Bobcats - expansion and amatuer drafts

Talk about it here. Who will we take from each, who should we take? Did you read Rick Bonnell’s story this weekend on the expansion draft? What did you think?

As for me, I hope we trade up and get Okafor or Howard. If not, I can live with Igoudala, but he ain’t gonna be good for at least 2 years.

I really don’t like what Bonnell said we shoul do at all.

I think that this team will not be good regardless of who we choose, so we should atleast choose some guys that will be exciting to watch. This team needs to have some guys that will bring people to the gym to watch. If we picked those guys that were in the artlicle we would have a bunch of no names.

Here is who we need that is available. The ones Bonnell didn’t choose are in bold.

G Troy Bell- Last year he was a first rounder for Memphis. He has plenty of potential and would be an exciting PG to watch.

G A. Pavlovic-He can flat out shoot and is young (20). Can’t play defense, but who cares, scoring will bring fans.

F Gerald Wallace- Sure he can’t shoot, but who cares, this guy can flat out dunk. He is still young and has time to develop if given time.

F Brandon Hunter- He is a terror on the boards when given minutes.

F Jason Kapono- Pure shooter. Cheap.

C Primoz Brezec- Young, cheap and a center. Cheap big man are hard too find. All we need is one to pan out.

C Zaza Pachilia- See above

There are others that could be picked depending on what kind of compensation we can get for them. The restricted free agents we choose will then become free agents so we are not guarenteed to get them anyways.

As far as the NBA draft goes…I saw we stay where we are and get Livingston. He is considered to be the best HSer in the draft 3 years from now. Face it, we will not win now so build with exciting young players. If we could get Okafor, then trade down, but not for Howard.

[b]I really don't like what Bonnell said we shoul do at all.

I think that this team will not be good regardless of who we choose, so we should atleast choose some guys that will be exciting to watch. This team needs to have some guys that will bring people to the gym to watch. If we picked those guys that were in the artlicle we would have a bunch of no names.[/b]

Agreed mourningwood…add to the fact that we will probably select Childress, and even our top pick is kinda un-exciting. I mean, Childress might develop into a great player, but he’s not bringing a lot of excitement to this market. Partly b/c he played on the west coast and nobody around here’s really seen him play, but also partly b/c of his game. He’s solid, but not spectacular.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Jun 21 2004, 10:26 AM [b]
[b]I really don't like what Bonnell said we shoul do at all.

I think that this team will not be good regardless of who we choose, so we should atleast choose some guys that will be exciting to watch. This team needs to have some guys that will bring people to the gym to watch. If we picked those guys that were in the artlicle we would have a bunch of no names.[/b]

Agreed mourningwood…add to the fact that we will probably select Childress, and even our top pick is kinda un-exciting. I mean, Childress might develop into a great player, but he’s not bringing a lot of excitement to this market. Partly b/c he played on the west coast and nobody around here’s really seen him play, but also partly b/c of his game. He’s solid, but not spectacular. [/b]

A combination of Okafor or Howard and Jameer Nelson would be ideal. I had heard there’s a chance the team could pick up another first round pick to get Nelson.

BTW, the Free agent period starts July 1 and guys can be signed after July 15. Rodney is an unrestricted free agent.

I like everything MW said up until picking Livingston. Why bring in all those young scorers and then saddle them with a rail thin PG with no real experience? Who’s gonna get them the ball? I’d much rather see Nelson run the team, though definitely not with the 4th pick. I understand what you’re asying about Howard, but that was said about Amare Stoudemire too. Still, I’d rather have Okafor. How about some kind of complex trade that gets us him and Nelson? Two proven college players and good character guys.

I like your expansion picks a bunch though. Give Troy Bell time. He will excel. Completely agree on getting scorers. If we’re gonna lose 60-70 games the first season, I’d rather lose 105-102 then 89-64. Know what I mean?

