Bobby Lutz to Winthrop?

http://rockhill.wbtv.com/news/schools/71810-winthrop-axes-mens-basketball-coach-after-two-losing-seasons

I think he’d be a good fit and it’d get him back in the Charlotte area.

If I were Bobby, I’d hunker down and hope those 3 McD’s All Americans can carry me to a higher profile position next year.

This was the first thing I thought of too. Judy Rose played basketball at Winthrop and is in their Hall of Fame. He might feel like her ghost was watching him. :o

ken, you’re never gonna see your money now - Peele has no job

How much does Lutz make at NC State? I would think he makes more as head assistant then HC at Winthrop.

How high a profile school do you think Lutz can go to? It’s rare for a guy to get canned, go be an assistant and move to a higher profile gig as a HC.

I would think that his salary at NC State + the $$ we are paying him next year would be more than Winthrop would offer.

What are the odds we do not schedule Winthrop for future games if Bobby does take that position?

That would be a great move for Bobby. Winthrop’s a historically solid club and it’s close to home.

Not going to happen. Lutz is one of the best coaches in the nation and will end up at an elite basketball college

Did his getting canned here actually help his case for getting a higher profile gig? Great success in CUSA, he did OK here in the A10 and we have completely tanked since he left. And now he’s helping Gottfried rack up the blue chip recruits at NCSU.

I doubt he gets a truly high profile gig, but if he wants it I’m sure he could get a solid mid-major HC job in the southeast. He has the ties and resume to suggest he’d be great in the right situation, it would make a lot of sense for an AD to give him a serious look.

Agree! He’ll get better offers if he gets to NCAA’s 2-3 times in a row.

If NC State keeps it up, he just may…

Lutz to SC

There ya go… :o

I love how Lutz is getting all this credit for NCSU. I guess Moxley is a great coach too since he was behind Lutz during our NCAA runs. This board is great humor.

Lutz should get some credit, but at times you guys sound like he’s going to replace Calhoun at UCONN.

[quote=“2k, post:16, topic:26459”]I love how Lutz is getting all this credit for NCSU. I guess Moxley is a great coach too since he was behind Lutz during our NCAA runs. This board is great humor.

Lutz should get some credit, but at times you guys sound like he’s going to replace Calhoun at UCONN.[/quote]

And some pretend Lutz is Hal Wissel…I wonder why Bobby getting “credit” seems to bother so many. :-X

I’ve never said Bobby was Hal Wissel. Bobby did some good things here, I’ll never deny that. I’ll always think he should have done more with the talent we had in CUSA. I’ll also place the our collapse in the A10 on him.

Bobby can win if he has the right talent. He stopped getting that talent. When your offense relies on the 3pt shot and can’t consistently land shooters, the writing is on the wall.

[quote=“2k, post:18, topic:26459”]I’ve never said Bobby was Hal Wissel. Bobby did some good things here, I’ll never deny that. I’ll always think he should have done more with the talent we had in CUSA. I’ll also place the our collapse in the A10 on him.

Bobby can win if he has the right talent. He stopped getting that talent. When your offense relies on the 3pt shot and can’t consistently land shooters, the writing is on the wall.[/quote]

And no one said Bobby was gonna replace Jim Calhoun either…

He is able to motivate teams to victory, but he doesn’t seem to be able to train up lower level recruits very well. Lutz does best when he can get med-high level recruits.

He wouldn’t be able to get the recruits he needs at Winthrop. That’d be a step back. I think he’d be better off enjoying his time at NC State and then seeing what comes along.