Board of Governors eliminates 46 degree programs across UNC system

[font=lato][size=16px]UNC-Charlotte: [/size][/font][font=lato][size=16px]Child and Family Development; Special Education, Adapted Curriculum; English Education; Mathematics Education[/size][/font]

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2015/05/board-of-governors-eliminates-46-degree-programs-across-unc-system

Sorry education…you are not important.

there are simply too many degrees. My sister got her degree at UNC Charlotte, was a math teacher at a high school. Her degree wasn’t in “Mathematics Education”.

We’ll close these degrees and probably not one student will be turned way. This is just simplification I would imagine.

Discontinued degree programs effective Fall 2015:

B.A. in Child and Family Studies, Early Education

M.Ed. in Special Education, Adapted Curriculum

Discontinued degree programs effective Fall 2016:

M.A. in Mathematics Education (will be offered as a concentration within M.S. in Mathematics)

M.A. in English Education (will be offered as a concentration within M.A. in English)

part of the republican plan. voter registration and none of the ‘little people’ can vote. then eliminate education and they’ll have it for sure! :stuck_out_tongue: 8)

clt asks a serious question

why didnt the uncc chapel hill AFAM program get cut?

[quote=“cltniners, post:6, topic:29625”]clt asks a serious question

why didnt the uncc chapel hill AFAM program get cut?[/quote]

Because it produces results:

[quote=“ninerID, post:3, topic:29625”]there are simply too many degrees. My sister got her degree at UNC Charlotte, was a math teacher at a high school. Her degree wasn’t in “Mathematics Education”.

We’ll close these degrees and probably not one student will be turned way. This is just simplification I would imagine.[/quote]

But only 1 was cut from UNC-CH…

[quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:29625”]Discontinued degree programs effective Fall 2015:

B.A. in Child and Family Studies, Early Education

M.Ed. in Special Education, Adapted Curriculum

Discontinued degree programs effective Fall 2016:

M.A. in Mathematics Education (will be offered as a concentration within M.S. in Mathematics)

M.A. in English Education (will be offered as a concentration within M.A. in English)[/quote]

I actually think all that looks fine, no reason those should be separate degrees anyway as far as my lay person eyes can see.

The MED in Special Education is the only one that jumps out at me. Seems to be a valuable degree and probably underserved in education but maybe I am wrong.

Maybe I’m wrong. I interpreted it as being not just a Masters of Education in Special Education, but specifically a degree in the adaptive curriculum. Might be more specific than we need.

Maybe I’m wrong. I interpreted it as being not just a Masters of Education in Special Education, but specifically a degree in the adaptive curriculum. Might be more specific than we need.[/quote]

AH good point and I dont know that much about the field.

We don’t need no education!
We don’t need no thoughts control. :))

So what exactly is the point of cutting these degrees?
None of them seem like “Underwater basket weaving” types (or AFAM for that matter)

My personal favorite comment “Ah, if we could just cut the micro-management program” ;D

I hope more people show concern and anger about both parties in our state seeming fine with allowing a foreign entity to tax us for using our roads, restrict and govern our improvements to those roads; roads that were alteady paid for, or should have been paid for by our excessively high gasoline tax.

clt adds this: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/special-reports/checks-without-balances/article10211189.html

[quote=“4ever niner, post:14, topic:29625”]So what exactly is the point of cutting these degrees?
None of them seem like “Underwater basket weaving” types (or AFAM for that matter)

My personal favorite comment “Ah, if we could just cut the micro-management program” ;D[/quote]

I am sure this is just the beginning.

All part of the republican anti state education agenda.

They will keep stripping away and stripping away as much as they can each year without causing too many people to get up in arms.

It’s all part of the same attitude that creates ideas like the school voucher programs, political interference in education curriculum (see Texas and Kansas), etc.

Please look at the entire list and you will notice it’s almost all education and art degrees and the arts.

The current people in power don’t see much value in education so why support it.

As an earlier poster mentioned, theses are the same geniuses that are bringing us a beautiful new toll lane on 77 that will be managed by a foreign company who will take that profit right out of the state.

Privatize it all, outsource it all.

Get more kickbacks.

Sorry to make it political guys.

But that’s the way I see it.

I’m a conservitive guy.

I grew up in a conservative family.

But I don’t know who the fuck these people are.

[quote=“Gassman, post:17, topic:29625”][quote=“4ever niner, post:14, topic:29625”]So what exactly is the point of cutting these degrees?

My personal favorite comment “Ah, if we could just cut the micro-management program” ;D[/quote]

I am sure this is just the beginning.

All part of the republican anti state education agenda.

They will keep stripping away and stripping away as much as they can each year without causing too many people to get up in arms.

It’s all part of the same attitude that creates ideas like the school voucher programs, political interference in education curriculum (see Texas and Kansas), etc.

Please look at the entire list and you will notice it’s almost all education and art degrees and the arts.

The current people in power don’t see much value in education so why support it.

As an earlier poster mentioned, theses are the same geniuses that are bringing us a beautiful new toll lane on 77 that will be managed by a foreign company who will take that profit right out of the state.

Privatize it all, outsource it all.

Get more kickbacks.

Sorry to make it political guys.

But that’s the way I see it.

I’m a conservitive guy.

I grew up in a conservative family.

But I don’t know who the f*** these people are.[/quote] Ah well, I knew it was political BS, but I didn’t want to open that can o’ worms.
I’m with you on the word “conservative”. I don’t know what word describes our current state gov’t, but “conservative” is too positive a label to fit these guys.

Voter ID laws, if that is what was being referenced, is so that no person can vote more than once, or without being legal citizens. As for the other issue, Mayor Pat said he would cut some education program funding and fund more that is more or less science and engineering related. This is no shocker to me, but only one program from UNC CHA CHA CHA is another obvious jab, especially given their current education issues. Had it been us with the constant bad-press for bad-education, we would have been punished as an “example”. I do believe there is a big difference in being pro-state and pro-state-government, just like being anti-state and anti-state-government. Cutting government spending is not anti-state in my opinion. Giving our money, representation and freedom to a foreign entity cannot get anymore anti-state, which I hope is investigated in great detail by the FBI on all levels here. If there is not in-state corruption regarding this project and others, then they should have nothing to hide.

I noticed they cut AFAM at NC State but kept the program at chapel hill. Since chapel hill is striving diligently to clean up its act, it seems this would have been the perfect opportunity to score some points and suggest AFAM be removed from that school.