Now there is nothing wrong with recruiting offensive players, BUT It is the COACHING staffā€™s responsiblity to teach defense. Poor defense on a team can be placed mostly on the coach because its based on fundamentals and being able to keep focused throughout the whole defensive possession. Granted we need Phil Jones for size and that size is going to hopefully help overall defense, but Phil Jones isnā€™t going to be guarding people on the perimeter. Open Jump shots are uncalled for (especially open Treys) and it the responsiblity of Lutz & Co. to teach the team a concept of team defense & while I think about it Team offense as well. One player going down jacking up 3ā€™s doesnā€™t win consistently, and if our offense stays this way this year much like it did last year, we will be in for (yet again) many letdowns.

I have become a fan of EJ this weekend, but I must say, he got the ball a lot and really had a bad tendancey himself to step out for a three or a deep jumper. I think once Phil is suited up we'll see more play inside...

Well, thatā€™s one fanā€¦Iā€™m joking, I like his heart.

But seriously, EJ kept shooting the outside shot both games. He would work hard on the inside, but someone give him the red light from outside 15 feet. He could be the first player to have at least 3 threes a game and not hit a single one.

And my thoughtsā€¦ we are just not ready to compete for quite awhile this year. It could be february before this team comes together. There were way too many times switches on defense were lost so two guys covered the player without the ball.

And I hate to say it, but I think Courtney will still get pushed around this year. He needs to get ā€œRodmanā€ vicious in his defense. As for Coleman, I wish he had more ups for finishing ability. He is going to foul out of alot of games this year. I think Big Phil will be vital to even hope to make the NIT this year. The fact is Courtney and Coleman are sometimes just too small to play the post. For example, 32 for NTU would post with one foot in the paint. Courtney would basically get thrown around when he tried to post. One time, Courtney posted not more than 3 feet from the guard trying to feed him. Coleman had some good post ups, but he only has a hook. He canā€™t breakdown anyone for a dunk. If teams shade him to his right hand, Coleman could lose the ability to shoot the hook. Soā€¦you canā€™t play much inside out when you donā€™t have an inside to go to. And the fact of this year is, if Phil isnā€™t able to fill a rebounding hole, we are just going to be bad rebounders. Thus, if we hit threeā€™s, we win, if not, we donā€™t.

And for people criticizing Carlos, heā€™s the most exciting guy to watch. Iā€™d rather see the offense run through him than Deā€™Angelo. Carlos is exciting, flat out. He may look sloppy and ragged sometimes, but you know what? Heā€™ll be here next year when this group could be good, not Deā€™Angelo.

God, I feel like I sound like KTown last year.

My 2 cents:

First of all, it is not a good comparison between Carlos and Colson because comparing the two offenses is comparing apples to oranges. Colson played in a system that was designed to feed the post (Demarco) first, and work from inside out. The Lutz offense has been mostly based on perimeter scorers, and feeding them coming off screens, from different positions.

Thanks. Iā€™ve been trying to make this point for a couple of years. Many people like to ignore or forget the fact that Colson was not only a selfish player but a marginal shooter at best when he came here. Melvin made him a pass first PG. Demarcoā€™s post game gave him the opportunity to have wide open threes. Note, Sean may be the quickest player we have ever had.

Does anyone else think we are a step slow, and an inch short on the arm length? Seems to me.
Yes.

More reason not to feel so bad after NT: BC lost to Vermont at home and didnt even play back to back games. Vermontā€™s RPI was 211 last year. North Texasā€™s was 208.