Biggest Issues/Concerns After 2 Games

Pretty obvious but…

Game 1 - 44%FG allowed (51% in 2nd Half)
Game 2 - 54%FG allowed
Game 1 - 9 total assists
Game 2 - 6 total assists

• Defense - is as bad as we had feared. A ton of open looks in BOTH games

• Where is this unselfish team I heard of? We are averaging less than 8 assists per game while averaging 80pts?!?!

• Where is this great PG we heard of? Again, no more Colson references…please…stop it…not even close.

• I love Ian but he gets lost on EVERY defensive possession.

• When did DA turn into Demon Brown? Dribble for 15secs then jack up a 3!? There is a fine line between stepping up and being a leader and just flat out being a little selfish (or untrusting of your teammates).

• Anybody else realize that thru 2 games, Twon & Courtney are 8-10 from the floor?? (the box score for today missed a FG for Courtney somehow but I remember him backing down and making a short half-hook…but if you go by the actual box score they are still a combined 7-10).

I say put a little more TRUST in the big guys and let them operate!!

Frustrating.

It’s early and most of the kids have no clue what there role is right now…will be a lot of ups and downs this year.

We left them open and they drilled shots the entire game. Our offense wasn’t sharp, too much one on one stuff. Lacked energy. I’d like to think we could have handled them if we had a few days to prepare/recover. We got crushed, though. It’s a long season. Need one vs Syracuse or Indiana. Maybe Big Phil will make a difference.

I agree on the Twon and Court thing. If we can get some big men points when our shot is off, it might be enough to bring the momentum back.

today, they shot 70% when you combine 3’s and FT’s together. With 52 shots, 3’s + FT’s. Pretty amazing. That is about as good as you can shoot the ball.

They scored 62 points with those shots.

Agree about Ian. He hasn’t proven he can guard a wet rag at this point. I like the kid and he has a pure shot but he gets burnt on virtually every defensive possession.

And I agree about Carlos as well. I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt this early in the season but I saw Colson in person every year he played at Charlotte and that comparison simply cannot be made at this point. But I’ve seen some positive things from Carlos that at least have me feeling optimistic about his growth. But we need him to develop sooner than later or we’ll have to go back to Lee running point, which I’m not too crazy about.

I think that this team can vastly improve in many areas but I just have some major concerns with defense. That’s been a big weakness for us over the years and I have yet to see anything to make me believe that will change. If we continue to play poor defense, we’ll have to shoot lights out to win games. And that’s not something you can depend on every game.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;198243]Agree about Ian. He hasn’t proven he can guard a wet rag at this point. I like the kid and he has a pure shot but he gets burnt on virtually every defensive possession.
[/QUOTE]

agree. he looked completely lost a couple of times. i like him but he scares me on d.

Agree about Ian. He hasn't proven he can guard a wet rag at this point. I like the kid and he has a pure shot but he gets burnt on virtually every defensive possession.

And I agree about Carlos as well. I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt this early in the season but I saw Colson in person every year he played at Charlotte and that comparison simply cannot be made at this point. But I’ve seen some positive things from Carlos that at least have me feeling optimistic about his growth. But we need him to develop sooner than later or we’ll have to go back to Lee running point, which I’m not too crazy about.

I think that this team can vastly improve in many areas but I just have some major concerns with defense. That’s been a big weakness for us over the years and I have yet to see anything to make me believe that will change. If we continue to play poor defense, we’ll have to shoot lights out to win games. And that’s not something you can depend on every game.

he was forced to guard that guy from hofstra that was up for the wooden award. he shut him down pretty decently when he guarded him. i consider that good.

he was forced to guard that guy from hofstra that was up for the wooden award. he shut him down pretty decently when he guarded him. i consider that good.

Did you check the boxscore? Last time I did, Stokes led all scorers. We didn’t put a single guy on him that could effectively shut him down. If you think Ian plays good defense, you need to go rent some DVD’s on fundamental basketball. Everytime I’ve seen him on defense, his guy is no fewer than 2 steps ahead of him.

Where the hell was Jamison?

You have one guy on your team whose role is to be a lock-down defender. His legs were fresh and his defense was needed. I don’t get it.

[QUOTE=survivor45;198261]Where the hell was Jamison?

You have one guy on your team whose role is to be a lock-down defender. His legs were fresh and his defense was needed. I don’t get it.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. Jamison should be used to guard the perimeter. Those guys were 6’4" athletic guards and Jamison was fresh. He needs to get DA’s backup minutes and a few more.

I said it last night and I will say it again Ian is not ready no matter how much everyone wants it for him and all the hours in the gym are not going to make him any more athletic or two steps quicker.

North Texas State was a much better team today. That is the bottom line. We need some help or a miracle inside. Do you guys realize that besides DeAngelo NTS players down to the scrubs were bigger, stronger, quicker and overall much more athletic. This means a team picked to finish 2nd in the SUNBELT is bigger, stronger and more athletic than us.

This game worries me because our guys finally played against a big physcial D1 defense and we fell apart. All one on one and desperation shots.

15 assists in two games tells a lot about our offense.

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;198246]agree. he looked completely lost a couple of times. i like him but he scares me on d.[/QUOTE]

There was at least one ocassion when Coach went crazy on Lee because Ian switched (apparently correctly) and Lee didn’t. Coach said something to the effect “He can’t cover both guys!!”

[QUOTE=survivor45;198261]Where the hell was Jamison?

You have one guy on your team whose role is to be a lock-down defender. His legs were fresh and his defense was needed. I don’t get it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I’ve got the answer. Jamsion isn’t a 3pt shooter which = not many minutes. Yea it is confusing considering other teams play defensive stoppers solely for shutting down the other team’s best player. Unfornately Bobby doesn’t believe in Defense. Maybe that’s the reason we can never recruit any players out of HS known for the defense.

Go figure.

Jamison is a good defender, but there has been no offense from him since he’s been here, even when he’s had the opportunities. He would play more if he could produce some points. If we had Big Phil available, I think we could move EJ out to the 3 when DA needed a breather. As it is, Twan and Court are needed for the 5 because neither can play for long periods of time. I have not been at practice, but I suppose Dewhurst has been better there because he has seen the backup minutes at the 3 thus far. If he does not start scoring some though, I think JJ will get those minutes.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;198288]Oh, I’ve got the answer. Jamsion isn’t a 3pt shooter which = not many minutes. Yea it is confusing considering other teams play defensive stoppers solely for shutting down the other team’s best player. Unfornately Bobby doesn’t believe in Defense. Maybe that’s the reason we can never recruit any players out of HS known for the defense.
Go figure.[/QUOTE]

Other defensive stoppers can usually hit an open shot and keep their defender honest. Jamison has not shown that yet. I seem to remember a guy named Basden that was a Lutz recruit. I think he was CUSA Defensive Player of the Year one season. He would have won it the next year also, but he upgraded to CUSA Player of the Year. Eddie was pretty good. Don’t forget about Cam Stephens, either. The guy was a warrior and a great defensive player. Jermaine Williams became a good defensive player as well. Didn’t score much, but held opposing centers in check and became a good rebounder his senior year. I think Courtney was brought in for the same reason, but he hasn’t become that player yet.

Yesterday we had a team playing together …today at times it seemed we were back to five guys wearing the same colors. I saw a few times where an assist was in order but it was bombs away (pun intended). I like this group of players …if the heros can stay home and team members show up we will have a great year. Obviously they were not as fresh as yesterday. I wonder if N.Texas players were in the stands watching on Saturday? Hope we get some good news this week …that will help set the stage for the season.

The saddest thing about today’s game against NTS, is that based on the talent that was on the floor today, if we played them 5 times they would win atleast 3. We have got to stop the “one man” show that we seem to get into on offense. Carlos looked totaly different running the offense today and DA does not have to shoot everytime he gets the ball.

My observation after 2 games.

We won the hofstra game, great win, but I was not too impressed. Not a lot of assists, a lot of the shots we took were 1 vs 1 and luckly our shots were falling and we hit our free throws to ice the game.

NTS game - We were pretty much doing the same thing except our shots weren’t falling and I think we need to hit more free throws. 70% isn’t too bad, but still needs improve. Also, I can’t recall how many crazy/wild shots they took with our men in front of their face and they still hit it. They got real lucky on quiet a lot of points in my opinion.

Charles Dehurst - He needs to play more minutes. I know he lost the ball while dribbling near the end of the game, but I wouldn’t judge a player base on that single mistake especially when he is a freshmen, however he did show a lot of potential and he is capable of both defense and scoring. I want to see him play more minutes.

Carlos - His assist will be a lot higher if other guys can catch/finish his passes, but his dribbling scares me sometimes.

Ian - He moves well without the ball, but he scares me on defense, however, I think it’ll improve as the season goes on, again he is still just a freshmen so I don’t expect him to do everything perfect.

Courtney - Has the size and I “think” he has the strength, but I don’t know why, he plays like he is scared in the post. I think he needs stronger mentality.

EJ needs to stop trying lean on the opponent without looking back, sometimes they are not there and he’ll lose his balance. I saw him did this many times in the game.

Please stop the one on one street ball style and play more team ball with defense, amen.
I work with a Dook fan and a Tarhole fan, not looking forward to go to work on Monday. :frowning:

Oh, I've got the answer. Jamsion isn't a 3pt shooter which = not many minutes. Yea it is confusing considering other teams play defensive stoppers solely for shutting down the other team's best player. Unfornately Bobby doesn't believe in Defense. Maybe that's the reason we can never recruit any players out of HS known for the defense.

Go figure.

Eddie Basden?

Did you check the boxscore? Last time I did, Stokes led all scorers. We didn't put a single guy on him that could effectively shut him down. If you think Ian plays good defense, you need to go rent some DVD's on fundamental basketball. Everytime I've seen him on defense, his guy is no fewer than 2 steps ahead of him.
That's because he is slow.

Does anyone else think we are a step slow, and an inch short on the arm length? Seems to me.