Bobcats 2011 draft picks discussion

So the Bobcats will be picking 9, 19 and 39. NBAdraft.net has them drafting Tristan Thompson, PF Texas, at 9. Sports Illustrated has them taking Kawhi Leonard, SF San Diego St.

I agree that PF or C would be good with the first pick. Just don’t know how good of a player will be there at 9. I don’t agree with SI in taking a SF. With Jackson and Henderson, SF seems to be the position they need the least.

I think my plan would be hope that Kemba Walker will be there at 9. Then possibly take Trey Thompkins(PF Georgia), Jordan Williams(PF Maryland) or Justin Harper(PF Richmond) at 19. Then best available at 39.

If Walker is already taken then I believe they have to take a PF/C at 9, maybe Marcus Morris(PF Kansas) or Tristan Thompson. Then best available at 19 and 39.

[quote=“Normmm, post:1, topic:25415”]So the Bobcats will be picking 9, 19 and 39. NBAdraft.net has them drafting Tristan Thompson, PF Texas, at 9. Sports Illustrated has them taking Kawhi Leonard, SF San Diego St.

I agree that PF or C would be good with the first pick. Just don’t know how good of a player will be there at 9. I don’t agree with SI in taking a SF. With Jackson and Henderson, SF seems to be the position they need the least.

I think my plan would be hope that Kemba Walker will be there at 9. Then possibly take Trey Thompkins(PF Georgia), Jordan Williams(PF Maryland) or Justin Harper(PF Richmond) at 19. Then best available at 39.

If Walker is already taken then I believe they have to take a PF/C at 9, maybe Marcus Morris(PF Kansas) or Tristan Thompson. Then best available at 19 and 39.[/quote]

I think if they can get a young big man at 9 they pull the trigger. I’ve heard Jordan is high on Kemba though so get ready to groan.

At 19, I think Harper and Williams are a reach even in a down draft. Harper is more of a NBA SF, IMO, with his shooting and slighter frame. I also think Henderson is a 2G since he’s only 6’4", and Jackson is better suited to the 2G spot where his size is a benefit. So selecting a SF isn’t bad with their 19 and 39 spots, but I agree, I’d go big man at #9.

I actually like Kemba too. So it wouldn’t bother me if they took him. I’m not sold on DJ Augustin as a long term answer.

Agreed on Henderson in height. Just not sold on him either as long term answer at the 2 because of his outside shot. Basically they could upgrade at every position besides Jackson.

Also agree on Harper being a tweener. Will be interesting to see how he pans out.

Yet again, agree that Williams may be a stretch at 19. But that’s only assuming they’re able to draft Walker at 9 and that Thompkins isn’t available. If they draft Walker at 9, I think they have to draft big at 19.

I have no doubt that Harper could be as good as Channing Frye.

I don’t think Kemba will fall to the Cats, so I hope they can get Tristan Thompson. At 19, I hope we can get Tobias Harris, Chris Singleton, or Tyler Honeycutt.

Rick Bonnell makes a good point today in the Observer. The Bobcats already have Diaw, Thomas and White under contract at PF. So he feels that is their lowest need. Problem is, none of them are true post presences.

He suggests they could make a trade to get to 2, to get Cantner. I don’t think that’s a terrible idea. However, Cantner doesn’t seem to be a “lock” as a definite answer, like a Dwight Howard. So do you take that risk to move up to 2?

Kanter beat up Sullinger in the Pro Hoops Summit, so I think he’s probably the most NBA ready big guy in the draft even if he didn’t play last year.

Jan Vessley would be a nice guy to get if they cats could get him, but I again don’t think he falls.

Si had Leonard at 9 and Faried (sp?) at 19