Brad Brownell (HC at Wright State)

Thought he deserved his own thread since he has been mentioned quite a bit. It has been rumored that he is interested in the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Brownell

http://www.wsuraiders.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/brownell_brad00.html

I have no idea what kind of what kind of $$ he is making at Wright State. Looks like a pretty decent candidate to me though.

He is expected to interview for the Auburn job although the Auburn message board doesn’t seem too excited about him.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=2775&t=5761242&p=1

I think he jumps to the top of my list if Rice isn’t available.

agreed. him or groce. i cant imagine why judy would settle for odom when we should be able to either get bronwell or kelsey or someone like that.

He’d be one of my top choices. Not a sexy name, but the guy just wins. I’d give that a chance all day.

People need to quit freaking out. I don’t think we’re going to make a dumb hire. Lets just wait and see. Since the admin axed Lutz, I believe they are trying to get things righted here and know this is an important decision. I’ll be confident in them, until they give me a reason not to.

When the names that have came out are Odom, Peterson and Ford, we should be able to freak out.

I dont think Odom was legit. I mean, we all know he’s not going to get hired here.

Peterson is a maybe. And, while I dont think it would be a good hire, necessarily, I wouldnt think he is doomed to fail either.

Ford was floated by a Charlotte Observer NBA writer who started it with, “I dont know what I’m talking about, etc”. He has no shot either.

We do?

Brownell is inked through 2013-2014 at Wright State and makes a heft salary:

That's why today, July 24, Grant released news of a new six-year agreement with Brownell — [b]through the 2013-14 season[/b] — that will pay the coach a base salary of [b]$365,000[/b], easily the most for a coach at the school and about $65,000 more than Brownell was paid last season, when his team went 21-10.

I don’t see us affording that buyout on top of already paying Lutz’s remaining salary.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/wsu/2008/07/24/ddn072408spbrownellweb.html

We do?[/quote]
yes

We do?[/quote]

Well, I mean, I don’t ‘know’, but I’d be totally, 100% shocked. Wouldn’t you? It would be a dumb hire. I haven’t seen evidence that we are that dumb yet.

From everything I have read and researched Brownell would be a fantastic choice for Charlotte. I hope they can work things out. seems he would be a match in all the important areas.

Looks like a good option.

The contract is going to be the biggest obstacle for hiring Brownell. While I do think we could come up with the money for a buyout, paying Brownell, a buyout, and Lutz is too much. If Lutz would’ve got the ECU job, it might have been a more realistic possibility.

[quote=“Ninerballin, post:13, topic:22851”]The contract is going to be the biggest obstacle for hiring Brownell. While I do think we could come up with the money for a buyout, paying Brownell, a buyout, and Lutz is too much. If Lutz would’ve got the ECU job, it might have been a more realistic possibility.[/quote]I said the same about Rice, and got tore to shreds by a couple of the usual suspects :-* . Its like paying 3 coaches at once: new coach deal, his old deal, and Lutz deal. I do think some contracts have a clause that reduces the amount owed in a case like Rice or Brownell if they are offered a better gig/more money.

I think Lutz ends up at a major university as the top asst. Thats a 150k gig, then we only owe him 80k per yr.

If Brad Stevens leaves Butler I would think that increases the chances of Brownell sticking around at Wright State.

I think Brownell can coach, but I am not 100% sold on his recruiting ability. That all changes if he can bring in some top level assistants to recruit, but chances are his staff would resemble the one he would bring from Wright State.

[quote=“metro, post:14, topic:22851”][quote=“Ninerballin, post:13, topic:22851”]The contract is going to be the biggest obstacle for hiring Brownell. While I do think we could come up with the money for a buyout, paying Brownell, a buyout, and Lutz is too much. If Lutz would’ve got the ECU job, it might have been a more realistic possibility.[/quote]I said the same about Rice, and got tore to shreds by a couple of the usual suspects :-* . Its like paying 3 coaches at once: new coach deal, his old deal, and Lutz deal. I do think some contracts have a clause that reduces the amount owed in a case like Rice or Brownell if they are offered a better gig/more money.

I think Lutz ends up at a major university as the top asst. Thats a 150k gig, then we only owe him 80k per yr.[/quote]

But wouldn’t it also affect hiring Buzz?

Haven’t seen Brownell’s name mentioned lately, this is a candidate i think that would be the best hire so why don’t we get him?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

See my post above. He’s making $365K per year, and is signed through 2014. You can figure at minimim $750K to buy him out and we would probably have to pay him at least $450K per year to even get him here. Unless a miraculous deal can be reached, we don’t have the cash to pay for Bobby’s buyout, Brownell’s buyout, and then Brownell’s annual salary.

Per Gary Parrish, in the mix at Clemson.

CBSSports.com: Source: Clemson meets Wright State’s Brownell