Biggest Tourney Selection Snub and Mistake?

I pick [COLOR=Blue]Air Force[/COLOR] as the biggest snub. Until I looked at their schedule on KenPom, I didn’t realize that they lost their last 4 games, so I assume that’s why they got snubbed. Nevertheless, a [B]#30 RPI [/B]and decisive non-conference victories over at large teams Stanford (RPI=65) and Texas Tech (RPI=53) should have gotten them in ahead of those teams. Maybe a flyby of the NCAA Headquarters is warranted.

For biggest mistake, gotta be [COLOR=DarkRed]Stanford[/COLOR]. A #65 RPI and they get an at-large bid? :wacko: :huhsign: They’re not even one of the 64 best teams, let alone one of the top 34 at-large teams. The only decent non-coference win came on the road at Virginia (#55 RPI). The only good thing you can say about them is that they did not lose to any teams outside the Top 100 of the RPI.

I pick [COLOR=Blue]Air Force[/COLOR] as the biggest snub.

nobody in that room who was picking the teams wanted to play Air Force. Plain and simple. B/c of style of play and execution they could about beat anyone on any night when they are on.

I have a lot of issues with this year’s selections. I think the committee really screwed up with several teams. For starters, I just can’t believe Syracuse got snubbed. And it’s not so much that I have a problem with it if you look solely at Syracuse. But when you look at some of the at-large invites that got in over them, it’s absurd. Old Dominion? Arkansas? Illinois? I also think Drexel got jobbed. If you look at the teams they beat, especially on the road, it’s hard to believe they’re in the NIT.

And then I have a huge problem with seedings. How are teams like Kentucky and Virginia seeded so well??? Virginia has lost their last four games that weren’t on their homecourt but get rewarded with a FOUR??? Most overrated 4 seed in the field by far. You cannot tell me that Virginia should have the same seed as Texas! What a joke! And Kentucky was supposedly one of the “last four in” yet they get an 8-seed?? How is that possible? I can tell you how. It’s because anyone who doubts that the committee favors certain teams, conferences and potential matchups, is crazy. No doubt in my mind that the committe/networks wanted a potential Kansas/UK matchup. Any shock that UNC and Michigan State could meet in the 2nd round? Happens ever year.

And how’d you like to be Texas A&M? You kick butt all year and get rewarded by what will essentially be a home game for Louisville in the 2nd round. And if Winthrop does squeak by ND (doubt it), they get to face Oregon who will be playing about 45 minutes from their home court.

Syracuse was a big one. I was shocked!

Boeheim sounded as if he was going to cry last night on the Bracketology show. He was whining that their non-conference schedule was tough, and that it wasn’t their fault OSU stunk it up at the end of the year. We played a tougher non-conference schedule than Syracuse, and many of our fans were whining about our schedule being full of nobodies. If Syracuse’s non-conference schedule was “tough”, then ours was impossible.:rolleyes:

The love affair continues with Duke managing a 6 seed after losing their last three on a late season slide.

Yeah duke lost all those games… and NCSU won all those games. Did NCSU have some wicked bad loses or something?

[QUOTE=jcl49er;224091]I have a lot of issues with this year’s selections. I think the committee really screwed up with several teams. For starters, I just can’t believe Syracuse got snubbed. And it’s not so much that I have a problem with it if you look solely at Syracuse. But when you look at some of the at-large invites that got in over them, it’s absurd. Old Dominion? Arkansas? Illinois? I also think Drexel got jobbed. If you look at the teams they beat, especially on the road, it’s hard to believe they’re in the NIT.

And then I have a huge problem with seedings. How are teams like Kentucky and Virginia seeded so well??? Virginia has lost their last four games that weren’t on their homecourt but get rewarded with a FOUR??? Most overrated 4 seed in the field by far. You cannot tell me that Virginia should have the same seed as Texas! What a joke! And Kentucky was supposedly one of the “last four in” yet they get an 8-seed?? How is that possible? I can tell you how. It’s because anyone who doubts that the committee favors certain teams, conferences and potential matchups, is crazy. No doubt in my mind that the committe/networks wanted a potential Kansas/UK matchup. Any shock that UNC and Michigan State could meet in the 2nd round? Happens ever year.

And how’d you like to be Texas A&M? You kick butt all year and get rewarded by what will essentially be a home game for Louisville in the 2nd round. And if Winthrop does squeak by ND (doubt it), they get to face Oregon who will be playing about 45 minutes from their home court.[/QUOTE]

Stole my thunder. DAMNIT WHAT JCL SAID!!! :biggrin:

I also feel like the tourney is setup for the mid majors to get out asap. Between the lowest # of mid major invites in years, the pairings, and unjustified reward seating of some mediocre high major teams, this year feels like a consolidation of power for the BC$.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;224108]Yeah duke lost all those games… and NCSU won all those games. Did NCSU have some wicked bad loses or something?[/QUOTE]

Yeah State was going to have to win the conference tournament to get in, no doubt. FSU and Clemson were ahead of them as well. Great run for state but thats all.

Duke, Virginia, etc were WAY overseeded. They buy into the ACC hype every year. The ACC was a very good conference this year, but these are very average teams. Should have been slotted in the 7/8/9 range. Virginia Tech as well.

Maybe it all has to do with money?

Duke, Virginia, etc were WAY overseeded. They buy into the ACC hype every year. The ACC was a very good conference this year, but these are very average teams. Should have been slotted in the 7/8/9 range. Virginia Tech as well.

Never was this proven more than by GTech getting an at large bid. Absolute garbage. Cuse or Drexel should have gotten that bid.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;224091]IVirginia has lost their last four games that weren’t on their homecourt but get rewarded with a FOUR??? Most overrated 4 seed in the field by far. You cannot tell me that Virginia should have the same seed as Texas! What a joke! [/QUOTE]

But wait!!! Didn’t UVA finish 2nd in the acc? Doesn’t that mean they should have a ONE or TWO seed in the big dance? :rolleyes:

If you read the Observer you would know stuff like that. :wink:

Also, Duke getting a 6 seed is a big joke.

And, I agree that Stanford getting a bid is another big joke.

anyone notice how the chairman of the selection committee was on ESPN saying, “if people are complaining that we have too many major schools in the tourny AND people are complaining about having too many mid majors, i think we’ve hit the sweet spot.”

anyone else disagree with his assessment? i don’t think you’ve hit the sweet spot when EVERYONE is complaining.

[QUOTE=ninerball49;224206]anyone notice how the chairman of the selection committee was on ESPN saying, “if people are complaining that we have too many major schools in the tourny AND people are complaining about having too many mid majors, i think we’ve hit the sweet spot.”

anyone else disagree with his assessment? i don’t think you’ve hit the sweet spot when EVERYONE is complaining.[/QUOTE]

LOL…yea…I guess the goal is to just piss everyone off!

Kansas State got snubbed…

j/k :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=MKNiner;224140]Never was this proven more than by GTech getting an at large bid. Absolute garbage. Cuse or Drexel should have gotten that bid.[/QUOTE]

Message to Syracuse. Try an OOC road game once in 10 years or so.

Message to Drexel. Win the games you’re supposed to. Didn’t they also lose twice to ODU?

Syracuse played one non-con game at #276 Canisius.
They opened their season on November 10th and played their first game out of the state of NY on January, 7th.

Mix in a couple of road OOC road game wins and then you can whine.

Tintin

Yea. We were robbed too. I thought our win over Hofstra sealed our bid.