Browser Missing Content

For some reason, certain things do not show up on certain pages. Here is an example of what I mean. If you go to Ebay’s homepage and everything works fine, you should see all the graphic layers on the page. But on my computer at home, I’m missing some stuff and getting this:

Anyone know what’s causing this or how I can fix it so that everything on the webpage shows up??

Do you have any popup blockers/Norton Internet stuff running?
If I leave Norton up and running (not the anti virus, the Internet
Security crap), I can’t see hotlinked images. Popup blockers and
similar software will deactivate ActiveX and crap like that, which
might also cause this.

Otherwise, see if it happens with Netscape or another browser. Maybe
you just need to update IE or whatever you are using.

Using the latest IE with the most current updates. Running the same browser/updates at work and not having this problem so I know it’s not a problem with that. I disabled my popup software and no luck. I’m running Norton Systemworks 2003 here but not at work so I’m wondering if it may have something to do with that. However, I completely disabled it and also disable the script blocking feature as well and neither worked. Still getting the “Action Canceled” messages all the time.

I’m clueless…

You might want to try clearing all of your temporary internet files and cookies. I’m no computer expert, but that has worked for me in the past with similar problems.

You might also want to try another browser like Florida suggested. There are several free ones out there that are supposed to be better than IE (I haven’t tried them though). Mozilla is the mosy popular one I think. Here is some more info:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kim…5-komando_x.htm

Had already tried the cookie/temp files thing with no luck. I know it’s not directly related to IE6 because I didn’t have this problem on my old computer with it and nor do I have this problem at work with IE6. I seriously think it’s a Norton issue but I can’t pinpoint the source of the problem. I have virtually the same setup here as I do at work with the exception of Norton Systemworks. I’m running McAfee at work with no issues. And I also didn’t have Norton installed on my old computer here at home when I was problem-free.

Guess I’ll have to do some more research and find out what’s causing me problems.

jcl, i used to have that problem. I formatted everything a few days ago (drastic measure, but not for the problem you have), and everything shows up correctly.

It only appeared to block out advertisements for me, so it wasn’t a problem at all, seeing as I wasn’t going to click on them anyway.

I don’t know how to help you, just know that you’re not alone. (well, you might be now, but you weren’t alone when i had the problem).

Ok, here’s a suggestion, try mozilla or better yet FireFox. I love FireFox as well as mozilla. Built in tabbed browsing is the best. Mozilla and Firefox are offshoots of Netscape. I only use internet explorer these days for sites that happen to require IE because of an activex control or something…

Firefox site

mozilla site

They are both good, but mozilla is more of a package like netscape communicator while firefox is just a DARN fast browser…

-Mac

Okay, I’ll admit…I hate change but I am absolutely digging FireFox at the moment. Figured I’d try it out at work before putting it on my home computer and it is definitely faster and I love the tab browsing. I will certainly be installing it when I get home.

JCL,

That’s an ActiveX based ad. You may have all the same proxy based filter software, but one of your PCs has ActiveX disabled. It’s in the security options in IE. Simple check box. But be careful, ActiveX can be used maliciously to install crap on your PC. I advise you to select the “prompt me” option if it’s available.

There’s another snag to the problem NA because I had already tried that. All my ActiveX options were set to “prompt” and I still can’t pages to load completely. I’ll double-check the ActiveX settings when I get home but I’m almost certain I ruled that source of conflict out last night.

Hey Mac,

When using FireFox and I click on the “smilies” for the Shout Box, I’m getting a JavaScript Console box popup. Is there anything I can adjust to prevent that or is it something I’ll have to live with if I use FireFox for the majority of my internet usage?

I haven’t quite figured out the problem with the smilies popup and firefox. It’s the only issue I’ve ever had with firefox though and I haven’t seen it on any other sites. I may go play around some other InVision Board sites and see if it’s inherent or not.

Truly, for anyone out there, I’d really suggest trying FireFox as it’s pretty darn cool. That is spoken from someone who hated the netscape browser…

-Mac

I do like FireFox but there is one thing I don’t care for. What bugs me the most (because I’m a BIG Ebay user) is that when you’re scrolling down a page of items, click on an item for the detailed viewing and then go “back”, it automatically takes you back up to the top of the page instead of to the place you last looked/clicked. Not a major issue but it’s annoying when you use search on Ebay a lot.

Then again, it’s a very early release so I’m sure they’ll improve on some things.

One thing I LOVE those is being able to place bookmarks directly on the toolbar. That comes in super handy when you have 3 or 4 sites that you visit more regularly than others.

I like being able to change the skins as well and completely customize the toolbar functions. Nice browser with a lot of potential.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jun 18 2004, 09:56 AM [b] I do like FireFox but there is one thing I don't care for. What bugs me the most (because I'm a BIG Ebay user) is that when you're scrolling down a page of items, click on an item for the detailed viewing and then go "back", it automatically takes you back up to the top of the page instead of to the place you last looked/clicked. Not a major issue but it's annoying when you use search on Ebay a lot.

Then again, it’s a very early release so I’m sure they’ll improve on some things.

One thing I LOVE those is being able to place bookmarks directly on the toolbar. That comes in super handy when you have 3 or 4 sites that you visit more regularly than others.

I like being able to change the skins as well and completely customize the toolbar functions. Nice browser with a lot of potential. [/b]

I’ve noticed that with ebay and other sites. The way I combat it for now is to use the “wheel click” to open the link in a new tab. That way, my original page is still there where I left it and I just 'wheel click" the tab when I’m done with the item I was looking at.

-Mac