Butler center Smith out vs. Charlotte

Butler center Andrew Smith to miss Wednesday’s game:

http://bit.ly/XrvjTj

Big loss for Butler, still have to figure out how to cover Clarke.

Sadly we need all the help we can get in this one.

Now we need their next two top guys to be out and we can get this by 20!

(extra credit for knowing which game I’m referencing)!!

Dare I say, we might see an opponents “bench player” step up…its not like we haven’t given career nights to benchwarmers before. Just 5 days ago, we gave O’Brien his career high, IIRC and the other bench player had double figures for the first time all year I think.

We don’t win this game and our only way into the Tournament is to play in the A10 Tourney Champ Game. I just don’t see the selection committee thinking home wins against X, LaSalle and hopefully Temple will be enough.

That might be the only advantage we have on Butler, post scoring and rebounding (though Marshall and Jones are strong players down low, so maybe not). Having Smith out will help, but I’m not sure how much.

I find it a little silly to talk about what it would take to get an at-large bid when we have proven (even though we are a much improved team and program) that we are not a NCAA tournament calibre team. We’re just not.

NIT is a good step forward for this team and the program…and in all honesty, that’s who we are at this point.

No shame in that.

[quote=“2k, post:2, topic:27482”]Big loss for Butler, still have to figure out how to cover Clarke.[/quote]As well as Dunham (10.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg , 1.3 apg), Jones (10.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.4 apg), and Marshall (10.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg).

I find it a little silly to talk about what it would take to get an at-large bid when we have proven (even though we are a much improved team and program) that we are not a NCAA tournament calibre team. We’re just not.

NIT is a good step forward for this team and the program…and in all honesty, that’s who we are at this point.

No shame in that.[/quote]

nit is not acceptable here. bottom line. at least in most years.

nit is not acceptable here. bottom line. at least in most years.[/quote]

Most years? This program has seen no NCAA and the NIT twice in the past 8 or 9 years. I will take the NIT this season no question. Take off the green-tinted glasses everyone…this program has sucked for a long time.

Most years? This program has seen no NCAA and the NIT twice in the past 8 or 9 years. I will take the NIT this season no question. Take off the green-tinted glasses everyone…this program has sucked for a long time.[/quote]

Yeah I have to agree with the above. Normally I share the NCAA or bust attitude. However two years ago the unthinkable happened and we did not even make the A-10 tourney. Last year we improved on that, and barring a collapse we should move on to the NIT this year.

Not that I am giving up on my dream of the NCAA this year, but with each loss it is slipping further and further away.

Most years? This program has seen no NCAA and the NIT twice in the past 8 or 9 years. I will take the NIT this season no question. Take off the green-tinted glasses everyone…this program has sucked for a long time.[/quote]

We certainly have been down the last few years, but that is one huge exaggeration.

We certainly have been down the last few years, but that is one huge exaggeration.[/quote]

I do and I don’t disagree with this.

For most programs, we certainly have not sucked for a while. Many programs would kill to have the record over the last ten years that we have.

That being said, given our potential and past, we have not played up to our expectations in some time. We may be well-exceeding our expectations for this year, but we really shouldn’t have fallen to such a level that our single-season expectations are so low.

Most years? This program has seen no NCAA and the NIT twice in the past 8 or 9 years. I will take the NIT this season no question. Take off the green-tinted glasses everyone…this program has sucked for a long time.[/quote]I can’t go with the sucked part, but on the NIT I am with you. We have had the argument on here before, and I was in the small, small minority, but I would rather go to the NIT and win a couple of games than go to the NCAAs as a 14 seed and lose the first game. We are building a culture of winning again. I know only two teams will end their seasons with a win, but the more we can get the better.