If Atlanta can’t trade up with the Clippers then Howard might be available at #4, and there’s no way they could pass on him. This is assuming Orlando doesn’t take him(or trade the pick to someone who will take him…), but it doesn’t look like the Clippers want him and the last thing Chicago needs is a HS big man. I think the Bulls are sold on Deng at #3, so either Livingston, Childress or the Arizona guy. I’ve heard Childress a lot, but apparently Livingston keeps getting more impressive by the day and may be hard to pass on, especially for an expansion team who won’t look to contend for a few years, getting an immediate impact guy isn’t a high priority.

I think they will go young and cheap with the expansion draft, but I wouldn’t be suprised if they did take one of the big name guys who were put up(like Stackhouse, Brian Grant or Eddie Jones…) just to put some butts in seats. They will have one exciting rookie but I think they will get at least one more big name to fill the seats. And as all of us hope, maybe Rodeny will get a fair look as a FA signing.

[b]I think they will go young and cheap with the expansion draft, but I wouldn't be suprised if they did take one of the big name guys who were put up(like Stackhouse, Brian Grant or Eddie Jones....) just to put some butts in seats. [/b]

I don’t think they will take anyone with more than one year left on there deal. Plus, they will only take someone that is not considered a ball hog and that can be look at as a mentor. To me, that guy would be Kittles. However, I don’t think they will take anyone that makes more than $5 mil a year unless they get something in return. I think those deals will be for J. White and E. Campbell.

Personally I think that Livingston will have no problem passinig the ball his first year. He will need time to develop his shooting and his own scoring. He will look to pass almost always. What concerns most is that he will get killed defensively against stronger guards (all guards). But again, we aren’t looking to win anyways, just be fun to watch.

Plus, T. Bell can run the team for the most part until Livingston is ready full time.

Howard in my opinion is more likely to be Kwame Brown then Amare Stoudamire. I just don’t really like the kid. If we can’t get Okafor, then we need Livingston.

Childress is going to be a decent player who would be great for the community, but he is not going to sell tickets.

Biggest news out of the expansion draft is they took Gerard Wallace AND Jason Kapono, which makes a Rondey White signing out of the relm of possibility now. Oh well, hopefull he’ll catch a break, any team looking for 10 ppg in 20 minutes off the bench should know where to look…

[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Jun 22 2004, 11:47 PM [b] Biggest news out of the expansion draft is they took Gerard Wallace AND Jason Kapono, which makes a Rondey White signing out of the relm of possibility now. Oh well, hopefull he'll catch a break, any team looking for 10 ppg in 20 minutes off the bench should know where to look.... [/b]
Those guys aren't starters. Rodney is certainly more athletic than Kapono. Is Wallace a 3? Rodney starts, Wallace plays the 2 and 3 and Kapono is the 7th man who provides offense off the bench.
[b]Those guys aren't starters[/b]

Maybe not, but they will be now. I think Wallace is a solid start and Jason K. has the potential(if he plays like he did the 1st year at UCLA).

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Jun 23 2004, 10:28 AM [b]
[b]Those guys aren't starters[/b]

Maybe not, but they will be now. I think Wallace is a solid start and Jason K. has the potential(if he plays like he did the 1st year at UCLA).[/b]

Exactly, I think Wallace gets a chance to start based soley on his athleticness. He will be a highlight reel and that will bring attention to the team. I agree that Rodney is better than either of those two guys, but if they’ve got 2 SF’s on their roster already, it’s not looking too good that they will want another…and then you add on Marcus Fizer who, if he stays on the team, will take some SF minutes(especially if they draft Howard).

I do think Rodney will get a shot at being a 6th or 7th man somewhere this year, I just don’t think it will be here. They turned down money and/or draft pick(s) from the Cavs in order to take Kapono, he’s locked in as their primary backup(if not starter) and I think they will expect Wallace to start.

Kapono and Wallace does not mean that they will not go after Rodney. Wallace is probably a three because of his shooting but can guard 2’s. Rodney would play 2 because he can shoot but would guard the three’s. Kapono is a jump shooter off the bench.

It looks like they are going to be able to get Okafor because the Magic are scared of his back problems.

Morningwood - Great Avatar, in fact its’ the best in Niner Nation!

Well Played… :thumbsup: