Billy Packer fired from CBS

I don’t like people losing their jobs, but the guy was terrible

[URL]http://www.miamiherald.com/626/story/603901.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]Packer’s streak of working as the color analyst at every championship game since 1977 (and being a part of every Final Four broadcast since 1975) ranks among the most remarkable in network TV sports history.[/QUOTE]

I don’t see anything remarkable about this…other than the fact he conned people into thinking he was a credible broadcaster for that many years.

Now if we can just get someone to open their eyes and/or ears to get that trainwreck, known as Mark Packer, off the airwaves.

I got in my car the other day and the radio was on 610AM from an earlier show. This discussion on Crimetime with the Packman was Nebraska football.

Who gives a damn about Nebraska football??

Dont like to see anyone lose their job, but he had dodged this bullet for years.

[QUOTE=ninerID;329104]I don’t like people losing their jobs, but the guy was terrible

[URL]http://www.miamiherald.com/626/story/603901.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

clt says yes! what took so damn long?

Dont like to see anyone lose their job, but he had dodged this bullet for years.

that notion is a tad silly…

I agree none of us like to see the common man lose a job- even if you hate them. But Packer has made gazillions of dollars at CBS, he was in it for his ego- not because he needs a paycheck.

I am glad they canned his ACC jocksniffing ass. Can’t wait to hear his son spin it.

This one will be interesting to watch. I’m no Clark Kellogg fan but he’s got to be better than Packer. I suppose BP will want the old ACC gig back and try to get on every broadcast. Maybe it will become the Packer & Packer show on WFNZ.

Or perhaps he will become the color guy for 49ers basketball… [B][SIZE=3]NOT![/SIZE][/B]

[QUOTE=HP49er;329112]Or perhaps he will become the color guy for 49ers basketball… [B][SIZE=3]NOT![/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]
The combination of Matt AND Packer both complaining about the refs would be enough to make my head explode.

Good riddance. The dude was awful.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;329115]The combination of Matt AND Packer both complaining about the refs would be enough to make my head explode.

Good riddance. The dude was awful.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that Packer would be complaining about the opponent’s bad calls, not ours. :ohmy: Good riddance, Billy!! Should have happened 10 years ago when he started getting over the hill instead of when he reached the bottom. Hopefully, I won’t have to hear him during a broadcast this coming year. Sadly, I’m sure ESPN or FSN will hire him because he so “experienced”.

I know there aren’t many Billy Packer fans on this board (or in general ha), and he was probably way past his prime and had a huge ego, but…

his call of the Memphis / Kansas game was really really good. He knew what he was talking about, made excellent observations in the game play and the rules, especially the play with Rose where he knew the rule that was very obscure. Most people talked that it was going to be his last game, so he made it his best. I think people thought he was going to retire though, not get fired.

What it really comes down to is there are not many good sports analysts, play by play guys anymore, in all sports.

Bob Costas is the best in the business.

Oh…darn. Hate that. Really, hate that. Wait…I’m feeilng a tear come on…here it comes…nope.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;329123]Oh…darn. Hate that. Really, hate that. Wait…I’m feeilng a tear come on…here it comes…nope.[/QUOTE]

WINNAR :lmao:

From what I read he didn’t get fired, they parted ways. Maybe, behind the scenes he was, but the notion he has been re-upping one year contracts for sometime now means he knew he was on the way out. I’m not protecting him, he has been horrendous the past number of years, and his arrogance is legendary, but I never read he was fired, but I’m not going to miss him either way.

The feud he had with Martelli a few years ago still sticks out in my mind. If I recall correctly most of the St Joes players said they didn’t even know who Billy Packer was.

News14.com has a [URL=https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5848039778804768871&postID=900749795938194205][COLOR=blue]blog up [/COLOR][/URL]where people can leave their thoughts about Billy Packer.

This took this long?? This fool’s ass should have been canned long ago. What a tool. Thank god.

Mark Packer needs to be next, Fudge Packers should be eliminated from Sports.

The feud he had with Martelli a few years ago still sticks out in my mind.
Mine too. As a matter of fact, I just mentioned that episode earlier tonight to a couple of other board members tonight at the Grady Cole Center. I think Packer's popularity started plummeting downhill then and he never realized his stubborness and love affair with the BCS schools pissed off too many people. Then, when proven wrong about the Martelli statement, he seemed more determined to prove his point than to give unbiased commentary on the games.

I also heard mark mentioned his dad’s “retirement” today. Yea, right. I may be mistaken, but I never felt Packer (either one of them) was exactly a supporter of the hometown team.

awesome

Supposedly BP already has a new gig lined up.