Business NOT QUITE ready to buy into UNCC football

Cover story in this week’s Charlotte Business Journal.

Opening of story…"UNC Charlotte has moved a step closer to entering the football business, but questions remain over whether business stands ready to embrace a Queen City college program.

A study by veteran sports marketing executive Max Muhleman of potential corporate support for a UNC Charlotte football program found the reaction to local business leaders to be “narrowly encouraging”.

Muhleman’s company conducted the study for a feasibility committee led by retired Wachovia executive Mac Everett.

…not going to type the entire story but as I finish reading it, if there is something, I’ll try to add on.

EDIT: “Many were skeptical, especially with a lack of information on the campus stadium.”

“the schools plan to play several searsons at Memorial Stadium raised concerns among many business leaders”.

Carl Scheer quote: “There is a real concern in the business community about whether this can be successful and who should carry the burden.”

MORE EDIT: Everett believes once those questions are answered, including the future of a campus stadium, the corporate world will jump on board.

EVEN MORE EDIT: interest levels plummeted when executives considered support for 1-AA team as compared to 1-A team.

Signature Sports has made informal inquires among existing sponsors and other contacts. According to them, its too early to gauge how much companies would be willing to contribute.

for the rest of the story, spend a dollar or 2 and read Eric Spanburg’s actual story.

I can believe that. Until they see all the details about how a program would be run, where they would play and associated costs I would expect restrained interested from the corporate community.

my personal opinion of the story.

Confirmed what I suspected.
There are 2 key elements to this whole thing.

If they roll out football without a 1) “viable” on campus stadium plan and without a 2) “viable” plan to get to D1 football, 49er football will be like giving a drowning man a glass of water.

Very curious to see what the school considers to be “viable” plans. Hope their intentions match the business community.

Businesses are skeptical means they are Commie Fascist Terrorist Lovers. LOL.

can we hire away florida atlantic or the south florida coach? I think he did a good job bringing them out of nothing. Then businesses would be begging to get in

this should be a parallel to the way athletics are run now. The business world is reluctant to support anything that is run half-ass.

Link: [URL=http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2007/11/12/story3.html]Will Charlotte Inc. buy into UNCC football?[/URL]

[URL=http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/][/URL]

[QUOTE=CharlotteBusinessJournal] Friday, November 9, 2007
Will Charlotte Inc. buy into UNCC football?
Max Muhleman studying potential ticket sales
Charlotte Business Journal - by Erik Spanberg Senior staff writer

photo NANCY PIERCE
Max Muhleman
[URL=http://cll.bizjournals.com/story_image/102322-400-0.jpg?rev=2]View Larger[/URL]
The man behind the city’s successful NFL franchise bid has been recruited to gauge corporate support for football at UNC Charlotte.

Veteran sports-marketing executive Max Muhleman’s study, which is testing whether the business community will buy tickets, should be completed later this month.

It will be part of the material gathered by a university-appointed committee studying the feasibility of a UNC Charlotte football program.

Muhleman’s firm, Private Sports Consulting, is focused solely on potential demand for tickets in the $20 to $30 range per game.

Luxury suites and other premium tickets have not been part of the surveys because it is likely a UNC Charlotte team would play at Memorial Stadium for a few seasons before a stadium is built on campus.

Adding a major football program at a growing university in a large city offers great potential, the sports marketer believes.

“It’s an exciting prospect,” Muhleman says. “They should have the benefit of enthusiastic support from Charlotte’s business community.”

At the same time, he says his study is aimed neither at raising nor dimming hopes for football at the school. Instead, the goal is to get an accurate reading of what a realistic level of support could be for the program.

The study is one of many steps taken by the university committee formed earlier this year. Retired Wachovia Corp. executive Mac Everett chairs the 10-member football committee. The university’s board of trustees authorized up to $150,000 to study the feasibility of adding football.

The committee will make a recommendation early next year to Chancellor Phil Dubois.

The committee lost its 11th member when alum and Bank of America Corp. Chief Financial Officer Joe Price joined the UNC Charlotte board of trustees. Through a bank spokesman, Price declined comment on the potential support among corporations for football at UNCC.

Everett’s committee plans to make a recommendation to Dubois in February. The chancellor will then turn the matter over to the board of trustees, with a decision expected by mid-2008.

Initial findings show a football team would require an investment of up to $10 million a year, including expenses related to adding women’s teams to ensure gender equity. The school’s current athletic budget for 16 sports is $10 million.

Beyond the annual costs for football, another $100 million to $125 million would be needed to build an on-campus stadium and practice facility. The majority of operating funds would be generated by a $300 hike in student fees, which are now $445 annually.

Projections have been conservative for corporate and donor support. Those figures are estimated at $1 million annually.

“The key question is whether people will buy tickets,” Muhleman says. “That’s where it all starts.”

Experts say corporate sponsorships could be limited, particularly during the football program’s early days.

If the 49ers play at Memorial Stadium for a few years, the aging venue would offer no video scoreboard for advertisers. Other options available in newer and upgraded stadiums would also be unavailable for the program to generate revenue.

Corporate support through donations and ticket purchases would be a much stronger sell.

“Bringing football would give the school a different angle to get corporations involved,” says Steve Hall, principal at Signature Sports Group Inc. Hall, a UNC Charlotte graduate, sells sponsorships for the school’s men’s basketball program. “It’s hard to say how that moves the needle on sponsorships.”

In recent weeks, the committee has hosted campus forums with alumni, faculty, staff and students to glean opinions and questions on the impact of a football team.

“It’s not asking whether or not you want football,” Everett says. “It’s asking the questions our committee has looked at. If we decide to have football at UNC Charlotte, what are the consequences? And if you decide not to have football, what are the consequences? There are some for both.”

