Bob Knight Resigns

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3230737

[QUOTE]LUBBOCK, Texas – A spokesman for Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers says men’s basketball coach Bob Knight has resigned, effective immediately.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press[/QUOTE]

WOW! Has this been brewing or is it kind of all of a sudden? I havent been hearing anything bout him resigning.

Breaks my heart. A true legend going out on his own terms. Great coach.

Wow, I would love for anyone who’s followed this closely to give some insight as to why he resigned at this point. I wasn’t always crazy about his antics but I respected the job he did as a coach.

His form in this picture suggests that he’s a fine bowler…

probably wanting to retire in Indiana, not Lubbock.

The General’s run is over.

I’ll miss the fact, that no matter how crazy he could get, he seemed to genuinely be there to coach and teach players how to play the game the right way. Hopefully, his son carries that on, b/c there are not too many coaches left like that.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;291687]I’ll miss the fact, that no matter how crazy he could get, he seemed to genuinely be there to coach and teach players how to play the game the right way. Hopefully, his son carries that on, b/c there are not too many coaches left like that.[/QUOTE] Agreed.

Whether you like him or despise him, I think everyone has to agree college basketball will sure miss him.

He def is the gold standard of college coaches…whether you love or hate him.

I'll miss the fact, that no matter how crazy he could get, he seemed to genuinely be there to coach and teach players how to play the game the right way. Hopefully, his son carries that on, b/c there are not too many coaches left like that.
his press conferences got crazier and crazier... but doesn't it look bad at him for retiring mid-season??? I know he said it would be best but I think it's a lttle ****ed up. Not taking away from his great career at all. He was an awesome entertainer as well as a hall of fame coach. Just questioning his decision.

I hope there’s not some medical reason behind this decision.

I hope there's not some medical reason behind this decision.
said there wasn't but to be honest, somethings not quite right with Knight, just a little at least. If not anything major, maybe sippin on great grandma's cough medicine. But hope there isn't. He loves his grandkids we know that.

Yoda or Dax… awesome video in sig

[IMG]http://assets.espn.go.com/i/classic/0913/a_knight_t.jpg[/IMG]

His form in this picture suggests that he’s a fine bowler…

for how he will be remembered… I wish Lutz would do this some game this year.

[QUOTE=cibik02;291703]Yoda or Dax… awesome video in sig[/QUOTE]

thanks a friend of mine posted it on another message board and i thought the gif was pretty funny.

one of the top 3 coaches of all time (with Wooden and Dean Smith)…i was a big fan of his

i know this probably isnt the place… but does anyone else think that bobbys shoes at teh game should earn him legendary status? them things was flyyyy

seriously though - bob knight will be missed on the floor… good coach, good entertainer

Way to quit on your team, Bobby. This from the guy that preached teamwork so much that he tried to headbutt and choke it into his players, yet it’s okay for him to quit mid-season because “it’s best”? Good riddance.

Here’s a nice summary of the “legendary” coach’s intolerable actions:

[B]July 1979[/B] – Arrested in Puerto Rico, charged with assaulting a police officer; convicted in absentia in August.

[B]1980[/B] – Fires a starting pistol at postgame news conference to startle a Louisville newspaper reporter.

[B]Feb. 23, 1985[/B] – Throws a chair across the floor during a loss to Purdue. Three technical fouls, ejection from the game, and national attention.

[B]April 25, 1988[/B] – Provokes outrage during an NBC interview with Connie Chung. In describing the experience of losing, he said, “[B]I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it[/B].”

[B]March 25, 1992[/B] – Knight pretends to whip black player Calbert Cheaney, drawing national attention and protest from the local NAACP and other black leaders.

[B]Dec. 7, 1993[/B] – Pulls son Patrick from the game and appears to kick him in the leg. Crowd boos. Knight later says he kicked the chair, not his son.

[B]March 9, 1994[/B] – Butts heads with Sherron Wilkerson during a courtside huddle. Later both say it was accidental. (cough,bull$hit,cough)

[B]March 17, 1995[/B] – IU fined a record $30,000 after Knight berates an NCAA volunteer at a news conference following IU?s first-round loss to Missouri.

[B]1997[/B] - Neil Reed alleged that Knight grabbed him by the neck in a choking manner during a 1997 practice. A videotape of the incident was leaked to CNN (and showed that he was indeed choked).

[B]May 10, 2000[/B] – Jeanette Hartgraves, secretary to the IU athletics director, tells The Star she felt physically threatened by Knight in a February 1998 confrontation in which he called her a “f------ bitch” and was advancing on her in anger. Clarence Doninger, stepped in to restrain Knight. Hartgraves also told of an episode in the late 1980s in which an angry Knight flung a potted plant against a wall, shattering a ceramic pot and a glass picture frame. Hartgraves said she was showered by glass and debris but not injured.

[URL=http://www2.indystar.com/library/factfiles/people/k/knight_bob/knight.html][B][U][COLOR=Blue]Indianapolis Star: Library Factfiles - Bobby Knight[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=dancookistheman]one of the top 3 coaches of all time (with Wooden and Dean Smith)…i was a big fan of his [/QUOTE]

Knight may have as many wins as those two guys, but he has no business being mentioned with them in any other conotation. The other two guys were as classy as they come, and they did it the right way.

I can’t get the video to load, but here is the article and video link that shows Neil Reed maliciously grabbed by the throat. When I first saw the video tape I could not believe that Knight was not fired for that alone. I can only imagine what Knight’s supporters would say if he grabbed their kid like that.

[URL=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/thenetwork/news/2000/04/11/knight_cnnsi/#][B][U][COLOR=Red]CNN.com: The Knight Tape[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

Love him or hate him, the man could coach.

his post game conference this year with his 2+yr old grandson was a classic. he was teaching him how to deal with the media.

i followed the niners to the hoosier class one year in indy and it was truly amazing to see the crowd react when coach knight walked on to the floor. too bad the niners didnt get to play against them that year.