Most years? This program has seen no NCAA and the NIT twice in the past 8 or 9 years. I will take the NIT this season no question. Take off the green-tinted glasses everyone…this program has sucked for a long time.[/quote]I can’t go with the sucked part, but on the NIT I am with you. We have had the argument on here before, and I was in the small, small minority, but I would rather go to the NIT and win a couple of games than go to the NCAAs as a 14 seed and lose the first game. We are building a culture of winning again. I know only two teams will end their seasons with a win, but the more we can get the better.[/quote]

Not even close. It is much better to go as any seed higher than 16 in the NCAA and then lose. Think of it this way, if we get in there is at least a whole week of #14 Charlotte vs. #3 whomever. That’s a lot of press and ink on a national stage. By contrast if we were to make the NIT there would be minimal analysis of the initial match up or even if we won. In fact I would go so far as to say that playing in the first round of the NCAA garners more press than making the final four of the NIT. (I refuse to call the play ins “round 1”) In that light I would much rather take my chances at #14. Also think of the upside! If #14 Charlotte beats #3 whomever, possible given the amount of upsets this year, (TCU over Kansas) that would be even more press, ink, and relevance. We need those three things far more than a few more wins in the NIT.

Most years? This program has seen no NCAA and the NIT twice in the past 8 or 9 years. I will take the NIT this season no question. Take off the green-tinted glasses everyone…this program has sucked for a long time.[/quote]I can’t go with the sucked part, but on the NIT I am with you. We have had the argument on here before, and I was in the small, small minority, but I would rather go to the NIT and win a couple of games than go to the NCAAs as a 14 seed and lose the first game. We are building a culture of winning again. I know only two teams will end their seasons with a win, but the more we can get the better.[/quote]

Not even close. It is much better to go as any seed higher than 16 in the NCAA and then lose. Think of it this way, if we get in there is at least a whole week of #14 Charlotte vs. #3 whomever. That’s a lot of press and ink on a national stage. By contrast if we were to make the NIT there would be minimal analysis of the initial match up or even if we won. In fact I would go so far as to say that playing in the first round of the NCAA garners more press than making the final four of the NIT. (I refuse to call the play ins “round 1”) In that light I would much rather take my chances at #14. Also think of the upside! If #14 Charlotte beats #3 whomever, possible given the amount of upsets this year, (TCU over Kansas) that would be even more press, ink, and relevance. We need those three things far more than a few more wins in the NIT.[/quote]

Agreed. Even a 1st round loss in the NCAA is better than advancing in the NIT.

Not even close. It is much better to go as any seed higher than 16 in the NCAA and then lose. Think of it this way, if we get in there is at least a whole week of #14 Charlotte vs. #3 whomever. That’s a lot of press and ink on a national stage. By contrast if we were to make the NIT there would be minimal analysis of the initial match up or even if we won. In fact I would go so far as to say that playing in the first round of the NCAA garners more press than making the final four of the NIT. (I refuse to call the play ins “round 1”) In that light I would much rather take my chances at #14. Also think of the upside! If #14 Charlotte beats #3 whomever, possible given the amount of upsets this year, (TCU over Kansas) that would be even more press, ink, and relevance. We need those three things far more than a few more wins in the NIT.[/quote]This is one of those things that there is just not much way to quantify. Don’t get me wrong though, if we go the the NCAAs I will be looking for a plane ticket for sure. In my post I said going as a 14 seed and losing was not as valuable as winning a couple in the NITs. I will agree with you that if we upset a 3 seed that is better, but unlikely and not my premise. That first weekend there are so many games that unless you are in a marquee matchup, or it turns into a nail-biter you are likely to get lost in the shuffle. Luckily I bet we can agree that either post-season tournament is a big step and great thing for the program.

Can’t quantify low NCAA seed versus winning a couple in NIT? Yes, you can. The payout for NCAA has to be much greater and ,right now, Charlotte athletics can use every dime it can get.
At this point, I’ll take just playing past the conference tournament, though.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:19, topic:27482”]Can’t quantify low NCAA seed versus winning a couple in NIT? Yes, you can. The payout for NCAA has to be much greater and ,right now, Charlotte athletics can use every dime it can get.
At this point, I’ll take just playing past the conference tournament, though.[/quote]

Me, too.

While avid basketball fans know that making the NIT final four is better than making the round of 64 or even 32 in the NCAA, that same isn’t true for the vast majority of fans who consider pretty much every team in the NCAA tournament to be better than every team in the NIT (exception for a few of the 16 and 15 seeds). Plus, even if you get bounced in the first round, you can say you went to the tourney when on the road recruiting.