Proponents point to several reasons why football should be added. It generates excitement for students and alums, brings broader national recognition and helps other athletic programs because major conferences are more willing to accept a school with a major-level football program.

Skeptics – and proponents – acknowledge the chief shortcoming of football: It’s expensive. Other concerns include its potential all-consuming role on campus, which could detract from academics as well as the rest of the athletic department.

A student forum this week included several comments in that regard, but the 25 or so students who participated offered widespread support for bringing football to campus.

“Students that I talk to are overwhelmingly positive on the football issue,” says Jay Atkinson, a UNC Charlotte senior on the football committee. Atkinson, a former student government member, says students are also “hesitant to say they’re definitely going to pay an extra $300 per semester. That’s a large number.”

All contents of this site © American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.
[/QUOTE]

referencing the taking away from other athletics statement… I wish I could tell these people that Im one of many fans who will be niner football fans when it comes, but will always be a niner basketball fan for life.

for the rest of the story, spend a dollar or 2 and read Eric Spanburg's actual story.

I remember Eric Spamburg dogging us in the height or our rein in CUSA on Mark Packers show, he’s a douchebag that thinks the SEC rules the world.

This is old news. It was posted before the committee gave a unanimous yes vote and includes conservative estimates which I would expect from the Charlotte Buisness Journal. Nothing in here surprises me. I’d be pleasantly surprised if we raise that $1 million a year at the FCS level.

you’ll be shocked by my opinion…
I think the business community is lukewarm on the idea because of Judy Rose. They know she is mediocre at best in regards to selling and marketing/promotion, and she does not have the charisma to launch a football team effectively. For football to go gangbusters, we are gonna need A HELL OF A SALESPERSON, and its not her. It also doesn’t help that internally some key people in her department think football won’t work and demean it behind the scenes. Charlotte has turned into a very white collar town, and she is too country to be taken seriously by the CEO’s of Charlotte.

Wait, we have a WOMAN as our AD?? :tongue:

Wait, we have a WOMAN as our AD?? :tongue:

yeah, I know thats news to Clemson49er-Eye of the Niner :lmao:

The link to the CBJ posted above is either abbreviated, or I bought a different edition (print edition). The printed article had these 2 comments:

“National consultants and college football executives who met with Everett’s comittee during its six month study consistently emphasized the importance of landing in an attractive athletic conference.”

“Beyond the growing student body, other reasons cited for supporting the addition of football at UNC Charlotte include:
-Helping the school’s basketball program gain greater prominence with a better conference affiliation.”

The article echoed my point of view in that support will depend on a definite schedule for the campus stadium and the move to 1-A. Steve Hall should also emphasize contacting new businesses with CEO’s who went to school somewhere other than the traditional “Big Four” ACC schools. Charlotte has more of these every month. I say this because the article mentioned as a negative many CEO’s loyalty to other schools.

I hope the Chancellor maps it out with definitive dates, such as October 1, 2012, rather than language such as "in the fall of 2012, hopefully, maybe, if conditions are right, etc.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17965

There is one and only one advantage to Memorial over any on campus stadium…BEER!:biggrin:

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;281008]This is old news. It was posted before the committee gave a unanimous yes vote and includes conservative estimates which I would expect from the Charlotte Buisness Journal. Nothing in here surprises me. I’d be pleasantly surprised if we raise that $1 million a year at the FCS level.[/QUOTE]

What Ninerballin linked IS OLD NEWS (November, 2007) …the story I referrenced is from January 4, 2008

The November story talked about Muhleman starting a study. The January story talks about the results of the study.

As far as Metro’s comments about Spanburg’s motives, he might have some. I have no idea. I found him to be more of a reporter than a columnist in this particular story.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;281086]What Ninerballin linked IS OLD NEWS (November, 2007) …the story I referrenced is from January 4, 2008

The November story talked about Muhleman starting a study. The January story talks about the results of the study.

As far as Metro’s comments about Spanburg’s motives, he might have some. I have no idea. I found him to be more of a reporter than a columnist in this particular story.[/QUOTE]

Well its still the same basic info in the first article though.

Who can blame the Charlotte buisness communitys’ skeptisism?

We still (except for Chancellor) have the exact same crew in place as we did when we joined CUSA without even mentioning the possibility of adding football. We let the 10 year oppurtunity that CUSA provided us to slip through our fingers, why should anyone take us seriously until we put out a comprehensive plan to add football AND move to FBS in 4 years.

See this is why I have always advocated not accepting the concept of staying in FCS too long. FBS is all buisness cares about and its all we should care about. We will need the corporate support not only to fund our team but to be attractive to a BCS conference. To get that corporate support we need a modern stadium and a comprehensive plan to reach FBS in 4 years with that stadium to open on day one of FBS play.

Please notice that no one even mentioned BoA Stadium, it is not a viable option. Once the U puts its money where its mouth is, then the buisness community will take us seriously, but not until then.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;281071]There is one and only one advantage to Memorial over any on campus stadium…BEER!:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you can serve beer if that venue is your designated home venue. My understanding is that since Bobcats Arena is not our designated home venue, they are allowed to serve beer.

There are some advantages to playing in Memorial the first few seasons, like exposure to the uptown community, but this can only be a temporary home.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;281735]I don’t think you can serve beer if that venue is your designated home venue. My understanding is that since Bobcats Arena is not our designated home venue, they are allowed to serve beer.

There are some advantages to playing in Memorial the first few seasons, like exposure to the uptown community, but this can only be a temporary home.[/QUOTE]

NCAA teams that play at off campus venues have no restriction on beer sales. I’m pretty sure you can go to Heinz Field and buy beer for a Pitt game. To my understanding it is an on campus restriction only.