BYU to go independent in football

They have their own TV network so they are leaving the conference. This could cause another round of conference realignment.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-byu081810

[quote=“JaMiNNiNeR, post:1, topic:23769”]They have their own TV network so they are leaving the conference. This could cause another round of conference realignment.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-byu081810[/quote]

From not thought about to irrelevant. Nice move BYU.

Edit: Just saw where Nevada and Fresno State have departed the WAC to go to the MWC. BYU’s decision may be the worst move in modern-day college athletics.

ND could make a TV network since about 1/2 the country is Catholic. There aren’t enough Mormons for a BYU TV network to be profitable. As it stands now, BYU is one of the top teams in the MWC. Now they will be as irrelevant as Army & Navy.

The article says BYU-TV programming spreads the gospel of the LDS Church. Ok, who thinks someone watching a ball game is going to watch any of the tv shows they advertise for another time? Come on people.

About 24% of the US is Cathloic
About 11% of the US is Irish

About 24% of the US is Cathloic
About 11% of the US is Irish
[/quote]

This Guy! But I have ZERO attachment to Notre Dame.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/19/1632144/wac-commish-calls-latest-departures.html

Now this is hilarious.

Me thinks BYU is nuts.

BYU now has a 3 game series w/ Texas: http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5479362

First game was already set, now added 2 more.

Would not have thought that BYU leads the alltime series w/ Texas 2-0.

I don’t, especially since they don’t have to abide by that WAC scheduling contract if they aren’t in the WAC for all other sports. BYU can now play all the teams in the MWC that are good and avoid all the cellar dwellers.

CHARLOTTE TO THE WAC!!!

I don’t, especially since they don’t have to abide by that WAC scheduling contract if they aren’t in the WAC for all other sports. BYU can now play all the teams in the MWC that are good and avoid all the cellar dwellers.[/quote]

Though that is true, how are they ever going to have a chance to get either a BCS automatic bid (via future MWC champ) or an at-large (current MWC method)? The BCS certainly isn’t going to let them get an at-large as an independent.

And why would the MWC allow it’s schools to play BYU over the next few years? They leave the conference, and you let your schools help them? Make them play WAC or Sun Belt schools. No way I let one of my schools go to BYU for a game should they choose to leave the conference if I’m the MWC commish.

I don’t, especially since they don’t have to abide by that WAC scheduling contract if they aren’t in the WAC for all other sports. BYU can now play all the teams in the MWC that are good and avoid all the cellar dwellers.[/quote]

Though that is true, how are they ever going to have a chance to get either a BCS automatic bid (via future MWC champ) or an at-large (current MWC method)? The BCS certainly isn’t going to let them get an at-large as an independent.

And why would the MWC allow it’s schools to play BYU over the next few years? They leave the conference, and you let your schools help them? Make them play WAC or Sun Belt schools. No way I let one of my schools go to BYU for a game should they choose to leave the conference if I’m the MWC commish.[/quote]

The BCS doesn’t have a choice in independant vs conference schools. If BYU gets into the top 10 of the BCS, they are going into the pool with the rest of the top 10. Then it is up to the bowls themselves. If they finish top 2, they get to play for the title.

Nothing from BYU has been finalized. Looks like the Fresno St. and Nevada moves have caused BYU to go back to the drawing board before making this move.

And why would the MWC allow it’s schools to play BYU over the next few years? They leave the conference, and you let your schools help them? Make them play WAC or Sun Belt schools. No way I let one of my schools go to BYU for a game should they choose to leave the conference if I’m the MWC commish.[/quote]

The BCS doesn’t have a choice in independant vs conference schools. If BYU gets into the top 10 of the BCS, they are going into the pool with the rest of the top 10. Then it is up to the bowls themselves. If they finish top 2, they get to play for the title.[/quote]

BYU isn’t going to be able to do that as in independent. Notre Dame hasn’t even sniffed a BCS bid lately, and they have far more recruiting pull and political pull than BYU. Remember, the polls are a huge factor in the BCS. I don’t see teams lining up to go to Provo to play them, at least not teams like Texas. Notre Dame gets people to come play them with their “tradition” and NBC contract. What does BYU have? The scenic stadium won’t make it happen.

If you actually know what channel the BYU channel is on DirecTV’s lineup, raise your hand. I think it’s 379, but I’ve never watched it for more than 3 minutes. I can see millions tuning in to watch them now that they left the MWC.

They better start kissing some MWC feet, otherwise, they will be an afterthought. The MWC would be wise to take them back if they wanted to return, but under no circumstances should the MWC give them ANY concessions.

Notre Dame hasn’t sniffed a bid because they have been awful.

Exactly. And how is being an independent going to HELP BYU?

They play in a great conference? X
They have a big TV contract ? X
They play a great schedule? Doubtful.

Notre Dame still gets some recruits by having that NBC contract and clinging to a tradition that ended 45 years ago. BYU has none of that to recruit with, and will no longer have a conference to play in if they leave. They better be developing their Mormon Pop Warner leagues if they are going to be a Top 25 team as an independent, because they aren’t going to get great talent in any other way that I can see.

Exactly. And how is being an independent going to HELP BYU?

They play in a great conference? X
They have a big TV contract ? X
They play a great schedule? Doubtful.

Notre Dame still gets some recruits by having that NBC contract and clinging to a tradition that ended 45 years ago. BYU has none of that to recruit with, and will no longer have a conference to play in if they leave. They better be developing their Mormon Pop Warner leagues if they are going to be a Top 25 team as an independent, because they aren’t going to get great talent in any other way that I can see.[/quote]

I dont understand why you keep bringing up the recruiting issue. If they can continuously do it in MWC they will be able to do it as an independant. It wasnt that long ago BYU was a national powerhouse and won a national championship. If BYU is in the top 10 at the end of the year as an independant they are in the RUNNING for a BCS spot. Thats a fact. Notre Dame hasnt been here because they have sucked. They shouldnt have been there when they got blown out of the Fiesta Bowl by Ohio State, but because they were ranked 10th they got the chance.

Look BYU last season they ended up 12th in the final BCS poll. 12th. As an independant they could have no scheduling limitations. That way they ould get rid of the weak teams they play such as UNLV, Whyoming, San Diego State and Colorado State.

It does make sense in a way, but obviously a stronger MWC makes sense to stay too.

The Mountain West is on track to qualify for a BCS auto-bid. It’s a stronger case with BYU but I doubt BYU is the deal breaker either. I think BYU would be smart to stay in the MWC and bet on the conference getting the bid.

I agree.