Brion Carnes - Nebraska QB/WR transfer

Carnes will have 2 years left and has stated he wants to go where he can play right away, hello FCS. Mullen recruited/offered Carnes while he was at WVU.

Rivals - 4 star

Scout - 3 star

ESPN - 3 star

Although I really like Johnson, It would be nice to get this guy in here for two years…but does he want to play somewhere that he’s not competing for anything?

bring him on as a WR/“wildcat” (or should i say “Niner”?) :o

I’m all for it. Any hint as to it being possible?

Forgive me if I’m wrong because I don’t know all the transfer rules for football yet. However, I thought that since we have declared our intention to move up and have accepted an FBS invite, FBS transfers would now have to sit out a year.

They don’t have to sit out yet. Not until we become an official D1 school. I still believe we need to take a QB transfer.

Johnson played good in the spring game, and I think he has potential to be a good qb. However, we don’t have a lot of depth on our team so the White team defense wasn’t even remotely close to what GW or ODU is gonna put on the field. I think transfer QB is the way to go. I would like for Johnson to develop under a dang god transfer for a year or two first.

[quote=“Ruckus42, post:6, topic:27746”]They don’t have to sit out yet. Not until we become an official D1 school. I still believe we need to take a QB transfer.

Johnson played good in the spring game, and I think he has potential to be a good qb. However, we don’t have a lot of depth on our team so the White team defense wasn’t even remotely close to what GW or ODU is gonna put on the field. I think transfer QB is the way to go. I would like for Johnson to develop under a dang god transfer for a year or two first.[/quote]

If a football player is going to be your senior QB you play him early and often.

[quote=“Dowless, post:7, topic:27746”][quote=“Ruckus42, post:6, topic:27746”]They don’t have to sit out yet. Not until we become an official D1 school. I still believe we need to take a QB transfer.

Johnson played good in the spring game, and I think he has potential to be a good qb. However, we don’t have a lot of depth on our team so the White team defense wasn’t even remotely close to what GW or ODU is gonna put on the field. I think transfer QB is the way to go. I would like for Johnson to develop under a dang god transfer for a year or two first.[/quote]

If a football player is going to be your senior QB you play him early and often.[/quote]
But not if you have another one that is better.

Tennessee State appears to be the leader
http://www.bradenton.com/2013/04/24/4496317/commentary-kedric-johnson-transferring.html

Well dang. Nevermind

that sorta sums it up.

13 of 14, 174 yards, 1 TD, QB Rating 220, 12 yds per attempt

[quote=“MeanJoeGreen, post:12, topic:27746”]13 of 14, 174 yards, 1 TD, QB Rating 220, 12 yds per attempt[/quote]Against an undersized 2nd string defense that’s never played a college game.

Wait… were a player’s spring game statistics really brought into a discussion as to whether or not a particular player should start over a potential incoming transfer target from a top-tier program?

Welcome to football, Niner Nation. We have a lot to learn.

Wait… were a player’s spring game statistics really brought into a discussion as to whether or not a particular player should start over a potential incoming transfer target from a top-tier program?

Welcome to football, Niner Nation. We have a lot to learn.[/quote]

Yeah no doubt! His numbers looked fine and the fact he had a good game is a much better sign than if he struggled.

I will say I am not sure I really want a transfer QB to come in because I am looking at Matt as the starter in 2015 with 2 years under his belt. I like that better than a transfer leading us to a bunch of wins and then handing the keys to Johnson as a junior with little game experience. I am 100% ok with Matt growing with the team so that we will be more prepared in 2015.

Are you serious?

Yeah no doubt! His numbers looked fine and the fact he had a good game is a much better sign than if he struggled.

I will say I am not sure I really want a transfer QB to come in because I am looking at Matt as the starter in 2015 with 2 years under his belt. I like that better than a transfer leading us to a bunch of wins and then handing the keys to Johnson as a junior with little game experience. I am 100% ok with Matt growing with the team so that we will be more prepared in 2015.[/quote]

I am ok with Matt starting if that is what the staff thinks is best. I’ve said this several times but I think it is imperative that we capture the momentum of football that we have now. The momentum for 49er football is sky high. Therefore, we MUST win now. Our schedule for year 1 and 2 is not killer. We need a QB that can win games in those first two years so we can keep this going in a positive direction and keep winning recruiting battles in our area. We have to win and win now, much like the ODU model. If the staff thinks Matt is that guy, then so be it. However, I would like to see a transfer QB come in and at the very least lets find out who the best is.

I will say I am not sure I really want a transfer QB to come in because I am looking at Matt as the starter in 2015 with 2 years under his belt. I like that better than a transfer leading us to a bunch of wins and then handing the keys to Johnson as a junior with little game experience. I am 100% ok with Matt growing with the team so that we will be more prepared in 2015.[/quote]

I am ok with Matt starting if that is what the staff thinks is best. I’ve said this several times but I think it is imperative that we capture the momentum of football that we have now. The momentum for 49er football is sky high. Therefore, we MUST win now. Our schedule for year 1 and 2 is not killer. We need a QB that can win games in those first two years so we can keep this going in a positive direction and keep winning recruiting battles in our area. We have to win and win now, much like the ODU model. If the staff thinks Matt is that guy, then so be it. However, I would like to see a transfer QB come in and at the very least lets find out who the best is.[/quote]

Fair enough - I just don’t want to be breaking in a new QB when we hit 2015 and will most likely have a rough go of it.

Matt seems to be a great kid, from a good family, with a smart head on his shoulders. However, one of the pivotal recruiting pitches to most of our first two classes was PLAYING TIME. I hope Matt and others understand and accept any decision by the staff to start a more experienced player a particular position if we have one available. Don’t want kids to feel like they were misled. I’m not saying that is going to happen, and I get the feeling that Matt would be a great leader and team player. Just a tough situation for the coaching staff if the opportunity presents itself.

For the record, I am 100% behind Matt Johnson as the starter if he’s the guy the coaches think is best. That being said, spring game numbers are not admissible evidence to support or debunk anything.

That would be like saying Colby should have been a starter because he hit a few threes in pre-game warmups.