BYU to go independent in football

But now BYU has no where to go except the WCC. Checkmate MWC. No need to grab Utah St now,now they can grab whomever will help their conference the most.[/quote]

Just when you think a school has “nowhere to go,” you are forgetting the fact that they could just start a new conference. If BYU wanted to start a new conference, I’m sure they could get a few schools to follow.

But now BYU has no where to go except the WCC. Checkmate MWC. No need to grab Utah St now,now they can grab whomever will help their conference the most.[/quote]

Just when you think a school has “nowhere to go,” you are forgetting the fact that they could just start a new conference. If BYU wanted to start a new conference, I’m sure they could get a few schools to follow.[/quote]

That’s not the easiest thing to do, especially when you consider the NCAA will make them wait 3 years to qualify for post season play and who knows what bowls they’ll get to go with them.

Just when you think a school has “nowhere to go,” you are forgetting the fact that they could just start a new conference. If BYU wanted to start a new conference, I’m sure they could get a few schools to follow.[/quote]

Sure they could. The remaining WAC schools would love that at this point, but that conference with those teams plus the FCS jumpers that they would likely add would be no better than the Sun Belt for football. :o

Latest had BYU saying “no” to WAC at first, then having a change of heart. Also mentions that C-USA officials tipped off MWC about BYU’s potential return to the WAC, which was also looking at a 12-team football configuration that would have included San Diego State, UNLV, and UTEP, as well as a 14-team hoops league with Gonzaga.

SLTrib.com: BYU originally said no to WAC’s plan

Staradvertiser.com: Fleeing members foiled conference’s big plans

[quote=“Run49er, post:44, topic:23769”]Latest had BYU saying “no” to WAC at first, then having a change of heart. Also mentions that C-USA officials tipped off MWC about BYU’s potential return to the WAC, which was also looking at a 12-team football configuration that would have included San Diego State, UNLV, and UTEP, as well as a 14-team hoops league with Gonzaga.

SLTrib.com: BYU originally said no to WAC’s plan

Staradvertiser.com: Fleeing members foiled conference’s big plans[/quote]

Hmmmmmmm. So BYU, SDSU, and UNLV tried to stab the MWC in the back to make a renewed and improved WAC. They got caught, were about to get told good riddance by the MWC because better schools were out there waiting to join, and now are wishing they had not done this because they were going to get a watered down WAC with Nevada, Fresno, and possibly Utah State coming to the MWC. Well, now, doesn’t this make for a rosy future for those schools in the MWC. ;D I don’t think they can, but I would love for the MWC to boot the 3 traitors and take in 3 WAC schools just to screw them over.

Not the way I read those pieces. I got the impression that the WAC had expansion plans that originally, in the best case scenario, would have included BYU, San Diego State, and UNLV joining the conference to get 12 teams so they could have a football championship game. Sounds like SDSU and UNLV were never on board and then Boise State decided to jump ship. Later, BYU reconsidered the offer with the caveat that their football program would be independent (though scheduling 4+ WAC foes per season).

Anway, that’s my interpretation.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=14298

Now its official. BYU to go Independent in football and WCC in other sports.

Does the Mountain West go after CUSA?

CUSA Commissioner interviews from today:

http://www.thebeatofsports.com/audio/banowsky83110.html

http://www.pirateradio1250.com/site_htm/mp3_archives.htm

PS…Listening to this Pirate Radio is making me extremely jealous. If we had a radio outlet pumping us like this… :o

Well, Katz made the call on that one! Gotta feeling that the Gonzaga strangleold on WCC hoops is about to end. Will also be interesting to see who else the WCC takes on, if they decide to go to 10 members. Know that Seattle would like to join, as well as Pacific.

Will also be interesting to see what happens to the WAC. Utah State will almost definitely jump to the MWC if given a 2nd chance. Can also see overtures made to Houston and UTEP as well so that the MW can get to 12 and hold a conference football championship game.

Back to BYU, really think this whole football indy thing will backfire on them. Just a hunch, but just don’t think it will work out long-term.

Anyway, this is only the beginning. The conference landscape is really going to go through some changes over the next couple of years.

ESPN.com: WCC makes sense for BYU hoops

ESPN.com: BYU leaving MWC for 2011-12 season